Author Topic: C&SC Greyhound article  (Read 3534 times)

johngoose

• View Profile
C&SC Greyhound article
« on: April 11, 2013, 21:01:10 »
Just in case you missed it !
   The April Classic and Sports Car magazine has an article by Martin Buckley comparing a Greyhound with the Bristol 406 Zagato, on the basis that as the cars have a similar engine they are comparable. Predictably, from what we know of Martin's opinion of Greyhounds he preferred the Bristol - more space and comfort.
   Whilst Martin is of course entitled to his opinion we believe that apart from both cars having a Bristol engine they are quite different kettles of fish and the Editor says he will print our comments on the article in the May or June number.
   You may still be able to find an April copy on the shelves.
   John

nikbj68

• View Profile
C&SC Greyhound article
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:30:28 »
I have to say it was a pretty rotten read...literally not one good word for the Greyhound, and that was after he suggested his opinion had improved over time!!!

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
C&SC Greyhound article
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 09:32:30 »
   Nik.

No surprise there.!!

Martin Buckley could never pen a decent article and has nil or very little taste in Automobile's.

Give him a big barge or something from British Leyland and he is in his element.

Been a reader of Classic and Sports Car since day one, for the past umpteen years, I dont even scan let alone read his page or feature.

Some have a open mind and Taste, unfortunately Martin B was queing up for a hearing aid when God called out Brains...[B)]

Seriously, The AC Greyhound has always been underrated and undervalued....But enjoyed by those lucky enough to own one. ! ....[;)]

Keith..[:)]

3.5 Pints at the Bar

• View Profile
C&SC Greyhound article
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 22:15:16 »
Evidently that magazine has not improved since I stopped reading it in 1993! But a few journalists like to "trash" things, as it makes them appear expert (at least to a few). I've long been a great admirer of the Greyhound's design. Fundamentally very sound, and I would guess has plenty of potential to be tweaked into a really great car. I'm not an owner (yet), so I'm guessing. The price of Bristols when new means that they were not direct competitors for ACs.

nikbj68

• View Profile
C&SC Greyhound article
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 00:38:12 »
John, thank you for your response to the above article(Which they titled "Not Such A 'Hound"), published in the July issue of C&SC. I drafted a couple of retorts, but none were quite as gentlemanly as yours!
   It would be nice to see Octane get hold of a Greyhound and do a feature without agenda or bias that we can really enjoy.

johngoose

• View Profile
C&SC Greyhound article
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 11:44:14 »
Nik
   I was a bit surprised to see the letter published, pretty well as submitted except the original heading was " Greyhound vs Bristol Zagato or Chalk vs Cheese " rather than
   " Not such a Hound " - maybe Mr Buckley didn't want to accept that the cars are not really comparable.
   And yes,  3 1/2 at the bar, the car did have lots of potential. It's a shame it was in production for such a short time, before Mr Shelby arrived on the scene. A Greyhound with a V8, 3.1 : 1 final drive and a soft top is wonderful touring car - just what the factory would have done !
   John

johngoose

• View Profile
C&SC Greyhound article
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 11:45:40 »
Nik
   I was a bit surprised to see the letter published, pretty well as submitted except the original heading was " Greyhound vs Bristol Zagato or Chalk vs Cheese " rather than
   " Not such a Hound " - maybe Mr Buckley didn't want to accept that the cars are not really comparable.
   And yes,  3 1/2 at the bar, the car did have lots of potential. It's a shame it was in production for such a short time, before Mr Shelby arrived on the scene. A Greyhound with a V8, 3.1 : 1 final drive and a soft top is wonderful touring car - just what the factory would have done !
   John