Author Topic: Rocker cover breather  (Read 7861 times)

DHAceca

• View Profile
Rocker cover breather
« on: June 18, 2013, 23:30:42 »
I am currently working on restoring my Aceca with AC engine and have seen a couple of engine bay images on the internet showing a breather tube and tank fitted to the forward round vent on the top of the rocker cover. Is this a recognised mod for these engines? Or a solution for a problem with the engine building too much pressure and the fumes getting into the cockpit? My engine also seems to build a bit of pressure so want to understand if this is normal and then I will carry out the same mod. If it is not normal I will start looking for a problem with the engine causing the pressure.

• View Profile
Rocker cover breather
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 17:37:36 »
This post is a good example of why we should simplify the method of posting photos on the Forum, the result being greater response to Forum enquiries.

I have tried valiantly over the years to do so but it is still far too complicated for me and I think many others. In this particular post, I have emailed DHAceca and suggested he send me his email address  at which point I would be delighted to forward him a couple of photos.

I think I am correct, but I recollect ACOC requested coments at time of this years renewal of membership for improvements and suggestions. Accordingly, I requested a photo posting simplification but have seen nothing so far re this issue.

Sincerely

Jonathan Parker

nikbj68

• View Profile
Rocker cover breather
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 19:15:37 »
Here, on behalf of Jonathan, are some photos of his AC engine, firstly, without the breather:

Then from either side, with the breather fitted. Great looking engine bay!

Regarding posting photos within the forum itself, I believe this would require migration to a new forum model, and increased costs to the ACOC for the additional bandwidth that hosting would require, but until such time as anything changes, I`m more than happy to help anyone get their photos displayed as above.
   Nik.

DHAceca

• View Profile
Rocker cover breather
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 10:14:31 »
Thank you for the reply Jonathan received pictures via email also thanks Nik for putting them on the forum.
   Based on this I take it that the engines do normally breath a bit via the cam/rocker cover and a modification is good idea to keep engine bays clean and prevent fumes etc.?

Classicus

• View Profile
Rocker cover breather
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 19:33:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68
Regarding posting photos within the forum itself, I believe this would require migration to a new forum model, and increased costs to the ACOC for the additional bandwidth that hosting would require, but until such time as anything changes, I`m more than happy to help anyone get their photos displayed as above.
   Nik.

Just a thought but there's always Activeboard by Sparklit, the one the club uses on the AC 428 Register & Archive which is a forum anyway....

Hope this helps ?

http://www.activeboard.com/?

http://acfrua428.activeboard.com/

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Rocker cover breather
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 02:31:15 »
Changing the forum format and having greater ease of posting would be VERY welcome and likely encourage more use.

The facebook format of "liking" comments and easily tagging onto a discussion or posting photos is definitely nice!

Gus

AE413

• View Profile
Rocker cover breather
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 22:09:03 »
I do not know about the need for a breather on the rocker cover for the road, but is not a breather and catch tank mandatory for competition? AE413 has a breather from the blanking plate on the crank case where the dynamo fitted on earlier cars.

John D

• View Profile
Rocker cover breather
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 22:34:54 »
John,

I have a short L shaped breather directed downwards on my dynamo blanking plate as well but the cam cover breather takes care the fume excess from the top end, which is pretty minimal.

It helps to keep the engine bay dry, especially the wiring.

Jonathan Parker

AEX 1194

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rocker cover breather
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 19:41:30 »
Re posting photos, we looked into this a while ago and costs would be considerable:  it's not just migrating to new Forum software, it would also involve paying our hosts for photo storage, whereas individuals' Photobucket accounts are free.

I have seen the breather arrangement on a number of cars, and think it originated as a way of fitting a catch tank for competition use.

Bryan