Author Topic: Firewall bushing  (Read 9367 times)

French Frie

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 13:24:32 »
Hi Graham,

did the same, and I've tightened it as much as I can, to prevent any move in the adjustable system, which is useless on a Cobra anyway ! even at its highest setting, it is still too low (and lower than other Cobras)! the best would be to throw it away ...

westcott

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 15:49:35 »
Turning item 4 around the tube 180 degrees would give 1 tube diameter height in addition....if needed and the column cover modified.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

French Frie

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 18:46:52 »
Great tip, Uwe ! By the way, the bushing won't fit [:(] ... The column is actually triangular, but is modified BEFORE the firewall to become round (not like the Ford one) and have a splined end ! So the bushing has to be round and 3/4 of ID ...

French Frie

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 20:16:25 »
Update... As the Ford bushings didn't fit, I decided to make it on my own. Here's the column:

You can see the triangular shaft, and the splined end which was obviously welded by AC ... The diameter is not  3/4" (like MGB), but  only 14mm (9/16")!

Here is the plate that supports the bushing :

So, I took a piece of nylon, and made a bushing ..' But unfortunately, I don't have a lathe, so have to be creative [;)] ! The requested diameter is 22mm (OD) and 14mm (ID)

The inner hole is enlarged :

And bushing is fitted to the plate :

To be continued ...

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 08:38:12 »
Olivier,

if you fix your drilling machine in a bench vice it's nearly a lathe [:)] Nice work.

Is the welded UJ still ok? My has some clearance and since it is welded it is not easy to replace. A work for next winter.

Regards,

Peter

French Frie

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 11:03:39 »
Hi Peter,

I have no play in the U-joint... But I plan to replace it anyway, as well as the second one, by a Flaming River combo with an intermediary D-shaped shaft, and a firewall bearing ! But as you say, it will be a winter project... within a MKIII dashboard conversion [;)] !
   But before, I need to drive, now the summer seems to be here, hence this fixing ...

French Frie

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 14:03:53 »
Ok, the re-assembly is a bit more complicated than expected [:o)] !

In fact, when I wanted to insert the steering shaft in the firewall bushing, the column has retracted ! The triangular shaft is just inserted in the column housing, and slides !

So I had to remove the column :

Here is the shaft with its triangular bushings :

And the 9/16" welded end  :

And the column housing with its pressed triangular section to fit the shaft :

And for the record, the worn bushing:

French Frie

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 15:48:59 »
Ok, everything is reassembled... And it works great ! But I really do not like this (useless) adjustable  system ! Anyway, as said, i'll shortly throw all that mess away [;)] !

jbottini

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 12:56:42 »
FF, I had contemplated a switch to a VW system, not for nostalgia, but to get more space into cockpit fof my 6'1"  a d at time 250# former, the larger wheel would give better ratios for low peed steering as well. The question...are you enjoying the "red head"?

French Frie

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 14:09:41 »
undoubtedly [;)] !  we've now passed the 4.000 miles together, and we're still in love... that's why I want her to keep evoluate, and invest on her ! VW switch is already mine, with other parts, and an alloy MKIII street dashboard from Nick Acton (http://actoncobra.com/)is on its way to do it ...

By the way, I'll let ACOC members know, but Nick's job looks perfect, with a lot of quality parts for original cobras, and for the dashboard(I asked him flat ends to match the MKIV), he seems a lot less expensive than european solutions...

jbottini

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 00:52:24 »
FF,
   Treat her nice or she'll tell! I miss driving her!
   Jim

jbottini

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 22:47:49 »
F.F.,
   I assume you re using the front fold down ate end listen cue bracket that was with the car?
   Jim

French Frie

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 22:51:13 »
Jim, sorry, but either some letters are missing, or my english skill is too low to understand ... Could you rephrase , please ?