Author Topic: CSX 2535 Fake for sale  (Read 7221 times)

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
CSX 2535 Fake for sale
« on: May 01, 2014, 20:35:44 »
A website is offering a phony Cobra that is illegitimately using the VIN CSX 2535. It should be known that the real car has been in the USA in the hands of one owner since 1975. Since clones were not being produced in the mid 70's - especially as you could buy one for less than the cost of creating one from scratch - and given that the car in the following ad has never been heard of previously, which one do you think is likely to be the PHONY one?

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/53203/fia_cobra.html

aaron

• View Profile
CSX 2535 Fake for sale
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 23:12:49 »
I have not heard or seen of this car before, an interesting advert for the car. How did you find the chassis No ?

nikbj68

• View Profile
CSX 2535 Fake for sale
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 23:55:25 »
If you scroll down to page 10 of The Motor City Region SAAC 'Shelby Life' Magazine there is a photo of the real 2535 with a little bit of hitory, which doesn`t quite tally with the advert!

On second thoughts, the advert looks fine and I wouldn`t question the seller`s integrity for 1 second...see his GUN website[:0][:0][:0]

aaron

• View Profile
CSX 2535 Fake for sale
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:04:14 »
You have totally lost me now Nik, I could not find the Cobra for sale on the gun website !

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
CSX 2535 Fake for sale
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:08:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by aaron

You have totally lost me now Nik, I could not find the Cobra for sale on the gun website !

Not the Cobra but the same telefon number [:0]

aaron

• View Profile
CSX 2535 Fake for sale
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:30:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by dkp_cobra

quote:
Originally posted by aaron

Not the Cobra but the same telefon number [:0]

I did notice the same name and no [:)]

TLegate

• View Profile
CSX 2535 Fake for sale
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 11:53:57 »
An archive search will bring forth photos and a previous discussion on this vehicle as it's passed this way before. We knew what it was then and we know what it is now, do we not?

Eventually someone will come up with the (Kirkham) word but it won't be me, no Siree. Just happens I was wandering around the yard while this car, rolling chassis anyway, was being loaded onto the owner's trailer, circa mid-2000's. Wonder what I did with the photos? :)

rstainer

• View Profile
CSX 2535 Fake for sale
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 14:44:38 »
This car is now in the Register replica appendix.

It is a modern construction, completed in 2009, built by Nick Shrigley-Fiegl using a Kirkham chassis and FIA-style body. It has an FIA HTP.

The alternative explanation of its origin (‘I smashed the Cobra to pieces in  the mid 1970’s and it lay around for 30 years, before I decided to build it into a race car’) is not plausible.

RS

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
CSX 2535 Fake for sale
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 18:12:42 »
"The alternative explanation of its origin (‘I smashed the Cobra to pieces in the mid 1970’s and it lay around for 30 years, before I decided to build it into a race car’) is not plausible."

Especially since the car has been in the hands of the same owner in the USA since that time! Wouldn't one think that, if some jackass were to attempt to dummy up a car, he would at least pick one that didn't have such an obvious alternative history? DUH.[xx(]

TLegate

• View Profile
CSX 2535 Fake for sale
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 21:42:30 »
Allegedly dummy up a car! Kindly be aware that all Cobra owners are fine upstanding members of society and not at all given to being economical with the truth!

You've no idea how hard it is to type that with a straight face.... :)

P.S. I hear tell that the automobile in question also has a distinguished race record from the 1960s. That I would like to see.

nikbj68

• View Profile
CSX 2535 Fake for sale
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 23:42:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate...I hear tell that the automobile in question also has a distinguished race record from the 1960s. That I would like to see.

Check in the trunk[;)]:

A more distinguished race record you`d be hard pressed to find! Hehehe!!![:o)][:D]

nikbj68

• View Profile
CSX 2535 Fake for sale
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 13:54:57 »
...I meant to link back to the 'Other thread' that Trevor mentioned, but as there was no mention of the chassis number, it took me a while to find it! Here`s a photo fo it awaitng MOT back in 2011:

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
CSX 2535 Fake for sale
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 17:11:03 »
Funny. If he smashed the Cobra to pieces and it lay around for 30 years, why would the footbox ID tag change to a reproduction with a wildly incorrect engine number for the VIN? Ah, it is a mystery, yes?

rstainer

• View Profile
CSX 2535 Fake for sale
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 14:23:08 »
RaceCarsDirect (Mike Walters) has a very straight reputation in the marketplace and would not knowingly mis-describe a car. The advert now correctly reads "Built approximately 10 years ago the car...."

RS