Author Topic: Aceca Tool Tray Queries  (Read 5354 times)

Anthony Blythe

• View Profile
Aceca Tool Tray Queries
« on: October 08, 2013, 11:24:02 »
Hi All,

Some time ago there was a discussion concerning details regarding the tool tray for an Aceca; its under ID 1158. The design and content of the tool tray associated to this discussion is significantly different to the one illustrated in the "Original  Ace & Cobra" reference book by Rinsey Mills (this is shown on pages 51 and 53). Thus my initial query is why the difference (design changed over time ?).

My second queries are about the spanners. Were these Garringtons red diamond & what were the sizes provided ?

The reason of the above queries is to ensure when I build one (I have O level wood work from the 1960s) I do it correctly. Thanks in anticipation, Tony B

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Aceca Tool Tray Queries
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 13:33:29 »
There were at least two variations of the Aceca tool tray. The Bristol version differed in having the cranked spanner for tappet adjustment.

I can't help with the original sizes but from the two sets I have seen the spanner make was Garringtons.

Regards
   Luke.

59 Aceca

• View Profile
Aceca Tool Tray Queries
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 20:15:23 »
Hi Anthony,

I had the benefit of referring to an original and complete tool tray from a 1956 AC engined Aceca (later converted to a V8) when recreating my tool tray and sourcing the correct tools.  It is possible the tools may have changed over the years of production, but this set contained the following:

Garrington Merlin open end spanners
   - 3/16W x 1/8W
   - 5/16W x 1/4W
   - 7/16W x 3/8W
   - 7/16W x 1/2W

Screwdriver
   Jenbro 8 inch

Pliers
   Jenbro 6-1/4 inch

Box Spanner
   Jenbro 7/16W 4 inch

Tommy Bar
   6 inch

In addition to the above items, it contained two unbranded and rather crudely made box spanners with handles.  If you would like to contact me directly via email through this website I will be happy to assist in the details of the tool tray.  Both fit perfectly into their designated spaces in the tool tray and are correct.

Best regards,

Greg

Anthony Blythe

• View Profile
Aceca Tool Tray Queries
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 21:00:53 »
Hi Greg,

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

I tried to respond to you via eMail from this forum site but got a "failure" response via my eMail provider.

I think I know what the two crude spanners are for so if you need any info try to[:) eMail me from your end.

Thanks again, Tony B [:)]

59 Aceca

• View Profile
Aceca Tool Tray Queries
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 21:08:17 »
Hi Anthony,

Just sent you an email through this site.  Let me know if you receive.

Greg

Aceca289

• View Profile
Aceca Tool Tray Queries
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 22:22:29 »
Hi Tony,

I’m the one who provided the model for Greg to use to compile his tool kit. I also drew up some detailed sketches of the two “crude” spanners (for adjusting and bleeding the brakes) for another member to use to replicate these tools, and he was successful in reproducing them. Here’s a link to the forum thread from a few years ago…lots of pics to look at.

http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1158&SearchTerms=tool,tray

As Luke mentioned above, the tool tray differed from the AC powered Acecas vs. the Bristol powered ones.  What type of engine do you have in your Aceca? I mention this because there was another thread regarding an ACOC member on your side of the pond who had reproduced the Bristol tray and had some available in 2009. Try this link:

http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1205&SearchTerms=tool,tray

If you have any trouble with any of these links, just click the search button on the top of the forum page and type in “tool tray”…you’ll get a few more forum posts on the subject as well.
   I see that my sketch of the brake bleeder spanner doesn't show up on the forum post noted above. If you want, I can send you PDF scans of these sketches…I’ll e-mail you via the Forum link to see if you’re interested.

Good luck on your project! [:)]

Best,

John

lew

• View Profile
Aceca Tool Tray Queries
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 16:05:45 »
Hi John,
   I know I am old,half blind and half deaf, but I cant find the search button on the forum page.please help the elderly !!
   Lew

Aceca289

• View Profile
Aceca Tool Tray Queries
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 17:45:02 »
Hi Lew,

You'll find the "search" button at the top of this page under the "AC Owners Club" banner. Hidden in plain sight. [:D] Happy searching...it's a great way to quickly access old posts.

John