Author Topic: AC Mk11 Classic - available March 2014  (Read 89774 times)

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic - available March 2014
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 21:55:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by B.P.Bird
   ..... I wonder if Constant Wagner has any information on these sales ?

No. Nothing reported on these so far.

Constant

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 12:45:27 »
The details on the Mk11 have been removed from the Facebook page.

Spantik

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 16:37:18 »
Pretend it is a Chevy, at least the engine is...

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 12:26:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Spantik

Pretend it is a Chevy, at least the engine is...

Engine's a Ford 306 (5 litre) V8

Spantik

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 08:23:30 »
well, wish you then a successful and short homologation. The AC MkVI has still the CO2 ahead, shall happen in February 2013 with the twin sister to my car, which is currently getting paintwork done.
   Delivery next year, does not make a difference yet with Winter and I do not want to have the delivery truck getting an accident on icy roads...

Chafford

• View Profile

Rob.Hendriks

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 01:19:39 »
The TAC has finally met and passed judgement on the steering, brakes and suspension. In their infinite wisdom they have deemed that the design is satisfactory (strange that), however they now require that I provide all details of the uprights casting process, material specs, the foundry, accreditations and test reports. Also they have decreed that all cast and welded suspension components must be removed, stripped and NDT. Other minor issues were confirmation of brake pipe materials and that the steering column has no welded joints.
   First inspection is scheduled for the middle of March, where no doubt they'll find more to pick holes in

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 19:08:13 »
Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Has AC Heritage been able to help?

Spantik

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 11:57:46 »
It's just a car but seems to become an odyssey. I salute your courage.

As silly question: do you have ultra-light airplanes in NZ. From what I read, I guess not.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 01:18:00 »
Emmanuel, Rob ought to know - he was a highly qualified RNZAF engineer in a former life. If he cannot get through the certification hoops no one will. Incidentally I take it that the Mk. VI is not using the original Ace/Cobra Wilmot Breeden locks ? If they are still being used then they would have some sort of certification wouldn't they ?

Spantik

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 09:40:41 »
Thanks Barrie for the clarification.

Actually this confirm that administration and common sense are living in two different worlds (or universes, perhaps).
   So far I remember, Rob has purchased a Mk II, but newly produced. Anyway the MkVI is also newly produced and will most probably follow the same harduous homologation path, but on German cobbled TÜV regulations.

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 13:05:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Spantik

Thanks Barrie for the clarification.

Actually this confirm that administration and common sense are living in two different worlds (or universes, perhaps).
   So far I remember, Rob has purchased a Mk II, but newly produced. Anyway the MkVI is also newly produced and will most probably follow the same harduous homologation path, but on German cobbled TÜV regulations.

Assuming it ever gets delivered. [;)]

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 13:57:25 »
What a supine bunch we all are around the world - decades of special building without regulation; except that we were responsible for complying with the applicable law - for example 'Construction and Use' in the U.K., but I think there was similar legislation in most jurisdictions. If you broke the law then there were sanctions. Were there ever significant, or indeed any, mechanical failure related accidents under this system ? I never heard of one. However in this age of bureaucracy and interfering do gooders simply mention 'Ealth and Safety' and we seem to act like a Cobra being mesmerised by a Mongoose. Why do we put up with this huge growth industry around the world, employing large numbers of probably quite clever people, to prevent successful innovation ? Transfer them to productive employment and allow us to be individuals responsible for our own actions within the law.
   Getting off the thread I know, but it is a good story: Many years ago the British Army disposed of a number of Ferret scout cars - small four wheel drive armoured reconnaissance vehicles. An acquaintance of mine bought one and stripped off some of the heavier armour and replaced it with lightweight sheetmetal. He then fitted a 6.5 litre Chevrolet V8 in place of a more pedestrian Army issue Daimler straight six. The final modification was a paint job in purple metalflake (it was, in his defence, the early seventies.) Once sorted he proceeded to use The Ferret as his daily commuter in London. You may imagine how much pleasure he gave to hundreds of fellow commuters, every day, as he trundled along amongst cars, taxis and buses. I doubt it would be possible to do this today and we are the poorer for it.
   In exactly the same way small companies like A.C. face an impossible regulatory mountain to climb. The cost of individual approvals makes any sale uneconomic. It is only the few persistent and brave souls like Rob and Emmanuel who have the metal to take on the system. If your total sales of A.C.s might, at most, be measured in hundreds then getting type approvals around the World is impossible to finance on any commercial basis. So having strangled these small innovative companies have we achieved any detectable improvement in road safety ?

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 18:34:44 »
...have we achieved any detectable improvement in road safety?

The answer is unarguably YES. Cars on the road have increased dramatically in number since AC was making them in Thames Ditton. But so has road safety:
  • Road deaths have fallen by 78% since the mid 60s (from 7,985 (1966) to 1,794 (2012))
  • Serious injuries have come down by a similar amount.

•    
       Many of us who can recall the days of horrific industrial and agricultural accidents (three in front of my very eyes, an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy) as well as road carnage are much in favour of most UK 'health and safety' legislation: when examined clause by clause and provision by provision the very great majority of it is sensible.

paho

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 22:14:22 »
    ..it would seem that New Zealand and Switzerland have a system for an individual to obtain type approval of a (new) assembled vehicle, or are the procedures described in this and other threads in addition to the presentation of a CoC?
       I don´t believe its possible to take in a new car into an EC country without a CoC (e.g. EC Small Series Type Approval); this is the case for Sweden. I´m pretty sure TÜV are supporting the national and EC homogulation regulations in the same way that VCA does in UK.

Here, without a CoC you´d have to take the car in in component form (i.e. as a kit), build it yourself and go thro the Swedish equivalent of an IVA approval. This was the path I was considering, but our summer-house building project and the discovery of a Brookland Ace caused a change of direction. /Paho
    "Blessed are those that don't ask for they shall not receive"