Author Topic: Possible brake problem on MkIV Cobras  (Read 2683 times)

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
Possible brake problem on MkIV Cobras
« on: February 20, 2007, 07:05:18 »
I have recently been contacted by Mr. Gerry Hawkridge who is currently rebuilding a MkIV Cobra. This is an original 12000 mile car which had been off the road for some 7 years due to a severe accident. The car still uses its original BMW front brake calipers and Peugeot rear calipers. However Gerry discovered the calipers internal thread, which take the flexible hoses, are a 10mm fine, whilst the flexible brake hoses external thread were 3/8 UNF Imperial.
   His assumption is the flexible hoses are the cars Factory original set, due to his vehicles low milage and time off the road.
   As this is a safety critical item I felt it important to contact the other MkIV owners via the Forum. I would suggest checking your vehicles particular components to ensure all is well, or not as the case may be.
   Alan Faulkner-Stevens. MkIV Cobra Registrar

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 13:33:57 »
Alan,
     Thank,mine were changed over to stainless by the previous (original owner).

Jan

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 19:08:57 »
Thanks, I will have them changed and save the originals. Jim

ak1234

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 00:08:24 »
Thanks Alan .... I also had premature cooling hose failure .. and my car only has 9k miles on it.  I attribute this to lack of use also, which in some cases could leave you stranded with a HOT SITUATION>  LOL

lightblue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 16:35:01 »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the information.  I assume we are talking about the rear brakes, in which case my car was just the same - I had assumed it was a one-of!! (fronts have a short rigid pipe which was correctly metric at the caliper end).
   Goodridge made some new flexibles with UNF fittings at the inner ends and M10 at the outer.
   One thing I don't remember measuring was the rear bleed-nipple/port threads.  They felt OK but they did not appear to be standard Peugeot 504 so now I'm wondering!
   Does Gerry know if they are also incorrect?

John.