Author Topic: Literature about 2 Litre Saloon  (Read 12581 times)

Kiwi 2Litre

• View Profile
Literature about 2 Litre Saloon
« on: July 26, 2006, 13:33:12 »
Greetings, I have recently purchased a 1951 2 Litre Saloon (in New Zealand) and am looking for information about them. Also contacts for suppliers of bits. Postings about what to look out for, what problems they give and even how they go would also be a great help. I ordered the book by Leo Archibald through the Practical Classics mag website and it arrived in rural N.Z. in less than a week which I thought was very good service. It will be a great deal of help when it comes to detailing the car but I was hoping someone could tell me about any factory manuals or handbooks or any other books which deal with rebuilding the mechanicals. If anyone has such information for sale or is willing to have photocopies done I will gladly meet all costs. Thanks, Ian.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 11:27:18 »
Dear Kiwi 2Litre
   If you go on my web site to the links you will find a perfect web site for the 2 litre, also if you go to the Q & A's you will find a very good write up on the Weller engine.
    'www.ac-engine.com'

Regards

Robin

Mike Berrisford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 10:18:44 »
Dear kiwi owner,
   I have owned 2 litre saloons since 1982 and have totally rebuild 2 including the ash frame on a 4 door saloon.It is an expensive hobby and you will not get your money back. However ,I love em!
   If I can help in any way I will .
   Regards,Mike

Kiwi 2Litre

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 12:10:56 »
Thanks for that. Since first posting I have managed to find an original manual and two more incomplete cars. There is a complete car in an auto museum but it is a bit far away to go off and check things every weekend! Most things are progressing well, the woodwork was done before I got it so it is mostly just mechanicals. I have found all the websites with 2Litre stories interesting and will post again if I get stuck. Cheers, Ian.

AC-Crankcase

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 13:42:18 »
Hi Kiwi 2Litre,

Is there any chance you could send me the details of the cars you have found, e.g Chassis No, Engine No, Body No??

Also any chance of a picture of each as I am compiling an electronic register of the cars including pictures.

Thanks in advance,
   Tom Dine - Saloon Registrar

Kiwi 2Litre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 12:50:13 »
My car is Chassis EL1519 which was originally fitted with Engine No UMB1522. I do not have that engine but know its whereabouts. I have parts of engine No UMB1736. In Southwards Motor Museum is a complete car Chassis No EL1598 with Engine No UMB1602. I know of another owner who has a complete and running saloon and an imcomplete drophead. I will post those numbers when I go to look at the cars but that will not be for some months. I have heard of two other cars that are in this country, one was possibly EL1034/UMB1036. I have a spare chassis but have yet to find a number on it. Will let you know anything else that comes to hand. Regards, Ian

AC-Crankcase

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 18:53:03 »
Thanks Ian,

The chassis number is stamped on the cross member that holds the front engine mountings.  You will find it just in front of the steering box.

All the best,
   Tom

Kiwi 2Litre

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 11:52:41 »
The spare chassis I have is EL1592. This car has been completely dismantled for spare parts and the body scrapped. I know the whereabouts of the engine and will try and establish the number of it. Regards, Ian.