Author Topic: Replica Bristol Engine Cylinder Head Spanner  (Read 8438 times)

Anthony Blythe

• View Profile
Replica Bristol Engine Cylinder Head Spanner
« on: February 14, 2014, 19:52:26 »
Hi All,

I 'acquired' an original Bristol engine cylinder head spanner at last year's NEC Classic Car Show. I checked with the people on the Bristol club stand & they confirmed its orginality. I've explored the options of creating a working replica of this spanner from 3D printer (inexpensive but for display only) to forged, the tooling alone would be £2,500. A potential option is making them out of solid Chrome Vanadium (spec. EN50 which has a tensile strength of about 100 tons) via a number of engineering processes including water jet cutting. I've been quoted a cost of about £30 each (exc. P&P) for a batch of 10. Is there any interest out there to see what they would be like ?

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 19:59:39 »
Rocket? I know those ol' Brizzle engines were fast, but....[:p]

Maybe the 'SpannerFairy' has an infinite supply for only the most worthy recipients, like your good self!!! [8D] [:D]

Anthony Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 06:23:35 »
Sorry for the spelling mistakes (should have been rocker not rocket); now corrected and corrected again (see below) as its a cylinder head spanner !

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 10:37:29 »
Anthony,
   If its this spanner then its the cylinder head spanner,and its curved to access a couple of awkward nuts in the head (1/4" whitworth)

You can put my name down for one as I have been looking for one for my Bristol 400 for a while and have not been prepared to pay the prices on Ebay for it to sit in my tool tray!

Graham

Anthony Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 11:53:35 »
Yes I can confirm that its this type of spanner; I've correct the description to the correct name. Kind regards, Tony
   [/quote]

Anthony Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 16:03:26 »
Update on Orders. I've now had 11 orders confirmed;some  directly to me via eMail. I'll now take this forward and keep those interested parties updated. Due to financial risk considerations, all mine, as no payments are being asked for until these spanners have been created and tested, the first order book batch is now closed. However please continue to place any following orders though this website entry or eMailing me directly although costs may have to adjusted due to first batch experiences. Thanks again to all those that contacted me for this venture.[:D]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 17:16:42 »
tony, does that include this couple from the Bristol Cars Forum?
   I Vivancos & JWC Berk. x1 each. I have forwarded your contact details, rather than post them in open forums.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 20:11:51 »
There are 2 more statements of interest on the Bristol Forum now, so it's going well!

geoff leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 18:29:18 »
Hello Anthony, put me down for 2 head spanners please.
   Regards.
   Geoff

Anthony Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 06:09:58 »
First Order Book now Closed. The numbers needed for the first batch of these re-manufactured spanners have now closed. This is primarily down to financial risk considerations, which will be all mine, as no payments will be asked for from those that have placed these first batch orders until the spanners have been created & tested. Any follow up re-manufacturing will be dependent on any subsequent order numbers being placed (I would judge again a minimum order of 10)costs may have to be adjusted based on first batch experience. If you are interested please place your order through this website or eMail me directly. Thanks again for all those that had shown interest in this venture. Kind Regards, Tony B

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 09:07:57 »
   Anthony.

First batch (Prototype) is always a risk, If substandard  or not fit for purpose you simply dont pay and instruct manufacturer to make changes and make 2nd Batch.or 3rd until correct and acceptable.

To reduce your risk financially request say 50% deposit or money up front. Club members are a loyal and honourable lot, needing special items and appreciate members who volunteer to take on a challenge..[^]
   Please refer to my Fuel Filler Cap saga on the Forum, which went on for two years with near £20,000 at stake..
   Everyone stood by me and the manufacturer "Ceandess", eventually everyone received a 100% accurate top quality finished product with my name and reputation still intact..[:)]

Good Luck with the Venture.....Please  Keep everyone posted via the forum and email.  Pays dividends in the long run..[;)]

Last but not least.  Thank you for picking up the gauntlet to make something many club members want, Appreciated by many but not always shown..[;)]

Keith..[:)]

Anthony Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 13:26:53 »
Thanks for all the above advice, very much appreciated.

Because this first batch is small & as the costs have been kept to an absolute minimum, with no profits being made by anyone involved I will fund all 'up front' money in this instance.

If these spanners 'take off' and I already been contacted by two different sections of the Bristol Car community, including their BMW friends, I may well need to change my stance on how this might be funded in the future. But thanks again for your comments.

awilliams

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 21:06:26 »
Hi Anthony,

I was able to make a suitable cylinder head wrench by heating a spanner with a welding torch and "re-shaping" it.  However, there's nothing like the real thing.  Please put me down for one from your next batch.  Thank you for your efforts.

Andy

HMG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 19:59:19 »
Hi Anthony,
   I would take one as well. Please put me down for 1.

Christian

lew

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 17:26:32 »
Hi Anthony
   Please put me down for one

Lew Baker