Author Topic: AC 428 owners experience?  (Read 50227 times)

shep

• View Profile
AC 428 owners experience?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 22:59:54 »
Hi Everyone,

Over the last 20 years I have spent loads of time and thought on 428 Fruas. Under the Uniclip Automotive banner we restored half a dozen 428s. We modified many more with manual conversions, 427 side oilers, right hand drive to left hooker, Serck ali radiators, and most of all, uprated suspension.

In 2002 with Simon Ascoli we built a 428 Frua race car. It was featured in Cars and Car Conversions magazine in April 03. Built to run at the front of the AMOC Intermarque Championship. It produced 651 real dyno horses and 550 lb ft. The car weighed a gnats under the ton. The aero package was ex Audi DTM TT, with front splitter, perfect flat floor and rear diffuser. The rear wing came from the Lister Storm GT2, and the total package produced a ton of downforce above 100mph. As happens all the time, soon after the car was the car finished the Championship Rules changed to outlaw all the front runners as we were 'too fast'! We only ran for 5 or 6 races. So now 'The Black Car' as it is known sits in the workshop waiting for a chance to fight again.

Back to reality and road cars, I am impressed by the common sense on this forum. Keith was spot on about the air stagnating in the engine bay. The nose builds up a bow wave splitting the airflow which flows over the bonnet/hood and under the car. This creates high pressure under the car prevents hot air being drawn from the radiator and engine bay. The result is overheating which runs away over 90mph. The Serck Ali Radiator and big fans improve the temperature recovery when you slow down but is not the complete answer. Years ago I made up a front spoiler and tested it on my road car. Back to back with and without the spoiler the water temp fell from 95C at 80mph to 80C at the same speed. The best news was that it slso remained steady at a constant 120mph. To prove it in competition I ran the car at the Bentley Drivers Club race meeting at Silverstone. It was perfect, and completed the 15 lap race, pedal to the metal without overheating. It could not have lasted 2 laps without the spoiler.

O.K. So thats the answer BUT it made the car look like a 240Z on steroids! You can't have it every way.

Emmanuel is right about the suspension, too soft and too low. We fitted loads of uprated springs and Konis with adjustable spring platforms. We had batches of springs manufactured which were uprated 50% which stacks up with Emmanuel's experience. We also fitted front anti roll bars/sway bars as part of the kit. They made the turn in much sharper. On my road car I also fitted a rear bar as well to reduce understeer as anyone who has seen me 4 wheel drifting through Fordwater at Goodwood will confirm!

Lastly, the best tyres I have found for every day use on the road are the Avon Turbospeeds which were developed for the Bentley Mulsane Turbo. They fit best on an 8 inch rim which were made by MWS at Langley. They look fabulous, ride as smooth as silk and stick to the road like glue.

Keep up the banter and most of all, enjoy your cars.

Andy.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 02:46:54 »
Thanks Andy,

What do you think about air vents on the bonnet? Also I was thinking about increasing the size of the bulge in the middle of the bonnet like the Aston V8. The current opening at the back of the bonnet is tiny and does not allow the hot air to escape! You know, come to think of it, a few years ago, I had a 1979 Aston V8 Volante that had been converted to Vantage specs. I Purchased and fitted a front "Prince of Wales" spoiler and it reduced engine temperature. So much so that original UK "prince of Wales V8 Astons have their front grill blocked! The Aston also has a huge airbox system with 2 hoses to bring fresh air to the carbs. Also, on the 428, the front bumper is in the way and split the air flow!
   Regarding tires, I fitted Stock US jaguar pirelli 225/60 X 15 Z rated tires and the car corners much better, I can now feel the wire wheels flex.
   While I think about it, do you know if I could purchase a clutch pedal and master cylinder from Unifix? There is already a provision for it in the pedal box.

Thanks,

Emmanuel

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 02:28:23 »
Hi Emmanuel,

I'm not sure about the Aston size bonnet bulge. It depends on the air pressure in front of the windscreen. The lower the pressure the better the flow through the rear vent.

I did once prop the bonnet open with a stainless dog bowl on top of the air filter. It worked well until half way down the long straight at the Nurburgring! At over 100mph the bonnet lifted which gave me a moment's anxiety, and we never did find the bowl!

Your clutch master cylinder assembly should be available from Girling or Bob Green over here, but the pedal will need some old fashioned fabricetion.

After writing about The Black Car, I checked what needs doing to make it run. Unfortunately the fuel tank and pumps are missing as is the dry sump oil tank and associated plumbing. Obviously 'borrowed' to build another racer. Back to the drawing board.

Keep up the good work, Andy.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 15:04:17 »
I think I might have found a design for the openings on the hood! Long and norrow cuts with wiremesh like the new Aston V8, quite nice! I think that should not deface the car too much! I will start by cutting openings in the hood until I have something that works! then once I am sure of that, I will do the cosmetic part! Why is the hood so heavy since it is made of aluminum? Aluminium for you guys'.

E

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 13:49:23 »
Hi Shep,

I think the spoiler might have solved the engine cooling issue, I have not used the car much as of yet but at 100MPH engine temp is steady a 70 degrees/C. No need to butcher the hood! Now the front bumpers are not installed, I wonder if it make a difference? [:D]

Emmanuel

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 18:14:26 »
Hello everyone,

I'm very pleased to have discovered this forum this stormy Friday morning.  My name is Chuck Maddox [the third]...

Along with my sister I own AC428 Chassis No. CF7:

which I helped my father [Chuck Jr.] locate in the mid-1970's in England.  Which is a moderately amusing story, as the car was in London, I found it while in the US Midwest and it was nearly two full years before I could legally drive  [:0] , but I'll try to stay on topic for this first post....  [:)]  Thus, hile I've only ,,technically,, been an owner since my father passed away a number of years ago, I have quite a few of first hand experiences.

Engine Temperature:

I'll echo everything that Emmanuel and others have said about the engine's operating temperature...

The six[seven] word summary: These cars do not run cool [period].

CF7 is equipped with a pair of electrically activated fans which kick in about 95°C and will switch off about 90°C.  In the summer months, unless the ambient temperature is unseasonably cool or you're at highway speeds, they are running, or cycling on/off with regularity.  In the cooler months, with cooler temperatures they operate less frequently, but at lower speeds and or in City traffic, they are on quite a bit.

I'd also echo that putting in a Transmission cooler, if the '428 you're purchasing/own has an Automatic, is a very good idea.  I'd also recommend installation of a high-volume oil-pump which will keep the circulation of engine oil moving apace.  In fact a finned aluminum oil pan might help as well.  The more freely flowing the oil and the more opportunities it has to be cycled away from the hotter areas of the engine block the better is the thinking here.

I'd tend to recommend avoidance of modifications of the body work as much as possible.  They didn't make very many of these, it'd be a shame to go ape on such a beautiful design.  I'd try to stick with modifications which can easily be reverted, electric engine fans, the side vents  between the front wheel and the doors [viewable below] mentioned previously.  In other words solutions that AC tried back in the day as much as possible, unless you're buying CF1, etc... [Please leave CF1 alone!]

[I should mention that CF7 was the factory press car for several years and many picture in era reviews are of CF7.  If you see tag: UPG428F, chances are it's CF7]

I could see adding a chin spoiler with the idea of deflecting more air into the grill, more so than adding to the rest of the body.  [Please leave the exterior hood unmodified...]

However, even on hot days with the windows down and the various flip open windows and vents open, the AC428 is a very comfortable car to drive as long as you're moving above 25mph or so.  Even with a black leather interior as CF7 has.  Mr. Frua must have been aware of the heat situation with the big block Ford plant when he created a coupe with 8 windows!

Suspension:

The AC 428 is provides an excellent and comfortable ride.  It's plain in my mind that this car was intended for extended drives in the strongest sense of "Grand Touring".  The thought of taking an extended trip in other cars of this era make me wince if not cringe.  In fact, when the AC arrived in-country, my Father and I drove it back some 1000 miles from the port of entry to the mid-west with no complaints at all.  We had driven out with a covered car carrier, which we hadn't

However, there is more than a grain of truth to what Emmanuel says about the suspension...  It is more tuned to long stints driving and comfort than handling prowess and clearance over rough railroad crossings.  Of the things I would ask for in an improved edition it would be for some of the modifications he mentions.  I would love to hear expanded thoughts from him and the rest of the peanut gallery here towards those ends.  [Part Numbers and sources would be VERY helpful!].

All that said, the AC, well at least CF7, still corners like a cat and will acquit itself well in most situations albeit with a bit of body roll at higher speeds:

[Of course the car is going over 70 there and it was a kinky bend at that.]
   ... well, will acquit itself well as long as one isn't going up against cars with either more modern or extensively tuned suspensions.  With a 79-81 series production run and a manufacturer who in the best of times was financially finite, there weren't a lot of resources for optimal suspension tuning.

The one other negative about the AC's driving experience is it's turning radius.  It's bad, I mean it's close to full-sized Van bad.  Fortunately, even with manual steering the AC is light enough that you don't have to wrestle the wheel with body-builder's strength, but one should expect to have to make several cuts to successfully parallel park.  In fact, I'd wager that it wouldn't take most people very long at all to drive past close in parallel spots in favor of diagonal parking further along.

For the most part, in terms of driving experience those are the downsides that come to mind.  The big V-8 provides Torque galore at your beck and call, it accelerates briskly and smoothly on demand, and you can get an oil change just about anywhere.  Brakes are very good, interior comfort and space (for two people) is excellent bordering on outstanding even for taller and larger folks.  One can experiment with "Regular" grades of gas, mid-range is typically adequate except for hot days and hot runs, and at 70 miles per hour 20 miles per gallon is obtainable as long as you don't whomp on the go pedal a lot.

As far as Ownership concerns...  Mechanically, the design is sound and parts are pretty easy and straightforward to obtain.  Mechanically it's a stretched AC Cobra 427.  The major concerns are the bodywork, etc.  I'd suspect I'd get a "He11 Yeah!" when I say the biggest fear of an AC 428 owner is of someone rubbernecking at that beautiful Frua body and causing a accident that will collect you.   I mean, where is one going to find a windscreen if you catch a cast off pebble from a dump truck?  Thames-Ditton?

Aside from that the other major concern is the steel the body was made from.  Folks, the body is made of 1960's/1970's Italian coachwork quality steel.  If you've been out and about in inclement weather, dry the car throughly before putting her away.  The Italian steel of this era was notorious for rusting, however if you take care you can prevent or at least minimize any formation of rust.

A couple of points that I'd like to mention...

The body's design is simply drop dead gorgeous...  The car does not have a bad side or angle on it.  It simultaniously looks very rounded and sharp/pointy without having the bulbous looks of so many 1950's cars, or the very pointy and wedge shapes of cars a few years newer in design.  The very paradoxical.  There are lots of beautiful cars out there, chances are if you run across one while driving an AC 428 the occupants of the other car are much more envious of you than you of them.

The coupe simply does not have a blind spot.  The Greenhouse back window and those openable 8 side windows prevent that.

The Fueling system is pure genius on the coupe...  Twin filler caps on either side behind the last side window assures you are always pulled up to the proper side of the pump for filling.  In addition, the fuel tanks are nearly vertical on either side of the cavernous trunk assuring a steady feed of go juice under even the most spirited of cornering.

There is plenty of room around the engine to work.  The only compromise which can be seen are fairly restrictive exhaust headers.  I'm certain there is probably a way to retro-fit more open headers, but I'm not certain how one would do it without major surgery.  Perhaps "shep" would have some insight about that.

The Coupe I have has it's original knock-off wire wheels.  We've never had a problem with them, but I'd expect that solid wheels would be more advisable with a blueprinted or enhanced engine package.

I haven't had the good fortune to have driven an original 427 Cobra, although I've had a turn at the wheel of several kit versions.  But I've ridden in a number of original and kit Cobra 427's.  They are harsh, brutal purpose built cars to go wickedly fast at the expense of virtually everything else.  By comparision, the AC 428 is a gentleman's car that is well suited to civilized society while still being very capable of exhibiting and flourishing a fast and wild streak.  This is a car one could commute to work in, in city traffic and it will display fine manners in such usage.  In fact, I've read several "head-to-head" articles in various magazines over the years and nearly every one has finished off with a paragraph that I'll paraphrase as follows: ,,that all said, if given the chance to take any of these cars home to drive and to live with, the AC 428 would be my first choice and not even by a small margin...".  These words are spoken in comparasion with the best of the direct competitors of the '428 in that era including the 427 Corvette, Jensen Interceptor and Jaguar XKE.  While I do not have any first hand experiences with suspension modifications, I'd advise that one be conservative in changes in order to find the perfect compromise between ride comfort, ground clearance and cornering prowess.

[Wow, this had gotten long!]

Anyway...  The coupe is a great car [I've never seen a AC428 Convertable in person].   I'm personally hard pressed to think of any car I'd personally rather have.  Sure, I'd love to own a GT-40 [original Mark III or the recent remake], a Pantera would be nice [and they can be found at very reasonable prices], but personally I think it's hard to beat a AC 428 for a fun, comfortable, enjoyable and livable car.  It simply has so much going for it.

I look forward to having conversations with you all in the future.

As a bit of a welcoming gift, I'll point you all to a rather large PDF I created of an article on the AC 428 from Automobile Quarterly...
   http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/motorin/AC_Article_AQ_v29-n4.pdf
   Be aware that this PDF is 6+ megabytes in size and will take some time to download to your machine [save it once it's done and read it with a PDF reader], but I wanted it big.

I'd love to hear from you all, especially if you know of AC resources in the Greater Chicago/Gary/Milwaukee metroplex.  I'm afraid I'm not as much of a car collector as my father was...  I'm more into collecting chronograph watches.  So I'd love to know of resources in my area.

Cheers to you all and keep the shiny side up!

--  Chuck

P.S. I hope you all don't mind the length of this post.  It's so nice to meet folks who know what these are!  --  C

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 18:40:52 »
We will do! Emmanuel

Howard Somerville

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 22:43:08 »
For 25 years I positively worshipped the AC428, from the moment I first saw it at the London Motor Show. It just 'hit the spot'. I came to know every word of the road tests by heart.  A wealthy relative had test-driven one and said it was "a nothing car". I never spoke to him again!  I identified with the AC428.

It was purely aspirational, of course. I was young. I went through the motions - I framed a letter from AC, pressed my nose against the Thames Ditton works window, paid homage annually at Earls Court (wasting the standholders' time), obtained an insurance quote and one from Minilite for wider, offset alloy wheels - the empty space in the 428's wheel arches had always worried me.  I wasted other motor factors' time with enquiries about fitments and modifications for the AC - sun roofs, tyres and engine upgrades.  It was almost a religion.

In my 40's, I had serious thoughts about actually owning a 428, and went to see Andy Shepherd near Brooklands.  He kindly took me for a spin in his own 427-engined Fastback.

I should have kept it all a dream.  I'd always imagined the AC428 to be the best car ever made; the reality (sorry, Andy) felt more like a tractor engine bolted to a trolley jack.  But I did provide Andy with the car report from 'Country Life', which even he had never seen before.

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 16:20:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by Howard Somerville

In my 40's, I had serious thoughts about actually owning a 428, and went to see Andy Shepherd near Brooklands.  He kindly took me for a spin in his own 427-engined Fastback.

I should have kept it all a dream.  I'd always imagined the AC428 to be the best car ever made; the reality (sorry, Andy) felt more like a tractor engine bolted to a trolley jack.  But I did provide Andy with the car report from 'Country Life', which even he had never seen before.

For what it's worth...  I've driven a number of 427 powered vehicles and the 427 engine, which I dearly love... I consider it the best engine Ford ever produced, is basically a racing engine.  Big Bore, short[er] stroke, solid lifter, high strung jackhammer of an engine.  By comparison, the 428 is smoother, more docile, more tractable, more civilized...  It's not going to be much of a challenge for a 427 to top, but the 428 is a much more streetable motor.  Fewer Zots (Horsepower) but far more forgiving and forgivable in traffic.

Howard, I wouldn't throw the AC 428 Fastback under the wheels based on one drive with a 427 powered version.  Are there nicer cars out there?  Certainly in the 40 years since the AC 428's have been out there manufacturers have had a lot of time to produce something better, but the 428 is still a pretty damn good car in today's world and it was   a GREAT car for it's era.  You can read nearly any of the Three or Four way Head to Heads against XKE's, Corvettes and other period cars, and nearly every one finishes with verbiage which I'll paraphrase ,,with all that said and done, if I had to choose one of these cars to keep and live with, the AC stands out,,  and it does.

And it's a helluva a looker too!

Sincerely,

--  Chuck

Howard Somerville

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2007, 13:21:22 »
Yes, the side-on aspect has a certain, unique, je-ne-sais-quoi about it; the headlamp cowlings and horizontal line of the front wings help to give that.  A 1970's TVR, on a smaller scale, had a similar profile to the AC but a less nautical and more aerodynamic and purposeful frontal aspect.

I've often fantasised about a Mk II version of the 428 and what changes might have been incorporated, like a redesigned nose (resolving the engine airflow problem), a wider track (needing only simple chassis mods.), wider wheels and fitment of the later 460 CU Ford V8 (the new model would have been the AC460), a 4-speed auto transmission, anti-roll bars, plus all the detailed improvements like oil coolers, louvres, sound and heat insulation in the bulkhead, flush-fitting side windows, air-con etc.  I'll dream on.

The modern, compact Bristol 'Fighter' comes nearest to my (imagined) AC460.  The concept is very similar, but the Bristol alas is so, so UGLY.

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 18:34:28 »
quote:

Yes, the side-on aspect has a certain, unique, je-ne-sais-quoi about it; the headlamp cowlings and horizontal line of the front wings help to give that.  A 1970's TVR, on a smaller scale, had a similar profile to the AC but a less nautical and more aerodynamic and purposeful frontal aspect.
I am not especially familiar with the 1970's TVR's, few of which made it to far away [North] American shores...

What I really like about the Frua is that it is at or nearly at the apogee of 1960's sporting car design...  Nearly everything after it was either festooned with air dams, spoilers and wings or wedge shaped most of which had all the personality and beauty of a doorstop.  [Guilty admission: I kinda liked the looks of the TR-7 as an early teen, but I wised up quickly.  Still like the looks of the DeTomaso/Ford Pantera, but there is no comparison with the Frua in my book].  The late 1960's produced the last automobiles which favored rounded curvy lines over and instead of hard angular/wedge lines for nearly a generation, until the "melted Jelly Bean" look of the 1983 1/2 Ford Thunderbird.

I'm not sure about what and how great the aerodynamic differences between a Frua shaped car and a similar sized Wedge shaped car would be.  Certainly I'd think a Wedge shaped car would likely produce more downforce but I don't know if overall drag would be much different.

quote:

I've often fantasised about a Mk II version of the 428 and what changes might have been incorporated, like a redesigned nose (resolving the engine airflow problem), a wider track (needing only simple chassis mods.), wider wheels and fitment of the later 460 CU Ford V8 (the new model would have been the AC460), a 4-speed auto transmission, anti-roll bars, plus all the detailed improvements like oil coolers, louvres, sound and heat insulation in the bulkhead, flush-fitting side windows, air-con etc.  I'll dream on.

I guess it would come down to how/what one wanted to create/call a Mark II AC 428...  There are a number of ways one could pursue it:

1] basically take a stretched AC Cobra 427 Frame [as being made by any number of kit car and continuation fabricators] and drape over a new FibreGlass/Steel/Aluminum body on it [as has been done in the instance shown below:

and people could fit it out as they felt...

Personally, I'd think this to be the most straightforward manner to pursue, people could then choose to modify the original basic styling/design/specs as they saw fit.

2] An updated body [along the lines of the BrisFit you mention below] on a stretched AC Cobra 427 frame.

I'd think this would be more ambitious than #1.

3] An updated frame [with your desired wider track and provisions for wider wheels, etc.] with either a replica or revised  fibre/steel/aluminum body.

Which would be even more ambitious.

There obviously is a market for AC Cobra 427 continuation and kit cars.  Is there a market for a more practical, more modern AC Frua based Mark II series?  As much as I love the Cobra 427's they are really 6 month of the year, weekend when the weather is good cars.  An Frua [especially a Fastback] is a much more practical car and could easily be a daily driver a solid 9 months of the year even in the US Rust belt [especially with a fibreglass body].

As for what I'd like in a AC Frua Mark II...

Powertrain/Suspension: I'd be torn between a hydraulic lifter [somewhat civilized] 427 and a 428 Cobra Jet.  Not that the 460 isn't a magnificent engine in it's own right, it is, but I'd have to do some serious noodling about the powerplant.  Aluminum heads and intake might reduce the front engine weight to the benefit of performance, handling and wear on the front suspension.  A Doug Nash 5-Speed [or perhaps the current Mustang 5-Speed Manual] would be up to the task for a Manual Transmission.  I'm sure Ford has something available suitable in an automatic transmission for a highly powered powerplant.  Anti-lock brakes would be a welcomed addition I'd suspect by everyone.  I wouldn't burden a 427 or a 428 Cobra Jet with Air Conditioning...  If I felt I needed AC I'd probably go with a 460 plant.

Styling/Interior: I'd personally try to keep the original lines as much as possible, with a minimum of spoilers [only as needed to cool the engine and oil coolers], perhaps the option for clear headlight covers, smooth mount front turn signals might be a nice addition.  Smooth mount glass would be nice but only if they can be opened as the original Frua for airflow in the passenger compartment. But if the Mark II was done as a Kit Car, people could fit them out as they saw fit [spoilers/dams/wings whatever].  I'd also prefer the early pattern 8 guage mechanical instrument cluster to the later 6/7 Gauge pattern.  It would also enhance my driving enjoyment if the Mark II had iPod, satellite Radio and GPS connectivity/capability, especially on Grand Touring romps.  Personally, I'd put iPod/Satellite Radio and GPS ahead of AC...  I figure if I need to be cooler I can drive faster with the windows down!

quote:
   [brThe modern, compact Bristol 'Fighter' comes nearest to my (imagined) AC460.  The concept is very similar, but the Bristol alas is so, so UGLY.  

Zounds!  Indeed!  I agree!

Whoa!  Wait a moment!  It looks like there is another Bristol Fighter...  [Sorry, I've been a WWI Aviation aficionado ever since seeing "The Blue Max" at age 9, so when I hear "Bristol Fighter"...  I automatically think of Bi-Planes]...  Here we go:

It's not bad, but I personally would vote for my method #1 above than a re-skining.  But that's just me.  The original Frua shape is so close to my optimal, I wouldn't want to stray too far from it.

--  Chuck

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 20:06:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by Howard Somerville...The modern, compact Bristol 'Fighter' comes nearest to my (imagined) AC460.  The concept is very similar, but the Bristol alas is so, so UGLY.

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck M...It's not bad, but I wouldn't want to stray too far from...the original Frua shape.

Ok, straying a little way from the Frua sape, but how fine is the line between 'HIT' & 'MISS'?
   The achingly beautiful (IMVHO!) Shelby GR-1 project bears such resemblance to the Brizzle, (or should that be the other way around?)but Ford decided to produce the GT instead.

Howard Somerville

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 18:40:43 »
I quite agree.  A Mark II AC428 should keep all the best, trademark stylistic features of the original.  That's very much a retro look, but updated to a 70's retro rather than a 60's one.  Here's the 1970 TVR Tuscan - note the similarities to the Frua, but the much better (nose-down) front, achievable by lowering the headlamps.  Derek Hurlock was perhaps too uncritical of Frua's offering.

Our hypothetical Mk II might also benefit from a more steeply-raked windscreen and an AMV8-style moulding under the tail to improve airflow and protect the exhaust.

A modern 4, 5 or 6-speed auto box would be a vast improvement, even with the original engine, providing a smooth kickdown and a 160+ mph top speed.  And that track must be widened a good 4", by whatever means.

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 02:24:16 »
quote:

I quite agree.  A Mark II AC428 should keep all the best, trademark stylistic features of the original.  That's very much a retro look, but updated to a 70's retro rather than a 60's one.  
When it's a continuation of the old model [with a few modest adjustments, it's not really "Retro" look just an update or a refresh.
quote:

Here's the 1970 TVR Tuscan - note the similarities to the Frua, but the much better (nose-down) front,

[skeptical look]  Much better front?  I'm sorry Howard, I really don't see it.  Perhaps the under bumper spoiler area could be emulated, but I really don't see the TVR as an improvement over the appearance of the Frua design.
quote:

achievable by lowering the headlamps.
While there are certainly better and lesser ways to position the headlights for aerodynamic advantage, one still has to push the entire vehicle's cross section through the air.  As a kid and a teen I liked the idea of lexan covers over sunken headlights [example the early XKE's] for cars which would benefit from them [like the Minstral, AC 428 Frua, Datsun 240/260/280Z's, etc.] but as I've grown older, I'm not so fond of them.  Perhaps a way could be designed to add that styling touch to better slip through the wind in that area.
quote:

Derek Hurlock was perhaps too uncritical of Frua's offering.
Indeed, perhaps I am too uncritical of Frua's work, but I am hard pressed to scrap it's styling for nearly anything else.

quote:

Our hypothetical Mk II might also benefit from a more steeply-raked windscreen and an AMV8-style moulding under the tail to improve airflow and protect the exhaust.
Hmmm...  I'd prefer to address the more obvious needs first: the engine bay heat needs to be dealt with more effectively, perhaps ceramic-coating the Exhaust manifold as well as a more efficient Radiator would be a good start.  Perhaps a modest chin spoiler wouldn't drastically hurt the Frua's overall appearance while funneling more outside air through the radiator.   Perhaps cooler outside air would also equate to an improvement in engine power via some sort of air intake routed through the nose as well.  Perhaps a rear diffuser could be designed to tidy up the appearance and the airflow around the rear.

I've read reports that there was some difficulty with all of the engine weight over the front suspension...  I would think aluminum heads might be a worthwhile weight savings that would benefit the handling as well as all around performance without a large expenditure of funds.
quote:

A modern 4, 5 or 6-speed auto box would be a vast improvement, even with the original engine, providing a smooth kickdown and a 160+ mph top speed.  And that track must be widened a good 4", by whatever means.

I have long suspected that the AC 428 Frua's somewhat limited top speed is more due to a finite red-line and a three speed transmission rather than atmospheric factors.  I'd like to think Ford has a modern automatic transmission that's capable of taking the 428's torque and has more forward gears.   My 2006 Explorer V8 is rated at 292 HP [Net, not Gross] and something over 300ftLb's of torque and has 6 forward speeds.  I'd like to think that Ford has something in it's truck line which can handle more power.

The TVR is, well, interesting...  But if I were to look towards other cars to steal body ideas off of for a Frua Mark II, I'd tend towards the Daytona Coupe or even the AC Mamba rather than TVR's...

But that's just me...

However, another thing to note is that the Daytona coupe was also known to have issues with heat making it a less than optimal street car:

http://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/2007/01/14/the-missing-daytona-coupe-mystery/

I'd just as soon keep it as close to the original as possible, and baring that, keep it as close within the family as possible at least from the viewpoint of the casual viewer.

--  Chuck

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 03:48:32 »
A Frua with proper gearing and a decent cross bolted 427 side oiler motor should out speed a 427 Cobra (in the straight of course). The MKIII would not go above 185 mph no matter the gears, and that's without the windscreen, it's a brick! The 428 coupe, with 6" longer chassis and much better aero, should be much faster than that despite the extra 500lbs. It should go like a Daytona probably or better (Daytona has only 350hp). With 5 speed and lets say .86 fifth and 3.31 rear,  if the engine can spin around 6 to 6500 RPM you would be going about 200MPH! Ask Andy about his racing 428. AC used a pickup truck engine in the car with no cam and a tiny carb, the C6 box is very heavy and rubs much power, probably 30bhp. Since I converted mine to 4 speed, the car drives like a Cobra, it has a whole new personality. I think I will install a TKO with .86 5th for better highway cruising.

Emmanuel