Author Topic: Wheel Balancing  (Read 2450 times)

twogreens

• View Profile
Wheel Balancing
« on: February 26, 2007, 12:24:44 »
Does anyone know of or can recommend someone who can balance splined hub wheels in the Essex, Suffolk, Herts area?

Regards to all
   Two Greens

nikbj68

• View Profile
Wheel Balancing
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 14:58:32 »
It really shouldn`t matter, as the balancing machines clamp through the wheel and can be calibrated to allow for the width of the hub.
   (As long as the tyre fitter mounts them correctly, as shown HERE)
   Have you had trouble getting them done?

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Wheel Balancing
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 17:51:56 »
I had a couple of new front tyres fitted recently and the fitter had no problems centring the wheel on the balance machine. Apparently they don't need to spin wheels up to high rpm any more in order to balance them. Two suggestions/recommendations (which may be obvious), ask the fitter to take extra care not to mark the rim when removing the old valve and ask for the wheels to be "blind weighted" so the stick-on weights don't get placed on the polished rim.
   John.

PS: FYI, tyres I've just had fitted are Khumo Ecsta SPT http://www.kumhotire.com/tire/tire_detail.jsp?prdt_id=16 and so far I'm very pleased with them.
   John.

shep

• View Profile
Wheel Balancing
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 22:38:00 »
I used to have awful trouble trying to balance splined hub wire wheels. The tyre bays all used a male cone which clamped on the INSIDE of the wheel centre. On the car I could see the spinner clamps on the OUTSIDE of the wheel centre using a female cone. I found an old dog-eared spinner and machined a hole through the front face so the tyre bay could use it as an adaptor between the wheel and the balancer's lock nut. Bingo! No problems ever again.

The 16 year old tyre fitters will swear blind it doesn't make a difference and only do it to humour me, but I know different and my wheels now balance perfectly.

Andy.