Author Topic: 15inch rear tyres for Cobras  (Read 18963 times)

C9OBY

• View Profile
15inch rear tyres for Cobras
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 16:34:17 »
For those interested, I have now fitted my CRS with new 15-inch rims and a brand new set of nice sticky Avon CR6ZZ tyres (215/60/15' and 275/55/15).

The ride is far more supple with slightly higher ground clearance.  The tyres have fantastic grip, even when cold. I'm looking forward to putting some distance on them this weekend - updates to follow.

Photo's available on request.

Bruce

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 17:49:34 »
Hi Bruce,
   Yes to photos please e-mail them to John@moonlightmedia.co.uk
   I look forward to your updates.
   Cheers - John.

Mark-Anthony

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 10:34:51 »
Hi Bruce

Love to see some photos (prefer to see the car!)

can you e-mail them to my addr

mark-anthony.conti@simonefix.com

please?

M-AS

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 17:08:39 »
Guys, I have received Bruces pictures of his CRS converted to 15inch rims and the car looks fantastic. It does for me give the car a very sixties look and does nothing but enhance its appearence. I'm so impressed I have ordered a set for my CRS!! I'm also converting to quick-lift bars over the winter, best wishes to all
   Alan Faulkner-Stevens

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 12:15:12 »
Hi guys

Feedback on the new Avon CR6ZZ tyres:

Following a cracking drive down to the AC Sprint at Goodwood this weekend with sunny skies and dry roads, I managed to get together some early view on these fantastic new tyres.

First, the ride is now noticeably smoother. The extra rubber on the 15-inch rims soaks up some of the road surface and softens the bumps, but without loosing 'feel' of the road.  Interstingly, I now believe that the feel is better, as the tyres are far less skittish and track much better (combination of the rubber compound and 16-to-15inch conversion).

Road holding:
   The tyres are very grippy, even when cold.  I've already mentioned that they have a nice tacky feel and this gets noticeably stickier as the tyres warm up. However, I am well aware that the softer compound will have shorter life than my old tyres. Considering the relatively low mileage spent in the car each year, I do feel that this is a satisfactory compromise.

Cornering is a pleasure!  The car hold the road like never before, but again with far more feel and composure.  Before the car felt a little twitchy on the bends and I was never 100% sure where the limits of the car were.  The tyres retain far more contact with the road, never sliding or 'hopping' across uneven surfaces as they did on the old rubber.  Twisting through the forests and passes near Goodwood was a pleasure with the tyres giving me a new level of confidence in the car.

Braking:
   For obvious reasons, these tyres brake far better.  These cars have great brakes and on the old tyres the wheels sometimes locked up under firm braking when they should not have done so.  As you learn a car, you quickly know where it's limits are, making compromises/allowances as you go.  With these tyres, I no longer have that 'cold tyre' fear when I leave home. They stop the car quickly with no twitches. Before, different wheels would grip/slow at different times depending on the road surface, unsettling the car and making braking a very involving process.  Now, the car slows evenly with composure, the tyres biting into the road surface, leaving me free to focus my attentions on the other things around the car.

High speed:
   On fast a/b roads, the car is noticeably steadier.  I put this down to both the bigger sidewall giving more consistant road contact and the tyres being that bit softer. The steering is a little lighter (also due to the slightly narrower tread section of 215 vs the original 225) but responds quickly to direction change.

Honestly, I cannot say enough about these tyres.  The old tyres are sitting in my garage on the old 16-inch rims. I'll save them for a track day one day but would never sell them on as I would not trust them on another road car. Anyone who wants to come for a ride and see the difference for themselves is welcome.

My advice - get safe and trade up ! It's been well worth the £2,825 investment.

Bruce

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 11:27:44 »
before

after

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 12:39:06 »
Great looking car and while I'm running 16's; I must admit the 15's are a nicer look. Seem to fill the wheel arches better. Do you know mfgr and pn of the rear view mirrors? Jim

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 13:56:09 »
Wow,  that looks really nice, who are the rims made by???

AK1440

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 16:42:35 »
jbottini
   The rear view mirrors look like the ones found in:
   http://www.europaspares.com
   Look in the onlineshop and then exterior mirrors,SVAMIRL L/H or R/H for £76.00 Daylight robbery just because they are SVA approved otherwise they would be about £20-25
   Try: https://secure.visav.co.uk/avshop/products.asp?getcats=true&page=8&cat=16&scat=79&sscat=&sword=
   Jim H

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 17:37:08 »
Thanks, I'll look into them. I'm using  windshield post mounted "raydots' and can't seem to get them right. jim

Superarnie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 20:46:52 »
Hi Jim,
   If its any help to you I have been supplied with the following mirror from AC Cars in Malta, as part of my build package. AC Cars part number refernce being 2359-025
   Its made by;
   TEX Classic
   Pt. No. M68890
   and is described as; Convex anti dazzle polished
   I will send you a picture of mine. It looks to be the same as the one in the pictures above. Lovely car by the way Mr C90BY!!

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 21:10:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by jbottini

Thanks, I'll look into them. I'm using  windshield post mounted "raydots' and can't seem to get them right. jim

FYI Jim, It's "Raydyot" [:D] I just LOVE findind other peoples errors!!!! (As I NEVER make any myself!)

Rick

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2006, 22:47:30 »
Can I ask .. .do they make wider wheels in the 16" variety .... 16 x 8" on the front of my Pantera and maybe 16 x 13" on the rear or some thing close to that would be real nice.

Who made the 16" rims ???

Ron

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2006, 23:50:26 »
The 16" rims were made by (brain fart, it will come to me) and were done out of permanent molds rather than sand cast. Brian Angliss told me how much they cost...rather a large sum at the time as he had only sold a few cars, it was a "leap of faith" he made.

I will post as the answer comes to me or someone will look at their MK IV/Superblower/CRS and beat me to it.

And no, they only are made in the original Autokraft sizes.
   Rick

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2006, 02:25:31 »
I'll look tomorrow. Hey Rick, can you help the guy I emailed you about the brakes..superarnie? Rayddots smayydots too Jim