Author Topic: Webers  (Read 3504 times)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Webers
« on: July 03, 2013, 15:31:04 »
Does anyone have any knowledge of an intake manifold to mount DCOE 40's on an AC engine?

Gus

3.8Jaguar

• View Profile
Webers
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 19:01:19 »
Many conversions have been made regarding carburation on the Weller engine over the years, ranging from various SU set ups, Webbers, Amal and even reverse flow! Reverse flow has been tried so that you are breathing through the individual exhaust ports and exhausting through the Siamese inlet's, a Good theory but requires extensive reworking of the valve seats, a redesigned cam etc etc.

Fitting Webbers is fine but the results you get may not be what you expect. I feel that you may gain great top end but may suffer at the bottom to mid range with out putting the work in elsewhere .

www.bristolengineering.co.uk

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Webers
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 22:15:44 »
I'm not sure that I would agree with that notion. I have DCOE's on a 260 engine and on a Kent Crossflow and don't have that experience. I find the webers tune well and rather easily. They are not just a carb for wide open top end power. It's no big deal. The engine is running very happily on the Su's. I was just curious to see if someone had gone through the trouble of making a manifold. Thanks for the reply.

Gus

French Frie

• View Profile
Webers
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 22:37:52 »
Used to have Webers as well, on xFlows and Flat four, and came to the same conclusion ... Easily tuneable, plenty of power, reliable ...

PS: Gus, I sent an email to you... Did you get it ?

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Webers
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 23:18:39 »
You could always invest in a six inlet port head which would suit Webbers very well!
   Robin

3.8Jaguar

• View Profile
Webers
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 13:45:39 »
Yes Webers are easy to tune and are a great carburettor and are very well suited to many engines. I am just pointing out that on relatively low RPM long stroke engines with quite low gas velocity and Siamese ports, could, I stress could give poor mixture control at low rpm.
   I agree with Robin a six port head would be far better suited for the use of Webers.
   As far as I am aware no one has made  Weber manifolds for the AC though this could be easily achieved by fabrication or to do the job properly have patterns made and cast some up though this can be expensive.

My feeling is that the inlet tract should be made relatively long, it is worth a trial, if you wish we could fabricate some manifolds for trying out.

www.bristolengineering.co.uk