Author Topic: Chassis Frame  (Read 17786 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Chassis Frame
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2007, 02:44:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by jbottini

the reason the are expensive is because there a few of them. Keyes called this "supply and demand" pricing

Part of the problem is that Americans think the know everything! After 6 months working at a trade of some sort, they become "experts" when in reality, they know nothing. I have seen it time and time again. It take years to become an expert in a field. In the US most body shops know how to unbolt panels and replace, thats it. If you want the good guys and there are a few around, it will cost you dearly! In the old world, things are different, it take years to learn a skill as an apprentice and eventually you graduate and become an expert. Unfortunately, the pay scale is much lower than in the US. I am not trying to put down the US, I have been here a long time and I know the  culture. [:D]

Emmanuel

markn

• View Profile
Chassis Frame
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2007, 05:13:40 »
That's correct Emmanuel, the pay is much better in the US with old world skills and shops that produce premium restorations for the well heeled can mostly name there price, good on em I think. The demand for perfection with an automobile restoration is very very high and the shops that can achieve it would right off hundreds of hours in losses on every job.
   I'm sure it happens in the US too, where skilled craftsmen have business's and one day they just fold up, I think this happens because the man behind the work isn't a businessman at heart and its only half for the honest "traditional" craftsmen about the money, and more about creating.