Author Topic: PVT Front Stub Axles  (Read 5420 times)

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
PVT Front Stub Axles
« on: February 16, 2014, 19:03:14 »
It would seem that quite a number of cars may have cracked front stub axles, whilst the Post War Saloon stub axles are virtually the same as the PVT axles it would appear many are exhibiting cracking if crack tested. New forgings can be manufactured with new forging tooling & they can be CNC machined to a high standard in small batches using a higher grade of steel, & some slight design changes such as root radi to strengthen critical areas so offering a stronger axle such as has been done with the AC Ace/Aceca axles!

How many people would purchase a set of new forged & machined stub axles if the Club were to arrange there manufacture with a reputable UK company?

3.5 Pints at the Bar

• View Profile
PVT Front Stub Axles
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 20:26:54 »
I'd jump at the chance if I could (for the postwar 2 Litre), but finances won't stretch that far at the moment. Ian.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
PVT Front Stub Axles
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 13:13:03 »
It would be helpful if those interested would be good enough to indicate their interest on the forum or contact Steve Hall.

Robin

3.5 Pints at the Bar

• View Profile
PVT Front Stub Axles
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 10:27:30 »
I've passed this information onto other 2 Litre owners I know. Do you have any "ballpark" figures for likely cost, for any given production run?

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
PVT Front Stub Axles
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 13:43:18 »
Until we get the Club approval I cannot say as it depends on the batch quantities of the forging then machining, they should be lower than the Ace & Aceca axles which are machined from Billet.
   The Club might make a concessionary offer to the owners who make a firm commitment so reducing the Club Stock but this is not my decision, I have one USA Customer having a set so hopefully more people will also make a firm commitment, the more we get the potential cost could be lower if we can increase the batch size, this is a safety critical spare which should be considered as a serious spare replacement, I am certainly committing.

Robin

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
PVT Front Stub Axles
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 09:48:58 »
We have some brilliant news in that the AC Owners Club is supporting the tooling costs for new Forged Axles to be produced so it requires your maximum support & commitment as well, I know some owners will purchase the axles as I will & put them on the shelf for my cars, please consider doing the same for your cars.
   It would help if you would send your requests to Steve Hall the Spares  Coordinator so we can compile a list of people prepared to purchase, the information that has been gathered by one of our expert AC Repairer is that most of the axles he has tested are cracked when properly crack tested & most of us are not aware of this until we strip the axles!
   Please support the project

Robin

rhbeede

• View Profile
PVT Front Stub Axles
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 07:07:20 »
What became of this effort? Would the demensions of these axels be the same as the early worm and sector Cobra's?  Shelby American used to sell what they called "competition spindles" which had a larger diameter spindle requiring the change of the bearings and races to accommodate the larger ID.

Looking forward to any reply!

Bob

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
PVT Front Stub Axles
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 09:53:05 »
Bob
   These axles are for the Pre War & Post War Saloon cars which had beam front suspension, Gerry Hawkridge has similar Stub axles for the Ace & Aceca cars but I suspect the type of stub axles you are talking about is quite different as I believe the Cobra cars had separate stub spindles!
   it would be best that you contact Gerry who I am sure can assist you.

Robin

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
PVT Front Stub Axles
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 14:39:54 »
Bob,
   Maybe this is best clarified on the Cobra Forum, I will post there.

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
PVT Front Stub Axles
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 09:18:49 »
Is the front axle and stub axles re-manufacture still going ahead, never see anything in Action or on here about this.
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.