Author Topic: Ace top/side curtain ferrule question  (Read 2321 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Ace top/side curtain ferrule question
« on: March 12, 2007, 04:29:34 »
When I removed the top/side curtain ferrules on my Ace I ended up destroying most of them due to the fact they were rusted in place. I am now in the process of making some new ones and noticed that the inner diameter is not constant on the 2 that I was able to salvage. For most of the length of the ferrule it has an ID of 25/64", but for the top 1/2" it is slightly wider. I do not have any side curtains or top bows as of yet (let me know if anyone has any spares that they want to part with) so I cannot check to see if the wider diameter at the top serves any purpose. Can someone check (or does anyone know) if the top or side curtain has a shoulder that needs the extra width to fit properly? I would like to make sure I have everything correct before sending the parts out for chroming. I believe these are same as was used on the Cobras, so info from a Cobra owner would work.
   Thanks,
   Jay

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 13:54:59 »
Why go through the trouble of making the ferrules. They are widely available, both in alloy or in chromed steel,  particularly in the US from various Cobra parts vendors.

Gus

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 14:06:25 »
A couple of reasons, first,when looking at the pictures available for the ones identified as OEM versions, they are very different from the ones I have. They show a beveled top where the ones that came off my car are flat on the top and have a small relief cut on the edge. I suppose the pics may be in error, but I have been burned by a couple of the US based suppliers with supposed OEM style parts that are not close to the originals. The second reason is I recently bought a lathe for a couple of other projects and decided I might as well use this as an excuse to get more practice in. If I had confidence the available parts would have close to correct, I would have gone that route, but now the new parts are machined except for the portion I have the question about.
   Jay