Author Topic: History of AEX542  (Read 14874 times)

AEX542

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« on: October 07, 2013, 18:25:46 »
Hello All!
   I am the owner of AEX542, which was sold in March of this year in California, here is a link of the first posting about it:

http://www.acownersclub.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2696

The car came with many documents dating back to the early 60's, by then it had already been converted to a Ford V8. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to get any earlier information on the car, specifically build dates, original options, etc.  If my understanding is correct, there is not a searchable Registrar available online.

Any information is helpful, and if I am posting this in the wrong place, please redirect me.

Thanks
   Austin

P.S. The build is going fantastic. the body aluminum is in great shape, and the car is already out of paint and in the final stages of being put together. If anybody has any specific questions of the build, Id be happy to answer them

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 01:06:10 »
   Austin

AEX542  AC Aceca,  Left Thames Ditton for Los Angeles on
   30th December 1955,  Painted Opal Blue with Black trim and fitted with AC engine number CL-2226-W.

Hopefully the above data gives you a starting point in the History  of AEX542.

Any additional information would be appreciated by the Official ACOC AC Aceca Registrar.....
   Glenn_burnage@ tiscali.co.uk

Keith..[;)]

AEX542

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 07:19:14 »
Thank you so much for that info, I was told that it had spent its entire life in Cali, but it was just here say as my paper trail ends in 63'.  Do you know what kind of info the Registrar is looking for mostly?

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:44:40 »
quote:

P.S. The build is going fantastic. the body aluminum is in great shape, and the car is already out of paint and in the final stages of being put together. If anybody has any specific questions of the build, Id be happy to answer them

Pictures,pictures !!!

AEX542

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 21:40:24 »
Here are some before and after pics as requested.  I have plenty more, so if anyone would like to see a detailed write up of the build similar to the detailed and awesome BE 646 build just let me know and Id be happy to oblige
   Here is AEX542 when I received it
   [/URL]
   bringing it home from paint (Finished in a modern Ford color called "Sterling Grey Metallic")
   [/URL]
   as it sits in my shop right now
   [/URL]

AEX542

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 21:44:45 »
Engine Bay shots before:
   [/URL]
   [/URL]
   and After, just prior to installing the engine:

[/URL]

AEX542

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 21:48:28 »
The Ford 260 Before:
   [/URL]
   And after:
   [/URL]
   Rear Suspension Before:
   [/URL]
   After:
   [/URL]

AEX542

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 21:59:54 »
And just for good measure, here is a shot of the last car that I built.  Its a Factory5, powered by a 4.6SOHC Motor and a 5 speed trans. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of Factory 5 products, but It is far more satisfying to be working on a proper AC and a true aluminum body.  I chose the color after I saw an F250 driving down the road in this color.  I asked him at a stop light if I could get his paint code off of it.  It turned out he had it special ordered in that color as its not standard on the Super Dutys, so he was excited to give it to me.  I have painted 3 vehicles this color and get nothing but compliments on it.  Initially when I got the Aceca I wanted to paint it a close to original color, but I just couldn't resist  [/URL]

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 07:44:57 »
Hello Austin,

Great photos and good to see the rapid progress you've made on AEX542.
   Just one question, has the car lost it's roof gutters at some point or did it never have any fitted?

Regards
   Luke.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 14:04:02 »
Austin,

thank you for the pitures, it is a really nice colour. I have the impression that you made a little bit more progress than I did ...

Is this the work from the "Coulson Group"?

Peter

59 Aceca

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 16:10:12 »
Hi Austin,

Your car is looking fantastic!  I couldn't help but notice the new bright red (polyurethane?) bushings in the steering linkage.  Were those custom cut on a lathe or off the shelf items?  I will soon be in the process of rebuilding my steering and may consider replacing these as well.  Any details you can provide here would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg

AEX542

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 18:40:41 »
To answer your questions in order;

The rain gutters were removed in or around 1971, and I received them in one of the many boxes of parts that came with this build. They were slightly tweaked either from removal or years of sitting around. I've always been a fan of keeping cars as clean looking as possible and alway go emblem less, so I decided not to reinstall them.

This is being done by The Coulson Group, based in Phoenix AZ, that is my shop, you can see our other builds at Facebook at www.Facebook.com/thecoulsongroup

The poly bushings are made by energy suspension,  I an get you the part numbers if you would like, they make the tie rod bushings in two different sizes, and if memory serves these are the smaller ones.

DHAceca

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 20:13:24 »
Hi the car looks great and the colour works so well with the curves on the Aceca. I have just started stripping my project Aceca for a complete restoration so am also interested to know what steering joint rubbers you fitted. I would also find it very useful to see the additional photographs of your build as I am sure I will find it as useful for reference as the bex one on the forum.

AEX542

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 00:09:09 »
Here is a link to the tie rod dust boots.  They make them in red and black. I've used them on every build and haven't had any issues.
   http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9.13101

59 Aceca

• View Profile
History of AEX542
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 06:50:15 »
Austin,

Thanks for the info and the link on the tie rod dust boots.  I, like everyone else who visits this forum, look forward to more photos of your rebuild/restoration when you have the chance.

Greg