Author Topic: 15inch rear tyres for Cobras  (Read 18960 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
15inch rear tyres for Cobras
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006, 06:31:08 »
Wow. I have to say the 15" conversion looks to have it ALL over the 16`s.
   Everything. Tread pattern, proportions, Those beautiful Halibrands (are they from Gerry Hawkridge?)....PLUS the driveability you mention, what a transformation.
   It appears that the 15" is about an inch taller than the 16", is that enough to affect your speedo reading? (or economy....hehehe?)
   Nik.

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 13:39:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Wow. I have to say the 15" conversion looks to have it ALL over the 16`s.
   Everything. Tread pattern, proportions, Those beautiful Halibrands (are they from Gerry Hawkridge?)....PLUS the driveability you mention, what a transformation.
   It appears that the 15" is about an inch taller than the 16", is that enough to affect your speedo reading? (or economy....hehehe?)
   Nik.

Hi there

Yes, I got the rims from Gerry Hawkridge.  I'm not sure where he gets them from, but I'll look for the box/paperwork that they came in for any clues etc.  The photo is slightly misleading, as the difference in diameter is actually less than an inch. I suspect that it does affect the speedo, although I don't know by how much.  I'm waiting for the chance to pace someone else in another car and compare readings.

Cheers
   Bruce

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 14:16:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by C9OBY

quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

...Those beautiful Halibrands (are they from Gerry Hawkridge?)....
   Nik.

Hi there
   Yes, I got the rims from Gerry Hawkridge.  I'm not sure where he gets them from, but I'll look for the box/paperwork that they came in for any clues etc.  ...Cheers
   Bruce

I believe Gerry Hawkridge manufactures them himself, along with the original spec Lancia Stratos wheels that he sells, primarily to go on his Replicas, but they are fitted to some original cars I`m told.

Just looking at your pics again, No contest. I think the 15" should be compulsory [:D] [8D][8D]
   [edit] Check here: http://www.hawkcars.co.uk/parts/index.html For details of Hawkridge wheels, and mirror mounts too!

Superarnie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 15:03:24 »
Hi all,
   The 16 inch Halibrand style wheels found on the CRS and Superblower cars are/were made by a company in the UK called 'Compomotive Motorsport'
   I do have the parts numbers for the front and rear but will have to go and take them off the boxes supplied to me- if anyone needs them please let me know.
   Regards
   Gary

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 15:45:00 »
Superarnie, you are correct, I just at the rear of a  spare rear wheel and my spare tire & wheel. Hope to have pn's off my calipers for you today.  i assume they are same rim widths as the cars' frome and body dimensions are relatively equal. The MKIV's SB's & I believe the CRS's have Frua rear uprights to pick up rear track (4")and different front uprights to expand front as well over the MK III. Jim

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2006, 10:16:36 »
Hello Bruce,
   The tyres look good.

Where did you secure the braces for attaching the safety harness to the roll hoop?

Regards
   Constant

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2006, 10:04:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by MkIV Lux

Hello Bruce,
   The tyres look good.

Where did you secure the braces for attaching the safety harness to the roll hoop?

Regards
   Constant

Hi Constant,

I hope you're well and not allowing the Luxembourg winter to stop you getting out & about in the cobra!

I got the brackets from Hawk cars too (Gerry Hawkridge).  He gets them made by Kirkham - milled from aluminium block to the exact diameter of the CRS roll-hoop (I suspect that the roll-hoop on yours is a larger diameter. They were made to his specification, so I'm sure he cound get a set made to fit yours exactly if you asked him).

Unfortunately he has run out of stock and is waiting for a new batch.  I bought his last two for circa £40 each about a month ago so he may well have more in by now. However, when he ordered more, they quoted him about £80 each.  When we last spoke, he was in the process of negotiating a lower price.  I also need another set so that I can do the passengers side too.

Cheers
   Bruce

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2006, 11:11:53 »
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info.
   If you think it helps to place a bigger order, maybe you can ask for a pair for me at the same time, for the Mk IV hoop.
   Just let me know.

Kind regards
   Constant

Superarnie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2006, 18:29:54 »
If of any interest, I have noticed there is a full set of Halibrand wheels currently on Ebaymotors (Auction number 110067124128). The current price is $800.00 which at todays exchange rate works out at about £400.00. They look to be in superb condition and I think they are supplied with the spinners. Shipping of them to the UK may be around another $200-300. They come complete with Goodyear Eagle tyres. You could make quite a saving!!

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2006, 18:33:22 »
Just received thie following from Gerry Hawkridge:
   HAWK CARS LTD. ARE DELIGHTED TO ANNOUNCE THE PRODUCTION OF YET ANOTHER
   NEW WHEEL .
          AS WELL AS PRODUCING THE FABULOUS LANCIA STRATOS "COFFIN SPOKE"
   WHEEL, AND THE 7.5 x 15 and 9.3 x 15 Mk 3 HALIBRAND STYLE WHEELS FOR THE
   427 COBRAS -
          WE  NOW OFFER A NEW WHEEL TO SUIT THE 289 FIA COBRAS AND DAYTONAS.
   THIS WHEEL, STYLED AS THE HALIBRAND FIA WHEEL,  IS PRODUCED IN 6.5 x 15"
   AND 8.5 x 15" SIZES, IT HAS 6 PEG DRIVE, (SPLINE DRIVE FITMENT WILL ALSO
   BE AVAILABLE SHORTLY)  AND IS DIMENSIONALLY THE SAME AS ORIGINALS. IT IS
   GRAVITY DIE CAST IN LM25 ,AND THE QUALITY AND ACCURACY IS SUPERB.
          FOR MORE INFORMATION,PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT GERRY
   HAWKRIDGE AT HAWK CARS, 0044(0)1892750341 or e-mail  gerry@hawkcars.co.uk
   Best regards Gerry Hawkridge.