Author Topic: Rim wanted & flat tyre strategy  (Read 3815 times)

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Rim wanted & flat tyre strategy
« on: August 21, 2013, 19:41:13 »
I am looking for a single 16" x7" (Front) rim and Hexagonal nut for my CRS so I can make a spare wheel rather than the inflatable gunk.

Regards,
   Graham

Note I have changed the title to include flat tyre strategy.

SB7015

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 01:40:56 »
Graham,

Did you buy the set of wheels? I have a look because I may have a spare from my set of 16" which were originally on my Superblower. What sort of price are you looking to pay?

Malcolm

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 18:17:37 »
Do you intend to use the rim as it is, or will you be cutting and welding it. A while ago I had thought of having a wheel cut and narrowed and fitted with a motorcycle or narrow car tyre. When I mentioned it to Big Al and Alec at T-R they quickly turned and walked away from me muttering words such as fool and idiot :(
   John.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 21:42:55 »
The idea was to use a front rim  as a spare wheel on space saving & cost grounds but is not so simple as it seems on a Mk iv with different front & rear diameter tyre's and  tyre widths.

The main issue that's been pointed out is the damage that might be caused to the diff running a front tyre of a different diameter  on a rear puncture.(24.88" dia on front and 25.67" dia  on rear)

That leaves the dilemma of just carrying the "emergency gunk" & if so has anyone any experience of whats best out there,or deciding on a front or rear spare -whats it best to carry (Along with gunk)?
   A  welded front & rear space saver is sounding better all the time [:0]
   I have also heard the gunk is not easy to get off after use from the rim--but no hard evidence of this.
   Perhaps the solution a rear spare,as it may also fit the front in an emergency,but no diff damage,despite slightly different diameter.
   Perhaps I will just call the AA.

Graham

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 22:50:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra

Do you intend to use the rim as it is, or will you be cutting and welding it.......

John, such solution had been seen on last year's International at Dunkeld (Scotland)... smart idea [;)]

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 13:49:38 »
Having had two punctures this summer it’s a something that does concern me.

I have been talking with the UK importer of a “gunk” that is permanently added to the tyre and is designed to seal punctures when they happen. I’ve haven’t done it yet for a number of reasons:

•I’ve had people tell me stories or similar stuff settling and making a vehicle impossible to drive (because of wheel balance issues), but the importer assures me this is not the case.

•The “gunk” is used mainly on heavy trucks and construction equipment ie relatively slow moving vehicles. The importer tells me their stuff is used on racing cars.

•My car does not get much usage during winter months and I’m concerned about settlement occurring  due to months of storage.

•Because the sealant is a permanent fix it would be sensible to check the tyres regularly for nails etc.

•I have to provide the F & r tyre dimensions because the volume of sealant has to be calculated for the specific size of tyre.

•I haven’t rushed at over the summer because if it goes wrong it’s going to be a real pain to fix.

I do carry a tin of “gunk” in the car, but it’s not from Halfords etc. I have tried using one in the past and found it useless unless you jack the car up and can re-inflate the tyre. I had a Halford’s can of tyre puncture sealant go off in my modern and it created a very sticky mess.

For the MkIV I bought a tyre inflation pack from BMW, it comes in a neat bag and includes a tin of sealant, a tool to remove the valve, spare valves and an electric air pump. The repair bag should also include a photo of me with my fingers crossed because that’s how it feels.

If I take the plunge and try the permanent “gunk” I’ll post the outcome on the forum.