Author Topic: Weller Engine Oil  (Read 3121 times)

• View Profile
Weller Engine Oil
« on: September 19, 2013, 19:49:31 »
Robin,

I noted your Vintage, PVT & 2 Litre Forum reply Sept 15 re "Rear Spring Removal" and your direction to the website www.ac2litre.com.

Under the heading at that website, "Site Map", "Maintenance (engine oil/cooling/fuel)" it states "it cannot be stressed too strongly that modern high detergent oils and especially multi grades should not be used in an old design engine....sometimes a catastrophic disaster".

I have been using Penzoil 20/50 for CLBN 2476 for years and so far no "catastropic disaster", touch wood. What do you think?

I only wish I could attend your October 20 Weller Engine seminar and bring up this subject but regrettably I cannot. Hence, here am I on the Forum.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Vancouver

3.5 Pints at the Bar

• View Profile
Weller Engine Oil
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 00:23:30 »
The catastrophic disasters are most likely with an engine that contains plenty of sludge (i.e it hadn't been recently overhauled before changing to high detergent oil). Also engines without full-flow oil filters are at higher risk. I assume that CLBN engines had proper filters from new? The worst disaster I know of this type was when a locomotive engine exploded. Somebody warned the owner months earlier...! Other problems of modern oils may eat away slowly, unnoticed at first. If you hear the small end tapping, then that is usually a bad sign! I hope yours will be okay.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Weller Engine Oil
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 11:28:47 »
Jonathan
   I basically use a 20/50 multi grade as well which is supplied by Miller Oils in the UK they recommend their 'Classic Sport 20w/50 API SJ/CF, one of my customers in Texas needed to know which was best for his newly supplied/conditioned engine so he used this recommendation & found a near equivalent in USA which is 'Hemmings Classic Oil 20/50 SJ which is semi synthetic also, their web site is ' www.hemmings.com '.
   I understand the oil is quite expensive & is shipped to him from the East Coast, I believe good quality oil is essential & well worth investing in, in addition filtration & good flow are essential which is why on my new engine blocks I have a slightly higher rated oil pump, a full flow filter capable of filtering down to 15 microns & I have the pressure relief after the filter, then there are two entry points into the main bearings supplying mains one & two then three, four & five.
   To ensure number four main is not starved my new heads have an independent metered supply direct from the filter, so the vertical oil supply pipe only needs to supply the spray of oil to the cross shaft gear.
   There is good knowledge around the Club & the owners of the Weller engines, as our engines are used also by the Frazer Nash Special owners they use them probably more competitively as well,at the meeting last year about half attendees were  Frazer Nash owners, this means we get a good mix of experience available, sorry it is difficult for some owners to attend but we will do our best to help when needed.

Regards

Robin

3.5 Pints at the Bar

• View Profile
Weller Engine Oil
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 11:43:51 »
Semi synthetics and synthetics are a slightly different matter from conventional multigrades, and *might* be perfectly fine in classic engine designs. The Miller website gives similar information on levels of detergent recommended for old engines depending on their condition and age of design:

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive/classic-engine-oil.asp

Robin's AC engine improvements, for circulation and filtering, look very good indeed.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Weller Engine Oil
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:05:39 »
I think Ian makes a key point regarding sludge. If you dont know the condition of your engine or have not taken the sump off I would stick to a non detergent monograde.
   I switched my Bristol 400 over to Millers classic sport from a monograde. I took the sump off before doing this and there was a lot or sludge.
   I also uprated the oil pump at the same time & cleaned any accessible parts. Its fine now on the millers.
   My vintage cars I run on SAE50 non detergent oil even if I have taken off the sump & cleaned it. They have no oil filters (mesh strainer for large particles) and the detergent oils can mobilse carbon fines layed down over the years that unless filtered will just move around the engine.
   Graham