Author Topic: Identifying Frua parts!  (Read 20555 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« on: March 11, 2007, 15:25:12 »
I am going to try to make a list and identify all the difficult Frua parts. Mainly, the hard to find or one of a kind stuff. Knowing Italien coach builders, I am sure these parts a found on some other Italien cars. Like the door outside handles and front quarter windows which are the same as the Maserati Mistral.  The way to do it I think is to go to Italien car show and look at small detail on all the cars displayed.

Classicus

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 16:18:04 »
Bit of a coincidence as I was thinking more or less the same thing, as I’ve just remembered someone telling me years ago that the 428’s rear bumpers are either the same or very similar to the old Triumph 2.5 P.I. ! However I never went into it so don’t know whether it also had the same two small number plate lights on the top or not ?

For what it’s worth these Triumph people might be of some help ?

http://www.canleyclassics.com

I’ve only been able to find a side view of the 2.5’s rear bumper to give a very quick rough comparison with a 428 - middle pic.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 18:56:46 »
I think most body parts which are not proprietary to the Frua would be Italian sourced, like trim pieces, door handles Etc. Funny, for example the brakes calipers on the Aston V8, are the same as the Lamborghini Miura. I am sure, if we put everything into a database, it would be useful.

Emmanuel

Classicus

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 19:25:34 »
Perhaps Forums like this one and similar might be a good place to start asking around ? Save time and money....

http://www.maserati-rc.org/forum/index.php?action=show_thread&frm=27&p=252&l=0

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 20:02:47 »
I think I will start hanging around Italian car shows and look around! It will be fun as well!

Emmanuel

Damien

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 08:00:27 »
I am looking for a Frua Convertible windscreen.  I heard a shop in london would still have some.  Can anybody help ?

Damien

nikbj68

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 11:58:24 »
From the AC 428 Fastback Thread
quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol

For 428 Frua spare parts especially body panels and other larger item contact  " Andy Shepherd " If he hasnt a Windscreen he almost certainly has the right contacts to get one exstock or knows who can supply one very quickly.

Send him a email......shepherd289 'at' aol.com

or fax Andy on    00 44 (0) 1932 351 285

Good Luck.

Keith

J Jones

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 07:36:20 »
I'm contemplating having new pedal rubber made up, and vent (front quarter light) window seals. Anyone else interested in these?  After nearly 40 years,my originals are pretty shabby. Anyone installing a new manual transmission (Emmanuel) will need a new clutch pedal.

Or, if anyone knows where these items can be found, I'd certainly be interested in hearing about it.

I'd also be interested in new rear quarter (vent) window glass. Mine is cracked (right side of the car).  I could also use a new windscreen.  I've written Andy, but haven't heard back from him as yet.  No rush, but I'd like to know.

Damien

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 16:17:55 »
I am in the process of converting an automatic car to manual and could use a clutch pedal and rubbers.  Have not yet looked for it, but I am interested.
   For the windscreen, there seems to be a company in the UK making windscreens.  I do not know the name yet, but my garage told me there is a huge fixed cost for a new model.  Maybe if there are enough parties interested (of which I am) we could go forward ?  I have a convertible, is this the same windscreen as the coupe ?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 18:37:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Damien

I am in the process of converting an automatic car to manual and could use a clutch pedal and rubbers.  Have not yet looked for it, but I am interested.
   For the windscreen, there seems to be a company in the UK making windscreens.  I do not know the name yet, but my garage told me there is a huge fixed cost for a new model.  Maybe if there are enough parties interested (of which I am) we could go forward ?  I have a convertible, is this the same windscreen as the coupe ?

Damien, My mechanic is in the process of duplicating the brake pedal. The original is cast and the new pedal is being made out of 4mm steel! Not too difficult! won't be able to tell unless you look at it close up. There is a guy here in LA who specializes in duplicating old rubber. I have to take my old rubber to him!. Probably will make 15 to 20 pieces and sell some!

Regards,

Emmanuel

Classicus

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 23:51:00 »
quote:
I am going to try to make a list and identify all the difficult Frua parts. Mainly, the hard to find or one of a kind stuff.

Damien, My mechanic is in the process of duplicating the brake pedal. The original is cast and the new pedal is being made out of 4mm steel! Not too difficult! won't be able to tell unless you look at it close up. There is a guy here in LA who specializes in duplicating old rubber. I have to take my old rubber to him!. Probably will make 15 to 20 pieces and sell some!

Great stuff Emmanuel ! [8D][8D]

But why stop at brake pedals ? Lol ! [;)] There’s bumpers, window seals, door handles, rear quarter (vent) window glass and a whole host of other things your people could also be manufacturing at the same time and make yourself a little profit into the bargain !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   â€œEmmanuel Inc. Your friendly international source for all those difficult to find AC 428 Frua parts ! [:)] Great range of spares always in stock. Complete rebuilds our speciality. If you’re passing why not drop and see for yourself ? Trade and export enquiries welcome.Toll free.....“ [:)]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 02:04:05 »
Classicus, what do you do if you can't find a part? well you make it, I am lucky enough to live in southern California, The world center of the automobile and hot rod hobby! We can make just about any part we don't have. It would be better for all of us to put all our resources in common to locate the things we need. You can make a Windshield, but it's very pricy to just make one, maybe $3 to $5 Thousands or more! if you make more, the extra ones will cost a few hundred dollars each, it becomes much less expensive and you can resale the extra ones. Same thing for rubber! [:)] Emmanuel

PS: Can you do something about your computer or keyboard!

Classicus

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 10:53:55 »
quote:
We can make just about any part we don't have.

Exactly, once you knew what everyone wanted to see if it's cost-effective [;)]

I've just bought a new keyboard to go with my old Windows '98 which is all I can afford at the moment on my pension. What's happening specifically as it's all ok this end ?

nikbj68

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 14:39:09 »
I was wondering about your keyboard too, Classicus. I thought it might be due to your location....where are you? Are you Classic - U.S. or is that latin? Your symbols such as " ! or ' often appear as â € œ OR â € ™ so I figured your regional settings were odd, but you appear to have solved it, judging by the edit on your last post!

Classicus

• View Profile
Identifying Frua parts!
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 17:50:20 »
quote:
I was wondering about your keyboard too, Classicus. I thought it might be due to your location....where are you? Are you Classic - U.S. or is that latin? Your symbols such as " ! or ' often appear as â € ? OR â € ? so I figured your regional settings were odd, but you appear to have solved it, judging by the edit on your last post!  

Thanks for your help nikbj68 but pretty useless at computer's too I'm afraid  [:)] I'm in Somerset and it's the latin classicus, but as I had no idea I'd solved anything at all (lol !) rather than take up board space can I e-mail you instead ? Apologies everyone [:I]