Author Topic: Aceca Steering box or rack  (Read 6514 times)

Dew

• View Profile
Aceca Steering box or rack
« on: June 17, 2013, 16:49:03 »
I have a Greyhound which has rack and pinion steering and is great to drive, I also have an Aceca with a steering box and I am finding it much more difficult it's quite heavy and not nearly so positive, my question is should I have it converted to rack and pinion? and will this reduce the value of the car?

Laurence Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 20:16:28 »
The general rule of thumb is that if you modify the car it won't lose value, as long as the modifications are of a bolt-on/bolt-off nature, and that the original parts are kept as part of the car's originality. Modifications that involve cutting and welding are best not attempted if you want to keep the car original and its value intact. I hope this helps a bit.

Laurence Kent

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:46:30 »
Also, if you intend to compete with your car, it may put you 'out of regs', but that said, many Ace/Aceca owners talk very highly of Ben Yates` R&P conversion, search this forum for examples.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:01:02 »
I am in the process to use Ben's conversion kit and I can really recommend it. Look here http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1809&whichpage=5 for more information (starts in the middle of the page).

MATT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 13:31:56 »
I have just had the conversion done using a Ben Yates kit and it is a noticeable improvement

Dew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 14:46:27 »
Many thank's for all the help I shall go with the Ben Yates R&P conversion, does anyone have contact details where I can buy the kit?

Thank you once again.

59 Aceca

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 15:14:13 »
It sounds like you have made your decision but for others wanting a less invasive approach there is a modified top plate to the existing steering box available from Revington TR that sounds promising.  It was mentioned in the club newsletter some time ago.  Perhaps someone with this modification will comment.

http://www.revingtontr.com/shop/product_display.asp?mscssid=79PDJ41DFQPV9PAKTUPLSEFWUG8608X9&ProductID=RTR3075LK

Greg

3.8Jaguar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 19:14:34 »
There are many different approaches to fitting steering racks to ACE and ACECA. Most of which are too long and do not give good geometry resulting in bump steer etc.

Anything where point of pivot to the end of the  drag links that are shorter than the radius of the wishbone will give potential problems.

We fit a re-engineered period rack that will give the correct length drag links and correct Ball joints.

www.bristolengineering.co.uk

Adybowen

• View Profile
Re: Aceca Steering box or rack
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 20:06:58 »
What's happened?! Can t contact anybody about steering racks ?!!