Author Topic: Which MkIV for sale at Forristalls, Houston TX...?  (Read 8829 times)

SunDude

• View Profile
Which MkIV for sale at Forristalls, Houston TX...?
« on: February 08, 2014, 15:17:33 »
I just saw this Autokraft MkIV listed on Hemmings.  It's for sale at Forristalls in Houston TX at an asking price of $124,900 USD.

The car looks to be in excellent condition.  No word on chassis number, but it looks like AK1202 to me.  Can anyone confirm which car it is?

Hemmings listing: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ac/cobra/1626352.html

Forristalls listing: http://www.forristalls.com/1987%20Autocraft%20Cobra%20MK%20IV%20with%20351%20Cobra%20Motor/1987_autocraft_cobra_mk_iv_with.html

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 19:08:12 »
Actually, plate reads 7202, looks original except for steering wheel, Ford Racing sticker on foot boxand fire extinquiser.. Pretty car.

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 19:11:05 »
Not sure why somobe would put a 351 in and use the 302efi farts though

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 12:22:29 »
And despite the "Autokraft" logo on the boot, they insist it is "Auto Craft" in the description!

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 15:16:18 »
Was the AC logo on the boot genuine ? I have. Cobra logos on  both ends of the car ...

302EFI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 15:26:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by French Frie

Was the AC logo on the boot genuine ? ...

Yes.

Hobo

• View Profile

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 05:00:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Hobo

Another well kept MkIV for sale :
   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231153184220&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Very nice, clean car, similar to my Mk. IV in body color and interior, but this car is carbureted vs. EFI on mine. Also, it has the dual exhaust together out of the driver's side rear vs. dual exhaust pipes on each side from the rear.

FF, the AC logo is U.S. specification. Due to licensing issues of the Cobra logo in the United States with Ford (the Mustang used the logo too) U.S. sold Mk. IV cars could not come with the Cobra logo installed on the car body and used the AC logo front and rear instead. My car is equipped that way. However, interestingly, the sill plates in each door have the AC logo, the Cobra logo and the word "Autokraft" in between both logos. Very cool!

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 08:02:31 »
Hi BBK,

I understand that, but my car is US spec (sold in berverly hills), and I have both cobras ... Jim, I assume it was already like that when was yours ?

do you a picture of your sill plates ? I do not have any engraved ones !

PS: carbureted engine IMPLIES twin exhaust pipes on one side...

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 11:21:26 »
The "Cobra" logos were added after the MK IV left the works, commonly by the dealer or customer. As stated while Ford granted use of the "Cobra" trademark we could not use it in the US due to several reasons including inability to get the level of products liability insurance required by FoMoCo to do so.

Up to late 1986 I never saw engraved sill plates on a MK IV........

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 11:55:30 »
FF, both badges were on when I acquired it. Sill plates were as acquired also. Jim

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 12:14:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Hobo

Another well kept MkIV for sale :
   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231153184220&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

They took the description word for word from the auction blurb.....and STILL claim it has Air Con!

I guess the shipping damage does not constitute "never painted"............

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 04:32:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by French Frie

Hi BBK,

I understand that, but my car is US spec (sold in berverly hills), and I have both cobras ... Jim, I assume it was already like that when was yours ?

do you a picture of your sill plates ? I do not have any engraved ones !

PS: carbureted engine IMPLIES twin exhaust pipes on one side...

My sill plates are not engraved. The sill is a smooth aluminum plate with a decal/appliqué on it showing the mentioned AC, Cobra and Autokraft names.  Unfortunately, I do not have a photo of the sill plates I don't believe, and my car is somewhat far away at the moment undergoing some refurbishment, so can't take a picture.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 01:52:47 »
Three things:
   1) Steering wheel of questionable taste!
   2) Knockoffs i think too far out, questionable safety.
   3) 302 type fuel injection, 351 takes a different intake which is wider. Although the correct intake may have bee available through Ford Motorsport.

White color, If not originally sold in white, buyer be aware, white is used to mask body imperfections.

Emmanuel

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 05:57:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

Three things:
   1) Steering wheel of questionable taste!
   2) Knockoffs i think too far out, questionable safety.
   3) 302 type fuel injection, 351 takes a different intake which is wider. Although the correct intake may have bee available through Ford Motorsport.

White color, If not originally sold in white, buyer be aware, white is used to mask body imperfections.

Emmanuel

Looks like it has the original brass spinners. I believe the original color is white. The last photo has a dymo label showing it is Porsche Grand Prix White (and then a number, likely the paint code) on the fiberglass panel in the engine bay with the manufacturer VIN plate etc.  Similar set up on my Mk. IV in terms of paint color info.