Author Topic: Identifying Frua parts!  (Read 20560 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 00:05:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by Classicus

quote:
I was wondering about your keyboard too, Classicus. I thought it might be due to your location....where are you? Are you Classic - U.S. or is that latin? Your symbols such as " ! or ' often appear as â € ? OR â € ? so I figured your regional settings were odd, but you appear to have solved it, judging by the edit on your last post!  

Thanks for your help nikbj68 but pretty useless at computer's too I'm afraid  [:)] I'm in Somerset and it's the latin classicus, but as I had no idea I'd solved anything at all (lol !) rather than take up board space can I e-mail you instead ? Apologies everyone [:I]

Actually Classicus, thank you for all the posts about Fruas, you have given us a lot of interesting info and I am sure all the members are grateful. Keep up the good work, keep on posting! I hope you have more! [:)]

Emmanuel

Damien

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 16:08:29 »
If somebody takes on to have a windshield made, I will buy one and share the initial cost.  Same for the rubber of the pedal, I will buy 2 or 3.  Concerning the pedal, Emmanuel, I ahve been in contact with your mecanic and he promised to make one for me.  Thanks

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 17:41:47 »
Hi, Damien

Yes, I was there yesterday afternoon and the pedal looks great, he has the pedal box out of the car and he is adjusting the pedal travel by moving the master cylinder rod hole to the correct location. Otherwise, we installed new fresh brake lines  which make the engine bay quite clean. The motor will go back in next week!
   Dennis is a very good engine builder, his motors make great power and great torque as well. This is why many of the big Cobra guys' here in Southern Cal go to him. He believes in being very conservative with the camshaft to maximise torque which is what is needed with these large V8s'. He build a 500+ HP 427 for my Kirkham over 2 years ago and to this day I have not had any problem. [:D]

Emmanuel

J Jones

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 05:09:05 »
Regarding Glass for Frua 428's, it appears that a company named V.I.S. made the glass on my car. I think that might be "Verres Industriels SA" (Switzerland).  If so, the company is still in existence. They might still have the molds.

The company name is above the "Securit" logo, which is, I think, the name of a patented heat-treating process for manufacturing shatter resistant glass.

Another name comes up as well. "Pilkington", who seem to make glass for Maserati. A logical step. They have branches all over the world.
   Pilkington is a UK company, based in Merseyside.

Another name is Saint-Gobain Sekurit International (France). They made glass for Alfa Romeo and other Italian cars.

I'm posting this to find out if V.I.S. is the name on everyone's glass.

Jeff Jones

Englishman

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 02:15:25 »
Gents,

When I first started the renovation on CF64 I posted an enquiry about a Frua windscreen which was answered by Andy Shepherd.

He said that he could get one made in the UK for around 250 pounds plus packing and shiping.

I did not follow up as we are yet to remove the existing screen prior to painting and I was looking for insurance/assurance that we would not be left high and dry in the event the existing screen shattered.

I guess you will have to hound Andy for a response.

Peter

Damien

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 22:51:30 »
I have just checked my (CF9) windshield, and it is a Solaglas (Italian, I think).

cliffordl

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 13:08:59 »
I'm following up on this old thread as I need replacement rubber for door seals, front quarter lights and windows and can't find a satisfactory match. Emmanuel and J Jones - did you ever get some seals made up?? or sourced elsewhere??

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 23:47:29 »
No but I can put you in touch with the rubber guy here in Los Angeles. He makes rubber for any old car. He needs the original as a pattern.

Emmanuel

cliffordl

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 11:50:00 »
Yes, plase do let me have his details. thanks.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 01:44:18 »
Hi, The name of the company is Karr Rubber Manufacturing
   133 Lomita Street, El Segundo, California 90245-4114
    Tel: (310) 322 1993
   Talk to Craig Karr

They can make any kind of rubber part but they need a pattern so you will have to send the old piece. Once he does it, he will have the pattern, so then he will be able to do without.

Emmanuel

mikemall

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 20:20:43 »
Hi everyone, loads of useful info here, thanks.  I am in the process of rebuilding my convertible cf32.  Unfortunately I left it with an idiot for 15 years who's only contribution to the rebuild was to lose ALL my chrome & the o/s (UK) door lock. I got a great set of bumpers from Vietnam & good old Andy came up with the quarter lights.  The most worrying bits are the chromes around the windscreen - the large square shape that fits inside the rubber, the piece that goes across the top & the 2 bits that go down the sides.

Talking of windscreens, there is a place in Surrey (I think) called Old School Windscreens – screen & seals – Rob / Eva 01932 873506 (Mention recommended by Laurie Kett, another very useful guy.)

Hope my long post is not too boring & I would appreciate any help.
   Thanks, Mike

J Jones

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 20:37:35 »
I just wanted to add to the "parts" list (where is this?) the following:
   Tail lights - "Carello"; used on Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti/Super

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 01:29:01 »
Windows electrical motor assembly off the Maserati Indy.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 19:50:58 »
I received my Indy window regulator and it's identical to the Frua!

E

J Jones

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 08:33:13 »
Regarding the issue of parts: I own a Peerless GT, and the Peerless Owners club has a section called "What's it off?". This section of their website identifies parts - who made the part, what other manufacturers used the part and where to look to find it now.

Could we PLEASE have a section in the ACOC dedicated to parts and suppliers? It seems a no-brainer to me. It would be much better than combing through old topics trying to re-discove information buried in old threads. Not just for the FRUA and Thames Ditton forum, but for all AC's.

I hear there has been some success in getting a replacement windscreen. Great! Do they have to be specially made, or does someone have the pattern? What about the rubber, and the rest of the glass?

Emmanuel and I have discussed reproducing the bonnet spring mechanism as found on my car. They are a really nice touch, and we're guessing that Frua dropped this detail sometime after CFX29 (my car) was built. Mike McCluskey said he could make them, though it would not be a practical matter unless he did a run of 10 or more. Even then, it would not be inexpensive.

I cannot imagine that Mr. Frua made these springs expressly for the 428. Most likely they were sourced from some other Italian manufacturer - but who? I furthermore doubt that the windscreen was expressly made for the Frua - so where did it come from? Monteverde seems the same. (also by Mr. Frua). It looks much like a Maserati Spider(?) windscreen.

Does anyone know who made the windscreens? Andy Shepherd seems to know. Andy - care to share?
   So - Do enough people want a new pair of bonnet springs to warrant making them?
   Or - Does anyone know what other cars may have used the same springs, and who manufactured them?

So few of these cars were ever made, it's unlikely a business could prosper as a supplier of parts. So let's share the information please. The better the cars are, the more valuable they become. And improving them (doing the work AC was unable to do originally) by making them more drivable, the more enjoyable it will be to own one.