Author Topic: Brake parts availability and interchangeability  (Read 14841 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Brake parts availability and interchangeability
« on: January 28, 2014, 02:12:06 »
OK, managed to get the drum off the right rear, and as expected, I have leaky brake cylinder. The shoes have absorbed the fluid, so I want to replace the shoes and the cylinder. I thought I had a parts interchangeability document around, but can't seem to locate it. I thought I recalled that the brake shoes are the same as for an Austin Healey 100? Can anyone confirm? And where can I either locate a replacement Right side Girling 412840 wheel cylinder, or a rebuild kit?

Thanks for any help.
Peter B.

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:09:26 »
Power Track Ltd in the UK successfully supplied my Ace (AEX1194) 2 years ago with replacement rear wheel brake cylinders. They are knock off Girlings made by County and  continue to operate successfully, not leaking and the car continues to stop. Google will bring up their contact details.

If you let me have your email address, I will send you pictures or alternatively, I could send them to Nik if it is of sufficient wide Forum interest. Nik has been very patient and generous in the past and has posted for me on the Forum as I am incapable of doing so.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:17:10 »
Jonathan`s photos of his Power Track components:

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 03:47:08 »
Thanks guys. Are there replacement brake shoes available? I can always have mine relined here in the US, so that is an option also. Have ordered some parts from Moss Motors (for an early AH 100) to see if they are indeed the same parts. They look like it from the diagrams.
Peter B.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 05:13:06 »
Peter,
   I checked the '65 interchange manual I have and it says the cylinders interchange with an AH BN-1 and the shoes interchange with the AH 100-4. I may have a few rebuild kits if you need one, but I am unsure of the rubber condition.

Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 19:04:28 »
   Peter

Barry Howsley can supply you with brake linings and rivets, check his regular advert in ACtion.

With regards Brake shoes for the Ace and Aceca, I believe Land Rover MK1 Shoes are identical,  best check out first,  maybe some one can confirm compatibility...[?]

Cheers

Keith..[:)]

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 19:48:02 »
Thanks Jay and Keith. Will see if the stuff from Moss and Victoria British actual match, and let everyone know for next time.
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 00:32:09 »
   Land Rover MK1 brake shoes have same diameter and the same cut outs but are too wide, you could mill them down , weld up the rivet holes and redrill new rivet holes,  but not practicle.[:(].

Front shoes easier to find than rear ones ...... Can anyone please confirm which other cars from the 1950s had the same shoes as thse fitted to the Ace and Aceca..[?]

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 00:51:02 »
Got a replacement wheel cylinder from Moss (for AH 100) and it is the correct one. Have ordered a pair of brake shoes from Victoria British to see if they match up also. One thing I need to find is the Nyloc nut that holds the cylinder to the backing plate. No one seems to have those - anyone know who might be able to supply? The nut that was on the old cylinder was not the correct thread, someone had forced it on.
Peter B.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 15:48:31 »
Keith,
   The interchange manuals I have show the shoes being the same as the ones used on the AH 100-4 but I have not verified.

Peter,
   I am not sure of what threads are on the cylinders, but if the threads are British have you tried British Fasteners?

http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php/categories/nuts

They show locking nuts and have always had what I needed in stock.

Jay

Edit- I just found a hand written note from '68 that I have (I am not sure who wrote it) and it says the front shoes are from a 100-4, but the rear are from a BN-1. Again, I have not personally verified this.

quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol

Land Rover MK1 brake shoes have same diameter and the same cut outs but are too wide, you could mill them down , weld up the rivet holes and redrill new rivet holes,  but not practicle.[:(].

Front shoes easier to find than rear ones ...... Can anyone please confirm which other cars from the 1950s had the same shoes as thse fitted to the Ace and Aceca..[?]

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 16:04:01 »
I just checked the Moss site and they show 2 different types of shoes for the rear of the BN1. One for the early bevel gear cars, and a different one for the later Hypoid gear cars. Unfortunately, the early shoes are not available but the later ones are. All is not lost however as linings and rivets for the early style look like they are available.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Browse/PlateMenuProducts.aspx?WebCatalogID=2&PlateTypeID=1&SubcomponentID=20&ComponentID=4

Edit-
    In case it helps, I looked up the rear brake shoe numbers in a Lucas catalog and it shoes the leading shoe as P/N GB41540 and the trailing as GB41542.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 23:14:26 »
Thanks Jay, I will l know later this week if the available AH shoes are a replacement. I can always get mine relined if need, so this is really a test of suppliers!
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 02:58:37 »
Well, the brake shoes that are available (later 100-4 and on thru the 3000's) aren't an exact match. They are the right size and arc, and could be made to work, but I'm just going to get my originals relined.
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 03:01:01 »
Oh, and I was able to get the Nyloc nuts for the cylinders right here in my small home town from a specialty fastener shop. 12 for $1! Best bargain in a long time! So if anyone else ever needs these, let me know.
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 20:31:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by pjbowman

Thanks guys. Are there replacement brake shoes available? I can always have mine relined here in the US, so that is an option also. Have ordered some parts from Moss Motors (for an early AH 100) to see if they are indeed the same parts. They look like it from the diagrams.

Peter

Received a DVD through the post from MIKE MANSERGH  reference:-

GIRLING SERVICE MANUAL 1946 onward.

Scrolling through numerous pages I note the following:

1953 - 1958 ACE & ACECA.
   Front Brake Shoes  11" x 1 3/4"  HLSS ( Section 2 page 51 )
   Rear   Brake Shoes   11" x 1 3/4"   HW    ( Section 2 page  43)

OTHER CARS Using same FRONT BRAKE SHOES:-

Austin Healey "100" BN1 (1953-1956) (up to chassis 223046)
   Austin Healey "100" BN2 (1953-1956) (up to Chassis 228047)
   Austin A.70 Hereford  (1951-1954).
   Austin A.70 & A.50    (1949 - 1951).
   Rover "75"  (1950).
   Daimler DJ250 & DJ251 Conquest Saloon   (1953 -1956).

OTHER CARS using same REAR BRAKE SHOES:-

Austin Healey  "100" BN1 (up to Chassis 221535)
   Austin A.70  Hereford  (1951-1954)

Hopefully the above helps in securing spare sets of Brake shoes to keep our AC Ace & Aceca on the road...[;)]

Vote of THANKS to Mike Mansergh for his research and for sharing.[;)]

Keith..[:)]..[:)]