Author Topic: MKiv ride heights  (Read 4461 times)

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
MKiv ride heights
« on: August 31, 2013, 11:33:08 »
Does anyone know what ride height they have with 16" wheel's and also with 15" wheels. I cant find  a starting point in the chassis book.

I am setting up my suspension on my CRS with  16" wheels and cant decide on an appropriate ride height,which at the moment is being dictated by the shorter springs fitted to my koni's (Set just at onset of  compression). I want to set this before adjusting the corner weights,and finalising the caster & camber.

I have read that 15" wheels increase the ride height but no "dimensions" are quoted.

I will be measuring my ride height this weekend and post up what it actually is on 16" wheels.

Regards,
   Graham

SB7019

• View Profile
MKiv ride heights
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 16:59:38 »
When I switched from 16 to 15 inch wheels the rear ride height remained the same but the front was raised as the 15 inch tyres ( Avons) have a much higher profile.   If you go on to the Longstone website they give all the dimensions of the 15 inch tyres from which you can calculate the radius of the tyre.  In theory the difference between that and the radius of the 16s should equal the change in ride height

French Frie

• View Profile
MKiv ride heights
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 20:28:38 »
FYI, on 15" wheels , fitted with Avons (225/60 front), my ride height at the lip of the wheel arch are : 70.8cm rear / 68 front ( 27.87 / 22.77 inches)
   And it did have increased the ride height, at least at front !

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
MKiv ride heights
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 00:17:11 »
Olivier,
   I get  67cm at the front, and 68cm at the rear. I am on shorter springs.   I think the next check will be to measure from the chassis tubes to the ground as using  the bodywork may not be a super accurate guide.

Graham

French Frie

• View Profile
MKiv ride heights
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 10:18:17 »
I agree, Graham... and was tempted to do so, but My wife was reluctant to wash my trousers afterwards ! i'll try to get that info within the following days [;)] !

Paul Mundy

• View Profile
MKiv ride heights
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 15:38:14 »
Graham,

Last year I was playing with my Superblower`s suspension setup as I had always considered it too low at the rear, at that time I sought Thunder Road`s advice. Upon checking my notes I was advised as a starting point to set the ground clearance from the chassis crossmember to the ground at 4" front and 6" rear.

Regards

Paul

SB7019

• View Profile
MKiv ride heights
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 11:00:40 »
I measured mine which was set up by Thunder Road to suit road rather than track.  The front and rear ground to main crossmember heights are 4 1/2 inch front and 6 1/2 inch rear.   I can now go over most speed bumps without wincing.  A combination of the 15" wheels, Avon tyres and the TR mods and adjustments means the car now rides, steers and handles very significantly better than when it left the factory.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
MKiv ride heights
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 20:09:33 »
I measured up my CRS (16" rims + Kumhos).
   Front -cross member to ground 4"
   Rear -cross member to ground 5 1/4"

I note those who have measured before me have a 2" difference front to rear. I have felt like I needed to jack up the rear end.

I go over speed bumps like this:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bzGxwMm6Qo

Graham

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
MKiv ride heights
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 23:43:39 »
What in heels and a mauve frock?

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
MKiv ride heights
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 18:50:07 »
Only for hill climbing or the NE AC owners Sunday get together at Fennel.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
MKiv ride heights
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 23:46:37 »
Right I will look out for that next Sunday.....