Author Topic: Colorado Tour  (Read 4255 times)

A-Snake

• View Profile
Colorado Tour
« on: October 04, 2013, 23:54:50 »
The Nor'easter Tour had rain, the Colorado Tour had HARD rain.

[:p]

BBK

• View Profile
Colorado Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 01:43:32 »
Wow!  That must have been cold!

bobbylangley

• View Profile
Colorado Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 20:22:06 »
Hats off to you guys for perseverance. I'd have found somewhere to hide!!

Brendan

• View Profile
Colorado Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 05:31:51 »
There was no hiding available, only, snow, trees, and slush. The 18 Cobra's were just trying to get back to the barn so to speak and avoid any mishaps. We should have stopped and chained up!!

TLegate

• View Profile
Colorado Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 10:54:49 »
I think Jim's definition of HARD rain looks more like snow to me. I guess the wet 2009 Virginia Tour was a primer for the real deal!! Plenty of damp Cobras coming up for sale in the US shortly.....

I was recently told of an owner who lived on the Yorkshire moors, where the weather has been known to be inclement on occasion(!!!) who never, ever raised the top on his AC 289 Sports - when it rained or snowed he just wore the appropriate clothing. But of course they breed 'em tough up there :)

aCMXCVIIIer

• View Profile
Colorado Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 22:18:50 »
Brendan has obviously never attempted to install tire chains on a Cobra!

Brendan

• View Profile
Colorado Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 02:44:55 »
You don't chain up? I chain up when it just gets wet!! Chains work well clacking against the wheel wells and help true up the wire wheels!!

aCMXCVIIIer

• View Profile
Colorado Tour
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 05:50:40 »
So Brendan I take you've found chains that aren't obstructed by the rear brake calipers?  I guess chain design technology has greatly improved since my futile attempt at installing them on my Cobra 4+ decades ago.  At the time the only alternative I could found that cleared them were individual cables that wrapped around the tires and were secured to the wheels between the spokes.  I only used them when I got stuck, usually in some unpaved parking area, then immediately removed them once clear.  The Salisbury POWR-LOK differential worked surprisingly well on icy roads.  After all these years one incident still stands out in my feeble memory.  I was driving in an ice covered parking area up a slight incline.  A woman was driving some unknown brand sedan in the opposite direction and was spinning her wheels and sliding all over the place.  I easily maneuvered around her and got to my desired destination with no loss of traction.  No chains, cables or spikes!

Since then I have been living in sunny California and chains and the like have become a non issue.

aaron

• View Profile
Colorado Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 23:19:08 »
Have you guys ever thought of installing skies instead of chains ?