Author Topic: Exhaust manifold  (Read 14067 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 05:31:22 »
I have been looking for mine and can't seem to locate them, there is another place where they may be. My mechanic told me years ago that there were truck manifold. No matter what, you would better off with a nice set of custom headers. An instant 50HP.
   Welding cast iron manifolds is a bad idea, it will never hold, not with this type of heat and vibrations. These are standard cheap Ford manifolds, I will let you know tomorrow.

Emmanuel[:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 03:35:46 »
Still have not found it yet but I have more info, From the numbering scheme it does not look like a Ford part. Let see when I locate mine, like I said yesterday it could be a truck part or an industrial one since these motors found the ways in many applications. What I find odd is that most of  the stock FE Manifolds had one side going back almost horizontal. Maybe to clear a Steering box.

J Jones

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 04:25:35 »
Emmanuel and I met up today, and he will (probably) post some photos of my tube headers for your edification. He had a similar set-up for his car, but now he thinks he may have a better solution (O JOY) !  We looked at "427 shorty" cast Iron headers (very rare AND expensive), but if he's correct, it would look "stock" and "period correct"  for those who are fussed about such things.
   My car runs great, and the heat issue is mostly a thing of the past, partly due to these ceramic-coated headers. i'm satisfied... for now...
   Paul - To answer a question you posed a long time ago on 'Frua restoration part 2' - yes; I do now have a subtile (and removeable) front spoiler. I followed Emmanuel's lead, it's virtually invisible and works very well.

shep

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 18:40:34 »
I agree with all the advice. Welding is almost bound to fail, and the manifolds are awful, so why go to all the effort. A pair of tubular manifolds will sound better, release more power, and allow the engine to run cooler. It's a no brainer for a road car. If a place in a musemum or a concours winner is the object of the exercise, a US scrap yard may be the best alternative.

cliffordl

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 14:14:50 »
So other than David's man in Norfolk (bit far away for me)who else comes recommended to build shorty headers in the South-East?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 15:24:49 »
http://www.dreamershotrods.com/SandersonFF427FordFEBlockHeaders.aspx

Hi any large online part store like Jegs. Get the Ford 100 truck headers. One side gets shortened and the other has to be changed a bit more.
   Get the raw steel ones and then they can be ceramic coated after.

There is another option you might favor:

http://www.headersbyed.com/__ford.htm

or

http://www.stainlessheaders.com/engineheaderflanges

You can buy the exhaust flange and collector separately and have a shop make you the header. Probably the best way.You may want to give a call to QuickSilver Exhaust in London, I have dealt with them in the past, pretty good company. Good luck!

J Jones

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 04:14:57 »
Reviving this old topic, Emmanuel and myself are planning to have new headers fabricated by Mike McCluskey's shop.
   Anyone interested?

cliffordl

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 15:47:49 »
Yup, do let me know the cost.

siegfried

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 14:01:15 »
Hi i am interested ,do also let me know the cost.
   rgds Siegfried

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 21:03:04 »
Here are the photos, These will be stainless steel of try Y configuration which is a big step up compared to the shorty headers we made before. The design is based on some 60's racing Cobras. It is very similar to 60's Corvettes racing exhaust or even the exhausts found on 60's Ferraris.

This is for the mark III, the one above (Right Side) almost fits the Frua, the one at the bottom (left Side) will have to be staggered like the right side.

This is the way it looks on my car. we will adjust the angle to give more clearance. Cost will be reasonable. Jeffrey and I both will get a set, and then we will have a pattern for those who want a set. Long headers make a huge difference in both power and torque compared to shorties. I will ceramic coat mine inside out to reduce heat as much as possible.

Of course, the original manifolds which were  lifted from a ford pick up truck completely restrict the engine.