Author Topic: Postwar DHC for sale.  (Read 4090 times)

3.5 Pints at the Bar

• View Profile
Postwar DHC for sale.
« on: November 11, 2013, 16:56:01 »
It's not every day a 2 Litre DHC comes up for sale, and restored too. It's in the Czech Republic and is right-hand drive:

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/car-advert/ac/2-litre/1949/213721/

I can't identify it to comfirm if it's an original drophead or not.

PPJ834

• View Profile
Postwar DHC for sale.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:41:30 »
I thought this a good looking car, though the price a little steep. Its Chassis number L1093 relates to a 2litre saloon. The engine number 1092 is correct for that saloon. Still looks good, though the value not there.

3.5 Pints at the Bar

• View Profile
Postwar DHC for sale.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 22:27:27 »
Are you sure about that chassis number? EL1093 came up on ebay (UK) last year dismantled for restoration and engineless. I agree, the drophead looks good!

PPJ834

• View Profile
Postwar DHC for sale.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 20:27:05 »
I emailed them and they gave those details, also more photo's showing the stripped body. So could well be the one on Ebay last year. There's another saloon/drophead coming up on H&H's December auction. Be interesting to see what that makes!!!

3.5 Pints at the Bar

• View Profile
Postwar DHC for sale.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 16:56:17 »
Thanks for that info'. I recall now that it came with a bare engine block (last year), so the numbers would tally. Thanks for the tip-off for the H and H auction for another beheaded saloon:

http://www.classic-auctions.com/Auctions/04-12-2013-ChateauImpney-1346/1951AC2-LitreDropheadCoupe-37446.aspx

I hope that they find good homes.

PPJ834

• View Profile
Postwar DHC for sale.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 16:07:01 »
I think the H&H saloon is from Drax in east Yorkshire. The guy I bought my saloon from had a number of saloons, including one he'd cut the roof off. It had no hood or frame and I seem to remember a non AC engine. Do you think extra strengthening would be needed to compensate for the loss of the roof?

ACOCArch

• View Profile
Postwar DHC for sale.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 21:48:09 »
quote:
[ Do you think extra strengthening would be needed to compensate for the loss of the roof?

I looked very closely at L990 about 20 years ago - an original factory drop-head Two-Litre. My recollection is that the chassis was strengthened by boxing in the side members behind the cruciform. Would that make sense?

My favourite Two-Litre! The car needed much work at that time and sadly my head ruled my heart!!!!

3.5 Pints at the Bar

• View Profile
Postwar DHC for sale.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 22:39:46 »
Stiffening (as distinct from strengthening) might benefit a drophead, so that the tops of the A posts don't move around relative to the doors. But maybe the AC has enough bending stiffness? The chassis on a 2 Litre is already boxed behind the crusiform. If anyone wants to offer me a ride in their 2 Litre DHC, I'll accept in the name of scientific analysis :)