Author Topic: Exhaust manifold  (Read 14167 times)

cliffordl

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« on: June 19, 2013, 17:11:29 »
One of the manifolds has cracked on the Frua and needs cast iron welding. Can anyone recommend someone in the south east who can do it?

The boys at Thunder Road no longer have a contact as their previous welder has now retired. They tell me that the original is an American Ford part but do not know which model it comes from. Attempts to fabricate tubular manifolds have been tricky due to the lack of space available.

Any thoughts on this?

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 17:51:23 »
I am not a welding expert but I remember that I heard that cast iron can be welded with laser welder. Not cheap.

Maybe this is a starting point for search: http://www.twi.co.uk/technical-knowledge/faqs/process-faqs/faq-what-other-processes-are-available-for-welding-cast-iron/

david langford

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 18:32:39 »
Hi Clifford
              I met up with the guy who is doing the work on my engine at a place where they fabricate stainless steel manifolds and asked about getting them made up for mine. He seemed confident about doing it but it was going to cost around £1000. With all the expense of the engine that'll have to wait til the winter. Don't know how far south you are but this place is just outside Norwich.
              As a temporary fix on my manifold I used Chemical Metal, made by Plastic Padding. Worked really well and may be worth a try.

J Jones

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:49:26 »
Clifford - here's an online tool that might answer your question concerning the origin of your exhaust manifolds.
   I removed mine and replaced them with fabricated stainless ceramic-coated ones. My intention was to send as much engine heat out the tailpipe as possible. The cast iron originals don't breathe as well, and are a heat-sink, keeping engine bay temperatures high. I'm saving my originals to accompany my car whenever it goes to a new home.
   If you've removed your cracked manifold, find the casting number - you might find it identified here:
   http://mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html
   Once identified, it would be MUCH cheaper to track down a used (or unused "new") part in the USA and have it shipped.
   Good luck!
   Jeff

cliffordl

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 18:01:13 »
Thanks for the feedback. The General Forum have come up with a consensus of opinion regarding who to go to for the welding - my problem there is that the manifold will almost certainly crack up more when removed and the studs shear in the block - then the car will block up the workshop until when and if the repair is made...not popular with the Garage.

So I guess I'll try the chemical metal for now and pursue the original part route and investigate new replacement at the same time.

Has anyone got access to an uninstalled manifold to get the part number? The part is said to come from only the station wagon version of a particular Ford model.

J.Jones - who fabricated your manifold? Short heads have been suggested but it's said that one of the pipes has to be made removable in order to allow access to other parts/go around the steering column?

David can you send me a link to your man in Norwich?

Thanks again

Cliff

J Jones

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 21:16:04 »
Clifford - Yes, they did use short headers, and modifications were needed to get them to fit in the space available. Dennis Cann (Lynn Park's mechanic) arranged the fitting with a muffler shop he used - but Dennis has retired and is unavailable.
   I'll try to get to my storage sometime soon (it's not close) and find my originals. Unfortunately, I did not take photos of them, and don't have the casting numbers.
   Not much help yet, but I'll try to give you better information soon. Emmanuel might know - his engine is out of the car
   Jeff

ak1234

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 03:40:48 »
Cliffordl ,

if you dont mind .. post a few pictures on the manifold ... next depending on where the crack is cast iron can be mig welded with stainless steel wire with Co2, argon / helium mix ... and preheat and slow cool. ... and as I  said depending on where the crack is ... we sometimes drill the ends so the heat dont extend the crack ... it also is a slow process as not to over heat.

Is this manifold for an FE Ford Motor

Ron

Jam2

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 08:00:46 »
If you would like a further suggestion for custom made manifolds, try

Dave Tyler t/as Len Hartley Developments, Unit 2, Wootton Fields Farm, Marlborough Road, Wootton Bassett, Swindon, Wilts. SN4 7SA
   01793 849430

No web site, and you might have to try the phone a few times before getting a reply, Dave is very skilled and helpful.

david langford

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 09:56:46 »
Hi Cliff
           I will be speaking to the guy who is doing the engine next week to get a date for fitting new heads etc and I'll get the info from him and let you know. There was a delay in getting the heads but if that's sorted they should be being changed in the next 4/5 weeks so if you can wait that long I can get the part no. for the manifolds then.

cliffordl

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 15:30:27 »
Got the camera out and came up with one part number on the underside of the manifold.

Cracks showing here

and here with an old weld showing.

Part number looks like B67237 which is as far as I can tell is not a Ford code.

cliffordl

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 15:40:22 »
Another view of the crack through the main body

and one of the whole manifold - the cracks are at the right end. Top mount hole looks almost broken away and then a long crack runs down through the body.

Can't see any other numbers - the opposite side has a similar short number (maybe other numbers are on the inside - seems odd though)

J Jones

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 19:11:05 »
Left and right side manifolds have different but similar numbers. I'm hoping to be able to access my parts this week, but check this link. Anything look familiar?
   The letter "B" would indicate a part from the 1950's. In the 1960's, the letter would be "C", according to the Mustangtek 'decoding Ford Casting numbers" link above.
   Ford FE engine blocks made their debut in 1958, so the manifold might very well have come from an early iteration.
   Unfortunately, Ford were apparently inconsistant (according to FE forums I've visited) in their casting numbering system. The number you found does not conform to the code as understood presently. Maddening!

http://www.fordfe.info/ExhaustManifolds/FactoryEx/indexExhaust.html

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ford-fe-exhaust-manifold

J Jones

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 02:33:29 »
Clifford - I managed to get to my storage, and took photos of my manifolds. The clearest number was B67207
   I googled "B67207" "FE" engine exhaust, and found this thread discussing the part

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1191946603/1192167381/Identifying+stock+exhaust+manifolds+-+possible+upgrade

Interestingly, this thread was started by a fellow in the UK, and his car was a UK-built custom. So... Is it possible the non-standard casting number might be due to it's being a UK manufactured part? Seems unlikely, but not entirely impossible.
   The moderator of the thread was/is Bob Sprowl, and the link to his FordFE site is above, in my previous contribution. He might know...

It certainly seems to be the opinion of the participants in this 2006 FE thread that the manifold is FAR, FAR Faaarrrrr.... from being a "performance" part.

Sorry to be of little help. I vaguely recall Mike McClusky saying he thought these were used in "Country Squire" Estate wagons. I think that may have been a bit of dry humor on his part. Some were used on "original" Cobras - the 428's - that were subsequently re-engined by Shelby or modified by early owners. They are (apparently) one of several variations of "standard FE" 8 bolt, center dump items.

I'll ask around. It's a slim possibility there might be a pile of them in a corner somewhere. Good to know for the ACOC Frua parts list.

Dorman have a 'made in China" replacement that might work, sold by Summit racing. Otherwise, it's Ebay, junkyards or (best case, already discussed) modified "shorty" tubular headers.

cliffordl

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 15:41:06 »
Thanks for that. i had also heard that these were possibly Galaxie Station Wagon so the 'Country Squire' bit seems about right.

Looks like new headers might be the way to go...

david langford

• View Profile
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 17:14:41 »
Spoke to the engine guy today and the custom exhaust place is Power and Performance.co.uk and the chap is called Matk Stacey. They also have a contact who can weld the manifolds. The phone no. is 01603 880060 in case you can't find the website.
                Dave