Author Topic: BEX 366 discovered  (Read 3582 times)

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
BEX 366 discovered
« on: December 06, 2013, 21:04:09 »
I first discovered the whereabouts of BEX 366 two and a half years ago.
   Last week, after a lengthy period of delicate negotiation the car passed from
   its long time custodian into the hands of a new owner, a great AC enthusiast.

BEX 366 was delivered to its first owner Count Schönborn-Buchheim in October
   1957. It was the only postwar AC to have been imported new into Austria. Count
   Schönborn kept the car in his ownership until March 1963 where upon it was bought by
   its second aristocratic owner Count Hoyos. He owned the car until October 1964 when
   it was purchased by a young Klaus Klöpfer. Mr Klöpfer was to keep the car for 
   the next forty nine years!

As found, the car seems to be in remarkably original condition still retaining its original
   weather equipment, side screen bag and 16'' wheels. The paintwork was changed from
   the original silver to red by Mr Klöpfer but the original paint is still visible in the bonnet and boot shuts.
   The interior is still the original light blue and the seat leather is still surprisingly supple.Since 1964 the car has covered just 17 000 kilometers!

The car will be staying in Austria and its new owner will be embarking on a sympathetic restoration including returning the paintwork to its original colour.

Sorry about the rather poor photos but I only had the chance to take a few quick snaps before the car was moved from its former home.

BEX366 Together with her owner for the last 49 years!

The seat leather is still supple but the carpet is showing its age.

The owner moved the ignition switch under the dash due to people switching on the lights when the car was parked.

1989 Autobahn sticker.

Original side screen trimmed in dark blue.

16'' Wheels

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
BEX 366 discovered
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 00:50:56 »
   Luke

Thank you for sharing your latest find,  Nice to learn of the existance of a Ace Bristol that had dropped off the radar over the years.
   Glad to learn that it is so original and unmolsted, bar the change of colour from Silver to Red.

Nice way for Tim Isles the  official ACOC Ace Bristol Registrar to finish off the year, with confirmation of the where abouts of BEX366.

Hopefully the new owner joins The ACOC group at Le Mans Classic in July 2014 and  The ACOC International in France in July 2014.

Please keep us  all posted with more History and regular progress reports of the sympathetic restoration.

Keith..[:)]..[:)]

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
BEX 366 discovered
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:36:34 »
Hello Keith,

The new owner is an ACOC member and he will be in contact with Tim Isles about the car.
   I believe that there is also some old correspondence between Mr Klöpfer and Thames Ditton regarding the purchase of spares and a hard top for the car.

Unfortunately the first owner died a few years ago but the present owner has been in contact with Count Hoyos and plans to reunite him with the car when it's back on the road.

I will be helping with some of the recommissioning and and also sorting out the paintwork.
   I'm not sure if the car will be ready for next summer given my current work load but I'll try to post some updates as things progress.

Regards Luke.

Jim A

• View Profile
BEX 366 discovered
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 18:03:45 »
The photo of the exterior shows an AC in apparently better condition than the details.
   This car must have been ignored in somewhat rough conditions for years at a time.
   It will be nice to see it refurbished.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
BEX 366 discovered
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 19:54:47 »
The car has was for many years parked up on stands inside the garage shown in the first photo. The owner told me he originally took it off the road when the exhaust silencer started blowing and he couldn't source a replacement. Up until this time he had always serviced the car himself and no longer felt physically able to carry out any repairs.