Author Topic: Location of ECU diagnostic plug  (Read 6037 times)

Max Allan

• View Profile
Location of ECU diagnostic plug
« on: June 27, 2013, 00:18:54 »
Does anyone know if the ECU service/diagnostic plug is readily accessible from the engine compartment or is it stowed with the ECU behind the heater/air con box. If the former, what sort of plug am I looking for?

Nev

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 21:32:42 »
The one for the ABS ECU is on th e passenger side, under the bonnet, tucked behind the box that is covered in silver insulation, sorry no photos to hand just now, there is  a big plug and a smaller one, which plug into the diagnostic unit, I picked one of these up from the States for about 40 GBP.

Max Allan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 10:03:30 »
Thanks for info Nev. Sorry, I should have made it clearer – I’m looking for location of engine ecu service plug. Having said that my ABS doesn’t work properly, so interested you sourced a diagnostic box of tricks in States, although puzzled it came from USA. I thought system was Ford UK designed and fitted on Granada? Can you remember where you got the unit and was the it effective in revealing cause of malfunction(s)?

Nev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 20:34:44 »
Hi Max, I shall message you with the info, once I have dug it it from the file/garage.

Max Allan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 00:16:45 »
Thanks Nev

Wally

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 00:47:45 »
Hi Max, If your ABS system is the one I think it is, it will be the same as one from around an M reg Ford Granada 2.9 24v which is a Teves Mk11 (as in two not eleven). This was fitted on some 24v and TD Scorpio's where as other models had a servo this system is the type without a servo, it has a ball type sphere next to the fluid reservoir and somewhere it will have 3 relays, 1 for abs system itself and 2 for the abs pump and several fuses not just one.

On the ones I have seen, there will be a small triangular socket next to the brake fluid reservoir for diagnostics and I would think most independent garages that could diagnose a Granada ABS will be able to plug into this system although the self diagnostic facility will be very basic.

Sorry I can't help with the engine diagnostics.

Wally

Wally

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 10:19:01 »
Blue Point or Crypton made a tool such as this one on E-Bay, Item No 251297281397 . They made a 100, 200 and 300, I am almost sure that the 200 covers Teves ABS. You should be able to confirm with the seller as the manuals included will list the applications.

Wally

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 10:31:06 »
Max.

I presume your engine is a 302 - in which case it should have an Onboard Diagnostics (OBD1) connector.  This should be the same as the one fitted to my Superblower.  Will e mail a picture of this to you so you will be able to recognise it.

Nev

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 12:49:13 »
SB7019, yes it is the 302, I have the same, so would be interested to see the photo, for future reference.

Max Allan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 21:04:17 »
Thanks for the info Wally, but I'm confused by the words "self diagnostic facility will be very basic". Are you referring to the Blue Point diagnostic kit advertised on ebay will give only basic info?

SB7019 - a pic of OBD1 plug would be very helpful. Don't fancy the alternative ie removing the heater box to gain access to ecu [V]

Wally

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 23:37:49 »
Hi Max, The Teves self diagnostic system is very basic and the Blue Point scanner is also very basic (all were 20 years ago)and they will only read what the Teves system can give it. It should show all four wheel sensor operation and if pump pressure is low etc.

Wally