Author Topic: Searching for Pellandini Ace- "Beware1"  (Read 26150 times)

jrlucke

• View Profile
Searching for Pellandini Ace- "Beware1"
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 03:53:21 »
At the end of the front row of the main page and in the front of the photo on the "amenities" tab there appears to be a red Aceca (Rob Fisher's?).

I toured the Candy Store with a group about 15 years ago. Lot's of interesting cars but no AC's at that time.

John

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 16:03:18 »
Thanks John. I was guessing the Ace was sold a long time ago, but was hoping it might be hiding in a corner out of view. I will have to wait and see if Bob responds with any information.

Jay

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 16:03:21 »
From Keith`s archives, here are pages from the California Sports Car Club`s magazine from May, 1960:

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 00:02:59 »
   Nik.

Thank you for posting the above extract from May 1960 issue of The Californian Sports Car Club magazine and thanking you in advance for next friday's  posting
   of extract "Competition Tuning: A.C. Bristol" by Wayne Thoms, reference Car & Driver /April 1961.  Again making reference to  Team Pellandini.

In the meantime do any readers in California know any of the following :-  Tom O'Connor..[?]  Norcross .[?] or  Robitschek..[?]
   who each contributed to the CSCC (MAY 1960) Article.

There must be some hidden Ace Bristol racing Gems in their archives or now in the hands of a relative.  Any info on the Pellandini Ace or any Ace Bristol racing in period would be appreciated..[;)]

Please either post on this thread or pass details onto Jay..

Thank you.

Keith..[:)]..[:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 21:01:50 »
"Competition Tuning: A.C. Bristol" by Wayne Thoms, from Car & Driver Magazine, April 1961.
   Click photos to find larger versions, sorry that the text is a bit patchy in places.

Jim A

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 02:07:51 »
I haven't read that article for 30 + years.  Thanks.  It was hard to tell Stu from some guy who wandered in from the crowd in the pits.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 04:16:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by jrlucke

Walt lives within a couple miles of me. We talked by phone for quite a while a couple years ago while he shared stories of his AC days in the San Francisco Bay area and living on a boat in the San Juans.

As an aside, his son has his Aceca in the north Seattle area awaiting restoration.

I can see if I can get in touch with him.

Hi John, I was wondering if you had a chance to try and contact Walt yet? The other trails have gone cold so we are hoping Walt may be able to help.

Jay

jrlucke

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 23:19:29 »
Jay, I haven't been in touch with Walt for quite a while and just returned from a week+ road trip to Southern CA.

While there I toured the Riverside Raceway museum and conversed with the docent who at one point owned Lew Spencer's Morgan. He was familiar with the racing Ace and his thoughts were that it would be hard to trace. Interesting fellow who while he didn't race he crewed for a bug eye (frog eye to those on the other side of the pond) and worked flag crews at the old Riverside track. He gave a great tour of their collection if anyone is ever in the Riverside area.

John

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 17:24:15 »
John,
   Thanks for any help you might be bale to provide on contacting Walt.
   I have never been to the Riverside Museum, but my parents live close by so the next time I head down there, I will have to swing by and take the tour.

Jay

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 20:50:47 »
Aha! More archive footage has come to light, this time courtesy of Tim Isles:

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 17:21:00 »
   Jay

In response to a blanket email to some 20 ACOC members in USA requesting Information on the Pellandini Ace Bristol.

Received the following email from David DiFrancesco:-

hey Keith....

I see the Morgan team "baby dolls" 1 through 4 are raced in CSRG (vintage sports car racing) at Sears Point and Monterey these past few decades....it might be worth asking the team  where the Pellandini AC wound up....

Best

David DiFrancesco
   BEX208

Jay..

Not sure if you have already explored this avenue.[?]
   Thought I would add to your thread as someone might have direct contact with the Moggy Guys and The  Vintage Sports Car Racing Guys..[;)]

Lets hope a we receive a few positive replies and ID the Pellandini Ace Bristol...[;)]

Cheers

Keith..[;)]

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 18:00:23 »
Jay

In response to a recent group email sent to various US ACOC members reference Information on the Team Pellandini Ace Bristol.

I have received the following from:-

Jerry Rosenstock (BEX229)......

Hi Keith

Sorry, I do not have any information for you.  I do have one person, with whom I will do some follow up.  If it leads to anything I will get back to you.   There are some miscellaneous AC's floating around California.  I have had several owners talk to me about theirs , I usually point them to the ACOC.  So I really have no solid leads for you.

I read the link and the information.  Really very enlightening and worth while reading.

I have very little information about my BEX229 other than the Sebring Class win.
   The second owner when he joined the ACOC stated he was a flag worker in the East USA and saw my car
   running many times.  However I have not been able to substantiate that information. If in your quest, you find some information I would very much appreciate hearing from you.  Dr. Richard Milo was the first owner who raced the car, he lived in Ithaca,  New York.  The second owner/flag man was M.L. Bennett also from Ithaca New York.

Good luck hunting.

Best regards

Jerry Rosenstock..[;)]
   BEX229  

Cheers

Keith ..[:)]

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 12:28:55 »
Photo posted on Keith's behalf......

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 20:15:32 »

Bryan.

Thank you for posting the above picture of Ron Bucknum in The Pellandini Ace Bristol " Beware 1" racing
   number 31. Racing at Riverside. alongside Ace Bristol racing number 106.( ID of Driver and Ace [?])

Very disappointing response todate from USA ACOC members and Classic Sports Car Racing enthusiasts.  Majority of material posted on this thread todate is from
   this side of the pond...[:(]..[:(]  Surely someone reading and following this thread on the US side of the pond has another piece of the jigsaw puzzle to help ID this very successful
   Ace Bristol  " Beware 1" raced by Team Pellandini..

Lew Spencer is now 85 years old, Ron Bucknum, Barbara Windhurst and other Pilots of our Aces raced in the 1950s are now in their 80 or 90s, InfACt many are no
   longer with us.
   History is therefore  Lost Forever, So please dig into those archives and help record information for the Future Custodians of our much loved AC Ace's..[;)]

Keith..[:)]..[:)]

Louism

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 21:10:43 »
quote:
Lew Spencer is now 85 years old, Ron Bucknum, Barbara Windhurst and other Pilots of our Aces raced in the 1950s are now in their 80 or 90s, InfACt many are no
   longer with us.

Perfectly right Keith...
   Saving the memory of Motorsport becomes a race against the clock.

Are you sure the picture above is Riverside ?
   The #106 Ace could be driven by Peter Haywood (BEX 1063).

Regards
   Louis