Author Topic: Some 428 history....  (Read 12820 times)

Classicus

• View Profile
Some 428 history....
« on: March 09, 2007, 20:13:10 »
I don't know if anyone's ever heard of this car but I found a couple of old black and white photocopies of the prototype 4 seater Frua registered TPE 130M, plus one or two other pics. Unfortunately I've no idea where they came from as I must have had them at least 20 years or so.

Bit like a Monteverdi ?

Plus a group photo of the 4 seater, a 428 fastback and the last red pop up headlight 428 Mark II prototype UPG 994M

The 428 in the middle might be the same as this one JLH 182K as it's just possible to make out the final letter K, plus the wheels are the same.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Some 428 history....
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 05:57:04 »
Awesome! Thanks, Emmanuel

Classicus

• View Profile
Some 428 history....
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 16:49:20 »
The complete history of the AC 428 in 2 parts by John Mclellan published in “Thoroughbred & Classic Cars” September ~ October 1983.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are probably much easier ways to scan and download these copies of the original article, if so my apologies in advance ! However in order to avoid excessively high resolutions it was easiest to divide all the pages into top and bottom and then scan them separately. Finally to download, copy and paste each one into Word then increase the size of the page up to about 150% - 200%. In my defence I’ve tried this out on my old Windows ‘98 and whilst very Heath Robinson it seems to work OK ! [;)]

Willing to e-mail if necessary as an attachment, otherwise hope there’s something of interest for everyone [:)]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PART I

Page 1 - All

Page 2 - Top

Page 2 - Bottom

Page 3 - Top

Page 3 - Bottom

PART II

Page 1 – top

Page 1 – bottom

Page 2 – top
   (However as the whole story is in 3 columns go first to “Page 1 bottom” below, and then back up to here and finally down the last right hand column.)

Page 2 – bottom

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Some 428 history....
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 02:19:24 »
Very interesting! Thanks

Emmanuel

Classicus

• View Profile
Some 428 history....
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 12:30:40 »
The AC 429

Monteverdi.

â€œBy 1967, he had decided to undertake series production of exclusive high performance luxury sports and touring cars. The first model, the 2-seater Monteverdi High Speed 375S coupe, was launched at that years Frankfurt Motor Show and received very positive reviews.

The car used a heavy and simple steel frame provided by Stahlbau Muttenz GmbH. The aluminium body was designed by Pietro Frua. It looked quite similar to other Frua creations of that time, particularly the Maserati Mistral Coupé and the british AC 428. There are rumours that all the three shared some details like windows etc. The elegant looking car was powered by a 7,2 Litre Chrysler V8 engine delivering up to 375 bhp (according to SAE standards) and had a luxurious interior all finished to the highest standards. 11 copies of the Frua-designed Monteverdi coupé were built from 1968 to 1969, then the alliance of Monteverdi and Frua split in anger. Not long before, Frua had built two 2+2 coupés with a stretched wheelbase. One of them was presented as Monteverdi 375/L, the other one stayed for some years at Frua before, in 1971, it was slightly modified and sold to AC where it was presented as a one-off AC 429.”

(Cut and paste this URL as it won't go directly.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monteverdi_(car)

Also colour and b/w pics with recent history from the Frua website (in German)....

http://www.pietro-frua.de/1969_ac.htm

Classicus

• View Profile
Some 428 history....
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 14:39:14 »
This is the lot, the final scans of just about everything ! [:)]

There's a very interesting reference in this first "work-in-hand" factory floor picture below about the convertible of the aborted flat-six project that I'd never heard of before. It's hard to identify but might be the one behind the Buckland (?). Anyone know anything about it ? Also pics of the invalid car I mentioned the factory used to make for the old "Min.of Health".

And finally I came across some good clean copies of the following original 60's and 70's road tests. However because it always take a fair while to scan, plus some pages will have to be separated into top and bottom for decent resolution as the print is so small, trying to find the time will be a big problem !

1. Motor Sport (1 page) Very period writing i.e. tea and biscuits first with Derek Hurlock ! December 1966.
   2. Autosport ( 1 page) October 1968 by John Bolster.
   3. Autocar ( 6 pages) Fastback pic. UPG 428F. July 1968.
   4. Motor (6 pages) Fastback pic. UPG 428F 28th September 1968
   5. The Field (1 page) by Strathcarron. A reprint 1st June 1972
   6. Road & Track (3 pages). Convertible pic. LPH 800D - December 1966 by Tony Hogg.

Hope something's been of help   [:)]

Classicus

• View Profile
Some 428 history....
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 17:32:15 »
"The Field" country magazine Road Test 1st June 1972 by Strathcarron. Unfortunately the original wasn't up to much but still good enough for the archives I would think. [:)]

Classicus

• View Profile
Some 428 history....
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 17:40:09 »
Autocar w/e 31 October 1981. Owner Mike Taylor describes his AC 428.

Classicus

• View Profile
Some 428 history....
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 11:28:38 »
Interesting stuff Emmanuel. [:)]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Frua