Author Topic: Team AC on Facebook  (Read 3318 times)

Chafford

• View Profile

SJ351

• View Profile
Team AC on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 21:08:23 »
Steve Gray at AC Heritage told me about this last week when we were discussing some paint work on my Cobra. It is a factory approved effort to keep the AC brand and official AC logo in the public eye I believe at selected classic car events both here and possibly in Europe. It begins at the Brooklands Double Twelve event in June and there will be official Team AC stickers and merchandise available. Sounds like a nice idea.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Team AC on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 21:53:10 »
It`s a shame that the Double Twelve and the Cholmondeley Pageant of Power clash again this year, it`s a great event & AC were well represented last year with Richard Wright`s 'Cobras at the Castle' bringing some of the best Cobras in the land together!

Old Crock

• View Profile
Team AC on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 13:54:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by SJ351

....to keep the AC brand...in the public eye. It begins at the Brooklands Double Twelve event....

When opening the Facebook page there are two vintage cars at Montlhéry, the site of the factory’s greatest achievements in motor sport (probably!), namely in 1925 when Gillett broke the 24-hr record (2000 miles in 24hr 13m averaging 82.58mph) and later in 1927 when the Bruces smashed various records including breaking the world’s 15000 mile record (real derring-do, with Victor Bruce nearly killing himself in the process). These were AC factory-entered cars and the results allowed incredible promotion and PR at the time, and still remain most impressive.

I assume AC Heritage, and the current factory, will capitalise on the return of two vintage cars to this track. If the Montlhéry-bodied Six had been there, even better! They should elaborate on historical detail on the Facebook page, and now send out a press release with a title, something like, ‘Two Vintage AC’s return to Montlhéry, scene of the company’s great track successes in the 1920’s’. I have no doubt this would be picked up by the likes of Motor Sport, The Automobile, Classic and Sportscar and achieve that stated aim of ‘keeping the AC brand in the public eye’.

So, I would say the effort has truly started already (and not still has to begin).

Incidentally, I don’t believe AC Cars ever entered the Brooklands Double-Twelve (private individuals did), though they did enter the 200-mile race. At one time I was driving an Invicta 4.5 that was raced in the Double-Twelve in the early thirties – I wonder what happened to that (and what value now)?

Here’s a rare shot of Bruce at Montlhéry:

Old Crock

• View Profile
Team AC on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 16:32:12 »
A correction to my posting above: A team was formed by the works to have a crack at the Double-12 in 1922 at Brooklands, with "Sammy" Davis among the drivers. AC did win their class (at a record average of 71.23 mph) although it was considered, at the time, that the team cars, in general, suffered from lack of adequate preparation.