Author Topic: Brake parts availability and interchangeability  (Read 14857 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Brake parts availability and interchangeability
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 14:01:22 »
Thanks Keith. Now, does anyone know where to obtain said shoes? I ended up having mine relined, but would be good to know options for the future.
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 14:13:34 »
Here's another questions - are the shoes in Jonathan's pictures above installed correctly, or are the top and bottom reversed?  I ask because when I took my drums off, mine were just the opposite - the top shoe has the lining starting back from the cylinder, while the bottom shoe has the lining all the way to the leading edge where the shoe rests on the cylinder.
Peter B.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 17:02:02 »
I have asked Nik if he would kindly post a photo of my NS rear brake shoes and cylinder prior to be removed for the Power Track supplied cylinder. I can only assume they went back on correctly.
   I continue to stop as I should!

Jonathan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 18:33:07 »
Upon further investigation, Girling Bulletin No. 501.T.108, dated Feb /59, shows the lining on the bottom shoe (leading shoe) set to the rear or adjuster end of the shoe and the top shoe (trailing shoe) set to the front or cylinder end of the shoe. It would therefore suggest that my shoe arrangement is correct.

Jonathan

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 00:33:17 »
   Peter & Jonathan

Brake servicing has been covered a few times over the years, refer to September 2000 ACtion and May 2003 ACtion.
   Or
   Use the ACOC web site,  log in using user name and password (in latest issue of ACtion), go to Models then to Ace, then articles, scroll down and print off Rear Brake Overhaul and Ace and Aceca Brake Servicing.

Keith..[;)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 13:14:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by jp7025: My NS rear brake shoes and cylinder prior to be removed for the Power Track supplied cylinder. I can only assume they went back on correctly.
   I continue to stop as I should! Jonathan

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 02:55:54 »
Well now I'm confused - as per Keith's advice, I grabbed the May '03 Action, and on page 40, it shows the brake shoes installed the opposite of the pictures above, but matching how they were on my car when I disassembled - top who has the liing starting back from leading edge were it sits on the cylinder, bottom shoe has the lining at the leading edge where sit sits on the cylinder. Also found a few Girling pics on the inter web that match my setup. Does anyone enow for sure, or know if it even make a difference?
Peter B.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 06:32:58 »
The position of the brake shoes in jp's photo is correct. If you compare each pair of shoes you will notice that the lining on the upper shoe is the shorter of the two, this is the leading or primary shoe. The correct positioning of this shoe is very important for the correct functioning of the brakes. Without going into too much detail the initial movement of the leading shoe causes a self servo/ self energising action to take place in the trailing shoe, leading to increased brake performance.

Rather confusingly the information on shoe position given in the Girling service manual, is contradictory to that given in the Ace owners handbook.

Another area not to be overlooked in the Ace/Aceca rear brake system is that the wheel cylinders must be allowed some float on the backplate so that the shoes self centre and do not jam on.

Regards Luke.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 16:27:37 »
OK, I've repositioned the shoes as recommended, now can someone tell me what magical tool is needed to actually bleed the rear brakes? No way to get a wrench over the bleeder to be able to crack it and close it as brake is pumped.
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 20:49:11 »
Well I just went ahead and made the 'magic tool', but how do the rest of you guys do it?
Peter B.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 22:24:44 »
There are simple pressurising kits which seal the master cylinder & supply new brake fluid under low pressure, then you can control the bleeding at the nipple with a short pipe in a small pot of fluid to exclude air passing back!
   Another way is a special hand vacuum pump designed to suck the fluid from the  nipple but you will need to ensure the master cylinder is kept toped up!

Robin

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 23:42:34 »
Robin, thanks.  I have all that kit, that's all fine once you can get to the bleeder valve. On the rear brakes, I see no way to use a normal wrench to open and close the valve while a hose is attached, that was my question. I'm curious as to what others have come up with to access the valve. I made a tool that will fit the valve and let the hose run thru it to accomplish this in my case.
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 00:50:10 »
   Peter.

Easiest solution is to buy some extended bleed valves, approx 1" To
   1 1/4".......[;)]

Keith..[:)]

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 00:55:20 »
Makes sense Keith! Where to get those? My internet search hasn't turned up a source.
Peter B.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 00:55:23 »
Peter I am using these http://www.automec.co.uk/collections/brake-fittings/brass-bleed-screws  - Look for the 1.44" length.