Author Topic: Ace steering wheel  (Read 2858 times)

psjsam

• View Profile
Ace steering wheel
« on: November 18, 2013, 14:21:55 »
Does anyone know if there's a "right" orientation for a Moto-Lita wheel as fitted to an Ace? In other words, in the straight ahead position, should the vertical spoke be above or below the boss?
Phil Jones

R Warlop

• View Profile
Ace steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 14:30:24 »
The factory 3 spoke wheel on my Greyhound has the vertical spoke above (similar to the Astons).
   This movie featuring an ACECA is fun to watch, and shows the position as well:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mnMeqiDp6c

psjsam

• View Profile
Ace steering wheel
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 16:00:39 »
Thanks - yes the movie is fun, but it seems to me that the scene after the Aceca has gone through the barn shows the vertical spoke below the boss, assuming the car is moving straight ahead.
Phil Jones

nikbj68

• View Profile
Ace steering wheel
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 17:43:42 »
I found these photos on the Classic Car Catalogue website, if they are any help... although with the wheels 'dead ahead', the Ace-style wheel`s top spoke appears to be pointing at 1 o-clock, and we can only guess at the wheel angles on the Motor Show photo.

Our centre spoke points south.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Ace steering wheel
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 18:32:54 »
The practice at the works, in period, was to fit the three spoke wheels of Ace, Aceca, Cobra with cam and peg steering and Greyhound with the spokes aligned '12-4-8' however a few customers preferred '10-2-6' which was more conventional. LM5000 ran at le Mans aligned '10-2-6' so that must have been how Dickie Stoop and Peter Bolton preferred it. Having driven all these variants with both steering wheel alignments I find '12-4-8' much the best. The instruments are far easier to view and the hands fall more easily in place. Then again, as in the past, it is your choice and correct either way.

psjsam

• View Profile
Ace steering wheel
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 19:22:20 »
I've also spoken to David Sanderson today and he was clear that the vertical spoke should be above the boss. I take Barrie's point that the instruments are easier to see that way, so that's the way it will be! Many thanks for your comments. Regards, Phil Jones.
Phil Jones