Author Topic: Firewall bushing  (Read 9338 times)

French Frie

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« on: June 10, 2013, 21:49:14 »
Back from the "Cobra Days"!  More than 1.000 miles, where AK1113 didn't miss a beat, on twisted roads in the center of France... Unfortunately, we had a lot of rain, but Avons are imperial on wet roads !

I only had one issue : on the very first day, on highway, I suddenly felt a lot of vertical play in the steering wheel ! It appeared that half of the firewall bushing was missing so the upper column part was only hold by the upper adjustable bolt!

I wanted to know it this bushing is originally in two parts or if it was a one-piece item, that was broken on mine ? What is the part number of it, and can it be replaced by another upgraded rose joint ?

Thanks !

Olivier

jbottini

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 00:59:11 »
FF, you are on your own on this, sounds like some part separated in rain?
   Jim

French Frie

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:04:18 »
Yep...  But maybe Peter can respond, as he rebuilt his steering column...

Some pictures of the journey:

Beautiful landscapes

Wet and with some snow when going up:

But also some sunny moments :

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:26:46 »
hello Olivier,
   What region have you been to?
   On 30/5 crossed the border to Spain via the Pourtalet pass, having encountered heavy rain and snow on the way up from Lourdes.
   Been to the Spanish trip organized by the ACOC. 4067 happy kms in the MkIV through France and Spain! Bloody good cars they built.

French Frie

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 11:53:23 »
Hi Constant,

It was in the Massif Central (corrèze to be precise), in the very center of France ... Lonely areas, few cars on the road, and good food [;)] !

I agree regarding the bloody good cars ! I was planning to upgrade the engine (big heads, big headers, and back to carb), but my car runs so well (some friends can't believe it's only 225hp powered, whereas their fake snake are supposed to be twice more powered - but the pilot counts [:o)] !) that i'm afraid to trouble this perfect balance, and to make it less reliable ...

French Frie

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 11:55:56 »
By the way, it would be great to settle a MKIV meeting, maybe somewhere in the east or north of France, to gather the continental MKIV ... Brits would be welcome, of course [;)]!

French Frie

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 11:56:58 »
Oops ... Great idea, but not enough to be said twice [}:)] !

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 12:26:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by French Frie

Back from the "Cobra Days"!  More than 1.000 miles, where AK1113 didn't miss a beat, on twisted roads in the center of France... Unfortunately, we had a lot of rain, but Avons are imperial on wet roads !

I only had one issue : on the very first day, on highway, I suddenly felt a lot of vertical play in the steering wheel ! It appeared that half of the firewall bushing was missing so the upper column part was only hold by the upper adjustable bolt!

I wanted to know it this bushing is originally in two parts or if it was a one-piece item, that was broken on mine ? What is the part number of it, and can it be replaced by another upgraded rose joint ?

Thanks !

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

are we talking about this plastic bush leading the upper steering column through the metal part of the fire wall? I haven't changed this during my restauration. As far as I can remember it is one pice. I don't know what part number it has, but it is a quite simple part. Just make it yourself on a lathe from some PU round stock or even better use nylon.

Regards,

Peter

jbottini

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 13:51:30 »
FF, the 15 inch w/t look very good. Jim

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 17:39:49 »
quote:

Hi Constant,

It was in the Massif Central (corrèze to be precise), in the very center of France ... Lonely areas, few cars on the road, and good food [;)] !

oh shame we missed each other! That is exactly where I passed on my way down to Spain:
   - Clermont Ferrand/ Puy de Dôme (no longer accessible by car[:(]
   - Orcival
   - Rocamadour
   - Tour de Faure / St. Cirq Lapopie
   then down to Lourdes and into the Pyrenées

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 17:47:41 »
quote:

Hi Constant,

......... I agree regarding the bloody good cars ! I was planning to upgrade the engine (big heads, big headers, and back to carb), but my car runs so well (some friends can't believe it's only 225hp powered, whereas their fake snake are supposed to be twice more powered - but the pilot counts [:o)] !) that i'm afraid to trouble this perfect balance, and to make it less reliable ...

Indeed Olivier, this is the same reason why I have also refrained from upgrading my mount to more power. The original set-up is so reliable. I travelled over 5000 kms more or less in one go each year since I own this car (2002) and took it to race tracks to test it under more pressure! As long as it works the way it does, not missing a single beat, I will not touch that engine.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 18:07:40 »
quote:

By the way, it would be great to settle a MKIV meeting, maybe somewhere in the east or north of France, to gather the continental MKIV ... Brits would be welcome, of course [;)]!

In 2005 I had organized an International in Luxembourg (open of course to all ACs). 36 cars had joined in. We had a lot of fun, good food and good driving. Will do it again some day.

French Frie

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 09:03:31 »
hello folks,

I ordered a bushings kit for a Granada MKIII :

it should replace the parts in the red circle :

I'll let you know if it solves the problem...

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 09:23:46 »
Ah, totally different for my early MK IV.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Firewall bushing
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 13:00:04 »
FF,
   I also flipped lever "5" in that diagram round 180deg as it kept getting my leg (in my CRS)
   Big improvement for me.
   Graham