Author Topic: MK 1V fuel pump access  (Read 3235 times)

nick Godridge

• View Profile
MK 1V fuel pump access
« on: February 01, 2014, 12:33:03 »
Hi guys,
   A first good day for a drive today for weeks, so took the wraps off, only to find that there was no fuel pump 'tick' when I turned  the ignition on.

Can anybody tell me how to access the pump?

Can it be done easily?

Nick G

Paul Mundy

• View Profile
MK 1V fuel pump access
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 13:27:57 »
Nick,
   The fuel pump is easily accessible, mine is mounted on the inside face of the offside chassis tube just in front of the diff housing.

Have you checked the fuse? From memory it is the single fuse that is positioned between the back and middle bank of six.

An issue I had with my car was an immobiliser fault which was not switching power to the pump, I wired a bypass until I could get the immobiliser sorted.

Hope this helps,
   Best of Luck

Paul Mundy

westcott

• View Profile
MK 1V fuel pump access
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 13:28:28 »
Outside the passenger comp. behind the rear firewall( bulkhead) lower area, lh, visible from underneath.

http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1944&SearchTerms=fuel,pump
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

SJ351

• View Profile
MK 1V fuel pump access
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 16:27:05 »
You may have a screw on access panel behind the passenger seat.
   Give the pump/s a tap with a hammer and block of wood with the ignition switched on. May just be a bit sticky.
   Good luck - I am always waiting for this one every time I jump in the car.
   Had a ballast resistor fail once right outside my friend's workshop as he was closing and could not stay behind to help.
   The recovery man dropped me straight into my garage on his low loader with great precision.

nick Godridge

• View Profile
MK 1V fuel pump access
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 13:06:53 »
Well progress of sorts.
   Have now got wheel off without damaging rim with hammer. v. frustrating, and some hours work.
   Eventually used a piece of hardwood, about 2 x 3 x 10 inches. Put one end squarely against one ear of the spinner, braced the length of wood against the wheel rim, and used 7lb lump hammer to bash the free end of the wood. This advice came from fellow MK1V owner, Mr Howsley, in St Albans, worked well, so thx again sir.!

I tried the ignition on and tap pump step, but only result was an unpleasant hot electrics smell, so ignition and master switch v.smartly off.

Next step is to disconnect the fuel lines from the pump and extract pump ( Edelbrock) from the mounting. Have'nt quite figured out how to plug the open ends of the fuel lines, which have braided hose aircraft type fittings, so advice/experience would be great.

Also the electrics appear to be fixed at the pump, and connected into the car by a remote white plastic pug of some kind. No fuse either according to my handbook. Comments also welcome here.

Thx for listening,

Nick G

westcott

• View Profile
MK 1V fuel pump access
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:23:34 »
I had two times the problem that the Lucas contacts in the ignition switch connectors are burned and had to be replaced by a more reliable connection system.

Does the engine spin by turning the key? If not and that strong smell comes back check the contacts in the Ignition switch loom.

You can check the connector, just remove the lower steering column cover, it is connected to the upper by 2 screws under the levers and one screw from the lower to the steering column.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

nick Godridge

• View Profile
MK 1V fuel pump access
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 18:17:08 »
Thx Westcott.

Yes, the engine turns happily. So, unless there's an obscure electrical problem, the pump must be the source of the problem.

Nick G

ak1234

• View Profile
MK 1V fuel pump access
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 23:40:38 »
As per my prior post from back in 2011 ... the pump was the problem it was seized from the gas.  I replaced the pump with an direct replacement which took a significant amount of time and research for the replacement.  My pump was on the driver side and the factory did a great job with the mounting ... only i replaced all the old hose with new steel braided.

Ron