Author Topic: Gasket sealer or not?  (Read 2536 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Gasket sealer or not?
« on: August 18, 2015, 00:07:17 »
My car has been weeping some oil, and it seems to be coming from the oil pump cover, so I am making a new gasket from cork to replace the old paper gasket (see the pictures). Before I reinstall, what are the thoughts on using gasket sealer or not on this gasket?

With cover removed

Old gasket on the left, new made-up gasket on the right

Peter B.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Gasket sealer or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 00:33:10 »
I expect the cover you have is made from steel plate so not very flat, you could make a new one in thicker aluminium plate & use a liquid seal which would take up any surface issues , you are probably bending the steel cover when it is tightened!

Robin

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Gasket sealer or not?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 01:59:20 »

Just a word of caution, Saturday before leaving for Luxembourg I drained all oil from BEX333 and changed the screw on oil filter,  I find it easier and quicker to remove the Vokes oil filter head complete from the Bone.  Where upon I found the thick paper gasket in need of replacement, Couldn't find Gasket paper to fabricate  new gasket so made one in cork,  run engine all OK,  Left home late Sunday afternoon and 13 miles later deposited nearly 2 gallons of Millers Oil on the A43 near Silverstone as the cork gasket failed..[:(]
   Arranged lift home, One hour later returned to BEX with proper paper gasket plus small smear of blue Hylamar  on either side, reassembly, refill with another 2 gallons of Oil,  get modern and Ace back home to clean up, then start journey again...... 1499 miles later leak free..[:)]

Should have spent a little more time in the workshop and my garage to
   locate and use the right material.
   Hind site is a wonderful thing.[;)]

Keith.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Gasket sealer or not?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 03:15:46 »
Thanks Keith - maybe I'll get some different gasket material, even though this cork/rubber combo is supposed to be fine for oil! Better safe than sorry.
Peter B.