Author Topic: MKIV (with some AKL features) for sale  (Read 7834 times)

French Frie

• View Profile
MKIV (with some AKL features) for sale
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 20:41:50 »
Yep, but going this route, the only very specific MKIV features were longer cockpit, doors reinforcement and telescopic bumpers ! I assume all the others items/ modifications  were available, as options or special order, weren't they ?

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 22:16:34 »
Some other items were, I believe, unique to the Lightweights.  These include:- location of fuel filler and fuel tank, two rather than three wipers, steering column, no lip on wheel arches and exact location of roll bar ( uprights inside cockpit not boot).    These are things that could not be changed (  though SB7020 was part built with a side filler and floor tank).  Based on my own experience of having a car built AC were able to modify:- bumper mounts, dash, pedals, instruments, heater controls, door cards, headrests headrests ( deleted) and  side marker on a non Lightweight MkIV ( or Superblower in my case).  Lightweights were also fitted with 15, not 16 inch wheels - but that is very easy to do at any stage.

302EFI

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 10:16:13 »
The issue of standard MkIVs vs. Lightweights has been discussed in various threads of this forum with the Lightweights being further divided into 'true' ones and not so true ones. I believe a clear-cut general consensus on what features a MkIV must at least possess to qualify as a Lightweight has not been reached.  Alan Faulkner-Stevens published an instructive article on this topic in ACtion magazine of July 2012.

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 21:34:01 »
In reality, it's Data plate fro AC Cars either says AKL or the Bible , if patience allows, when the VIN is looked up refers to AKL XXXX or not. The rest are "posers"

302EFI

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 09:52:49 »
To distinguish between standard MkIVs and Lightweights merely on the basis of the 'L' in the chassis number prefix would of course be very clear and simple. I doubt, however, that it would also be meaningful. In the earlier discussions it turned out that there are AKL MkIVs that carry virtually none of the commonly accepted Lightweight features as outlined by Peter in his post above. Should we name such cars Lightweights without making a qualification?

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 11:57:37 »
My point exactly....it is how the factory records designate the car, but in any event it must have the proper data plate , modifications or records to back up modifications