Author Topic: Ac Aceca - DE1101 Restoration  (Read 6066 times)

hawk289

• View Profile
Ac Aceca - DE1101 Restoration
« on: December 26, 2013, 18:48:30 »
Restoring No.2 Aceca Brooklands. This car was the first of two prototypes (first being DE1100 which Steve Gray owns). Piers Martin purchased the car as a rolling chassis (no engine and transmission). This specific car was used at 1999 and 2000 British Motor Show, AC used as a Buck for future cars, when Piers obtained he had it road registered in 2007 once AC confirmed it was all new parts.

When registering a car, you need all new parts (one major part can be reconditioned) which in the case of the Aceca was the Engine, the rest was new.

Next owner of the car was George Turner who passed away last year. I purchased the car from George as I have always liked the Aceca Brooklands. When I purchased the car original purpose was tidy up and then just drive. But as normal I thought what else can be done?

Looking over the car, I found lots and lots of unfinished jobs. Every car I have restored or built has to be correct, I'm a bit of detailed type of guy. So full restore was required.

So this post will keep track of the car and all modifications I'm doing.

You can see the write up on H&H website - http://www.classic-auctions.com/Auctions/09-06-2010-ThePavilionGardens-1263/1999ACAceca-31476.aspx

First decision road car or track car. I have a few road cars, I wonder what is possible we a Brooklands. So lets set a challenge, get back fully restored for the Ac Owners Sprint 2014. Sounds easy, but I expect it to be challenge. First job list, this is big. But I like job lists

1. Engine, current 302 and engine bay is rubbish. So out comes engine and full strip of the engine bay

2. ABS, the original ABS system on an Ace or Aceca is not great. The weight of the car and the ABS system does not work well in my view. So out comes ABS, just run with remote Servo

3. Suspension, a typical problem is "coil bound". The Aceca is no different, so we will sort this out with a special system.

4. Brakes are not bad, but not good for track. So will replace with uprated

5. Suspension Arms, this needs attention. My car has the later specification, but will need uprating. The bottom wishbone is taking a lot and is long. So will uprate

6. Interior, my car is suffering a leak, so carpet is not good. Well outcomes the interior

7. Wheels, not original also not correct offset, will get this sorted.

8. Chassis is in great condition, actually no rust. I will just clean and tidy.

9. Wiring loom is rubbish, basically needs a new one. I found a minor fire had started behind the dash. So new loom is required.

etc. Long but nothing major, except full respray.

As you can see the car needs complete stripping and cleaning. I will strip the car down over Xmas and new year ready for parts to be fitted. The engine choice is simple, my favorite engine 427W (351 Windsor Stroker) normally get around 530BHP+ from this engine.

Some pictures of the car before restoration.

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 13:56:32 »
Started to take the car apart today, what a mess. While I had the front wheels off, thought I would check the PCD. The car has a PCD of 112 which is nearly the same as most 90's fords. So more checking the center bore is 62mm which again matches the ford Granada / Scorpio car, which makes sense. The brakes are from a Sierra on the rear and the front are again Ford Scorpio brakes, again period 85-94. When I checked my old Ace Brooklands it had a different PCD, so would recommend members check there cars before purchasing wheels. I know some people like the BMW wheels, the problem is most BMW's have a PCD of 120 which is to wide. Will post some pictures later. The gap between bolts is 55mm which matches the ford again, so confirmed from a ford Scorpio 85-94 car.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 15:29:57 »
   John

When I piloted this Brookland Aceca round Brooklands Mercedes Test track in  2007, pre road registration it wore a different set of wheels. if I remember correctly there were still various jobs still to be finished with the interior back in 2007.

Will email you a few photos of some Brooklands Ace and Aceca from Brookland Centinary event and a few pictures Of Bob Langley's Brooklands Ace as was in jan 2005.

Cheers

Keith..[;)]

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 16:57:52 »
Thanks Keith, yep the wheels got changed from standard 18" wheels to this not so nice set, also the suspension was raised like a tractor. All will be changed back, I have cleared all the interior out of the car, I can see my decision to rebuild is now the only decision. So much hidden jobs to complete, I did like the use of B&Q pipe for the heater system. Will change, my job list is getting bigger. Thanks for all the pictures!