Author Topic: Brake bleeding question.  (Read 3324 times)

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Brake bleeding question.
« on: October 27, 2013, 19:08:33 »
Dear all,

Has anyone experienced brake bleeding problems with these cars. I am at the stage of bleeding the brakes on my Superblower build project. I have noticed that the remote reservoir is only a little higher than the location of the master cylinder. The low pressure brake hoses fitted to the outlet ports on the reservoir have to swoop down before they can bend round and head off to the master cylinder, this causes a bit of a trench and an 'uphill' section of piping and the gravity feed to the cylinder is then lost. As a result, I am struggling to do the first bleed of my brake system. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, how did you overcome it?
   I have pumped the pedal a million times but don't have any fluid coming out of the exits of the cylinder. I may have to pressurise the system with a shreader valve type pump device in order to do the first bleed of the system, the fluid then may work in a syphoning type effect???
   Any advice would be welcome.
   Many thanks
   Gary

French Frie

• View Profile
Brake bleeding question.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 21:39:21 »
Hi Gary,

It's even harder with LHD cars, as the reservoir is on the master cylinder, and hence just in the wing ! But I used an eezybleed system to do my bleeding, and it was fine !

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Brake bleeding question.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 22:06:32 »
Thanks very much.

I have been looking this evening for a pressurised brake bleeding kit. I think once the fluid is pushed down and through the cylinder to each calliper, the remaining fluid will be drawn in a syphoning effect.
   Regards

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Brake bleeding question.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 09:04:45 »
Gary,
   I prefer these:
   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITYVAC-MV8020-AUTOMOTIVE-TEST-AND-BRAKE-BLEEDING-KIT-/171097145672?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item27d62f4148

A certain AC heritage engineer put me on to them. The pressurised systems I always seem to get fluid everywhere.

Graham

jbottini

• View Profile
Brake bleeding question.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 16:35:39 »
Ff, by the way, you have anew or rebuilt madtercylinder in car. Jim

aCMXCVIIIer

• View Profile
Brake bleeding question.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 18:42:07 »
I have both a Gunson Eeezibleed and a Mityvac and much prefer the Eezibleed.  While I don't have a Superblower I have used both on my Cobra and found the Mityvac awkward and often hard to determine when all of the air had been bled from the system because of the air bubbles that get sucked past the bleeder valve.  Bleeders with check valves help a bit, but some air still gets by.  Another advantage of the Eezibleed is that it's easier to monitor the fluid level in the reservoir because it's being filled from a clear external bottle.  That said, there are some cautions to be aware of when using the Eezibleed.  The instructions say to pressurize up to a maximum of 20 psi.  I once did 20 psi and blew fluid past the cap all over the engine compartment.  I recommend a much lower pressure to start with.  Another precaution I take is to pretest without filling the bottle to verify that there are no air leaks at whatever pressure is used.  The instructions also suggest using your spare tire as a pressure source.  That's probably preferable to using a compressor, but if you don't like having to fiddle with your spare, you might want to make an alternative pressure source.  I made one out of a cheap garden sprayer that I purchased at a local garden supply store.  Just MVHO.

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Brake bleeding question.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 18:53:34 »
Thanks to you all for your contributions, however before I had seen them all, I have gone out today and bought a Gunson's Eeezibleed kit. I have noted the cautionary points from acMXCVIIIer. I'll let you know how I get on!