Author Topic: Aceca (/Ace) Bristol Tool Tray Content  (Read 8115 times)

Anthony Blythe

• View Profile
Aceca (/Ace) Bristol Tool Tray Content
« on: March 05, 2014, 12:20:45 »
For those of you 'in the know' you'll be aware that I've recently completed a replica tool tray based on what I believe was the content for Acecas (and possibly Aces) that had AC engines. This hopefully final version was my 2nd attempt and thanks to all that help me better understand the likely tool content.

Purely for interest I wanted to find out the tool tray content for  Acecas (and again possibly Aces) with Bristol engines & through a number of conversations with other ACOC members there appears to be differences of opinion.

Looking at the photo in my copy of Rinsey Mills reference book (pages 51 & 53) the top of the tool tray is hidden by the car's handbook. Some people think a simple 6" dumbbell bar is there with a 1/4" whitworth socket at one end & a hole for a tommy bar at the other. This item having no universal joint next to the socket. I've seen an example of this item and it has a Bristol tool ID of N 600121 stamped into the bar.

Others think it should be a box / plug bar arrangement with an universal joint, again with a hole for a tommy bar at its other end.

So the first query is are both potentially correct due to the evolution of this tool tray ?

The second query is about the 'hand built' brake items. These are not shown in the mentioned Rinsey Mills pictures but suitable cut outs are there in the previously available replica tool tray created by another ACOC member (picture below).

So again due to evolution were there items initially included & then no longer made available ?

I'll leave the other subjects such as standard spanners, screwdriver, box spanner(s) & pliers to a later date !

Be interested to get feedback on your knowledge on this subject.

Kind Regards, Tony B

Anthony Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 10:35:46 »
The following was received by eMail from Stephen Hall; he's given me clearance to add his comments and photo to this posting.

"Hi Tony,

As you know from our previous discussions – I have ventured up this ‘blind alley’ myself – I tried to research what these mysterious three cut outs are for. Whilst I ascertained that the cut out closest to the center is most likely for a nest of BSF box spanners the certain identity of the other two remains a mystery.

I know Rinsey quite well & he is of the opinion that there are several versions of the tray for each of the engine variants. Reference to the AC library via John Spencer turned up a detailed photo of a saloon tool tray but nothing for a Bristol engined AC.

Given that AC were a bespoke manufacturer I decided to apply logic & came up with my own solution. I will be very interested to hear how your detective work progresses.

Best Regards - Steve
"

Steve was kind enough to send me a photo of the tool tray he has created (see below). The plug spanner arrangement, with a universal joint, is a 'period item' that has been found
   (I think from an auto jumble event) rather than an official AC or Bristol tool.

ace_mark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 12:19:27 »

I don't know if these 2 photos of my Aceca Bristol's tool tray will come out but it is very different from trays shown before. I don't think that it has been altered in any way since made in 1959.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 15:55:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by ace

I don't know if these 2 photos of my Aceca Bristol's tool tray will come out but it is very different from trays shown before. I don't think that it has been altered in any way since made in 1959.

Here they are:

Anthony Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 17:48:43 »
Thanks you for these two photos; very much appreciated. You are correct in saying it's a very different layout and I haven't seen this design before.

For interest I'm in contact on another matter with the Bristol Enthusiasts Club and recognise the plug spanner for their cars and the slot that would be used for the missing dumbbell cylinder head spanner.

Thanks again for your response.

ace_mark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 18:57:51 »
Thanks. If you can help me to find the missing spanner, I'd be very grateful.

Anthony Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 07:37:26 »
Before others ask no I don't unfortunately have a stock of these particular spanners but I thought I would offer my limited understanding for this specific item.

This dumbbell shaped spanner I believe is used for the top (rather than side) cylinder head bolts on the engine. I've been lucky enough to see a real one, thanks to a local Ace/Aceca owner, the spanner has a Bristol tool ID of N600121 stamped into its shank.

It's basically a 3/8" drive 6" long socket bar with a straight, rather than universal jointed, 3/8" whitworth socket on one end and a beefed up 5/8" diameter on the other end in which a 6" long - 5/16" diameter tommy bar can be inserted.

I understand, similar to the 'C' spanner (for the side cylinder head bolts - Bristol tool ID N600161), the item would be classified as rare & hence would demand a significant price (£200+) on a well known on-line auction site. I'm currently making a replica.

Hope the above helps readers & please feedback any corrections or more info. I have some knowledge about the other tools in the tray, but maybe that would be too boring ! ?

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 08:11:18 »
Whilst not strictly to do with the tool tray, I do have a question regarding the Aceca tool kit.
   The panel in the photos below is the rear of the number plate panel from an Aceca. I know that the black metal rod in the upper sleeve is the "T" bar from the jack handle but what was retained by the lower strap with the lift dot fastener, perhaps a mallet? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.[:)]

Regards Luke.

[/URL]
   [/URL]/img]

Anthony Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 15:12:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by dkp_cobra

quote:
Originally posted by ace

Here they are:

Does anyone have details regarding the hammer used for the Aceca or Ace ? Manufacturer, weight, type of ends, etc ?

aceca59

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 14:01:28 »
The slot for the hammer in my tool tray (picture above) is 28.3cms long and 10.8cms across the head. I haven't yet found a hammer to fit.

jrlucke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 16:05:32 »
While it's been 40 years since I've seen one I believe it was very similar to this Thor hammer. The name is familiar and while they don't provide complete dimensions, there are various sizes available.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THOR-COPPER-RAWHIDE-Hammer-Face-Head-Cap-Size-A-1-2-3-4-208-210-212-214-216-/351018446370?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I seem to recall another forum discussion from several years ago specific to the hammer.

John

ctpearce

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 20:21:24 »
The 2 photos of an Aceca Bristol tray are exactly the same as my car (BE588 1957) and also BE817 (1961) which I used to own. The BE588 one is complete although the screwdriver and the socket on the end of the socket 'driver' (space on right) are not original. The hammer (which I think is original) is a Thor no 1 which fits well although I also have a more recent Thor no. 1 which is a touch larger and doesn't fit so well. In practice, the bigger/heavier Thor no. 2 is  actually more useful for the job. The spanners are Garringtons. The Bristol engine spanner is generally not now useful as most Bristol engines seem to have beefed-up cylinder head studs/nuts. I would add a photo but haven't worked out how to do this. Anthony, are you thinking of re-producing these Aceca Bristol trays as mine is a touch tatty?

Anthony Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 10:08:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by ctpearce

The 2 photos of an Aceca Bristol tray are exactly the same as my car (BE588 1957) and also BE817 (1961) which I used to own. The BE588 one is complete although the screwdriver and the socket on the end of the socket 'driver' (space on right) are not original. The hammer (which I think is original) is a Thor no 1 which fits well although I also have a more recent Thor no. 1 which is a touch larger and doesn't fit so well. In practice, the bigger/heavier Thor no. 2 is  actually more useful for the job. The spanners are Garringtons. The Bristol engine spanner is generally not now useful as most Bristol engines seem to have beefed-up cylinder head studs/nuts. I would add a photo but haven't worked out how to do this. Anthony, are you thinking of re-producing these Aceca Bristol trays as mine is a touch tatty?

I've privately eMailed the above person but for completeness. The difficulty of recreating any version of these tool trays is that the current tool content a) may now be different
   for what is was originally and b) even it has not changed some of the tool suppliers (Garrington for the spanners and I believe Jenbro for the pliers) changed their forgings (and hence the items external profiles) over the cars production run. To achieve a 'good fit' for the cut outs a tray would need to be individually built to the tools that are now in place for that specific car. If anyone is still interested please contact me privately. Thanks, Tony B

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 10:20:51 »
Hi Chris. There is instruction on adding photos HERE, or Click here to email me, I can upload photos on your behalf.
   Cheers, Nik.[:)]