Author Topic: CSX2268 How Original ?  (Read 10752 times)

aaron

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« on: February 28, 2014, 21:12:55 »
The car came over from the States, in pretty  original very tired condition, I wonder how original the car is now ?

rstainer

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:38:16 »
See the Register for the car’s history. A 289 producing ‘442bhp at 7,200rpm’ is not built to FIA or any other recognised original specification and could be categorised as a modern ‘historic’ cobra.

nikbj68

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 18:27:24 »
Jack Sears used to redline 39PH at 7200rpm(as we only recently found out, much to Dad's dismay, as he stuck strictly to 6000!!)but I don't know what the power output would have been.

TLegate

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 20:22:01 »
But Jack didn't have to pay for the rebuild! That always makes for a different rev limit :)

I must say those fifty-year old Cobras do shine up nice, don't they?

aCMXCVIIIer

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 20:40:57 »
TLegate "I must say those fifty-year old Cobras do shine up nice, don't they?"

Especially the "Coupés"!

TLegate

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 15:24:29 »
Having read up on the history of 2268, I see it suffered the misfortune of passing through the hands of the infamous Larry Megibow which is enough to blight any car for life as, once inside his workshop, who knows what happened? But anyone who tries to outrun the Feds in a transporter with a (genuine) Daytona Coupe flying around inside, can't be all bad.... :)

Jam2

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 17:57:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Jack Sears used to redline 39PH at 7200rpm(as we only recently found out, much to Dad's dismay, as he stuck strictly to 6000!!)but I don't know what the power output would have been.

I did The Pom, sometime in the late 1970's and  when doing the standing quarter  mile, which was the first test, had not got used to the cars sound with a full helmet on, with the result that I charged up from2nd to3rd at 7000 - I got a good time I recall!  But was very relieved that nothing flew apart.

nikbj68

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 18:54:20 »
Dad had the heads worked on by Bill Blydenstein, and the Cobra was good for around 350 hp, but having had a 6000rpm redline on his Ace, he simply followed the logic that it was a lot of rotational energy going on!
   Back to 2268, it's certainly one of the front-runners at any event it attends...

Mark IV

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 22:21:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

Having read up on the history of 2268, I see it suffered the misfortune of passing through the hands of the infamous Larry Megibow which is enough to blight any car for life as, once inside his workshop, who knows what happened? But anyone who tries to outrun the Feds in a transporter with a (genuine) Daytona Coupe flying around inside, can't be all bad.... :)

TL,

Possibly still some same parts of Larry are left in the car!

You don't F with those guys....bad things man, bad things!

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 02:12:03 »
Larry's forte was screwing up the paperwork, but I don't think he really screwed up the cars - he basically just displayed them. 2268 was a nice car when it left Megibow's ownership.

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 22:44:57 »
Yes, screwing up the paperwork. Mr. Megibow didn't have the money to purchase these cars outright, so he bought them with help from his soon-to-be-not-so friendly banker. But the fact that the bank held title to the cars interrupted Megibow's desire to swap cars around and pocket the proceeds. So he got creative, and sold some cars on a bill of sale, and others on a duplicate title. Once word got out that some buyers really didn't own the cars they had "purchased" and the bank realized Megibow no longer had possession of some cars for which they held a note, things started to go south pretty quickly. Which is about the time Megibow tried to make a run for the border, but was apprehended instead, cleaving the Daytona Coupe abandoned on the side of the highway in New Jersey.

rstainer

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 20:41:16 »
Two ACOC members inspected 2268 on Friday on behalf of a German enquirer. Their written findings are available to serious potential buyers.

RS

Migge

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 08:38:25 »
Can't remmeber if it was 2013 or maybe 2012 when the COB had a really huge damage from an accident in SPA. Can't find the pics.

SJ351

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 00:17:42 »
Robin,
   Will you add the findings to the ACOC Register and update the entry for this car now?
   I know it very well and the facts, good, bad or otherwise belong there for any purchaser to avail themselves I feel.
   Regards,
   SJ

rstainer

• View Profile
CSX2268 How Original ?
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 21:14:13 »
The Excel register, which contains the same level of information for every car (excepting those of historical significance), is always updated as new facts become available. The website copy is a six-monthly or thereabouts pdf snapshot of the Excel register,the next snapshot being in mid-year.

The register is supported by much supplementary information that is not in the public domain (detailed photographs, confidential submissions, correspondence with lawyers, inspections commissioned by agents etc). This is only made available (where it can be disclosed) to interested parties. This is Club policy and the only basis on which a register can be operated effectively.

RS