Author Topic: Mk IV - Engines and Diffs  (Read 2320 times)

twogreens

• View Profile
Mk IV - Engines and Diffs
« on: July 24, 2006, 14:00:20 »
Dear All,
   Well I've followed everyone's advice - spoken to Alan about MkIV's, spoke to Brian about insurance, taken the plunge and bought a Mk IV EFI.

Two new questions if I may.

A popular option seems to be to change the diff ratio from the standard 3.3 to 3.7.  Can I ask, for anyone that has done this, have you really found this to be of benefit?

Secondly, has anyone converted their EFI to Holley carb and, if so, again, was it worth while?

Kind Regards
   Two Greens

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 14:32:25 »
That was quick.
   Congratulations!

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 16:11:22 »
Hi Twogreens, well done and welcome, what year is your Mk IV ? If it is a '91 or before you can take the cats off for a start and help it breath. No I have not changed the gear ratio as I like the tall gearing, 70mph is a very relaxed 1800/2000 rpm and I find it relaxing to use the torque to make progress instead of revving the engine hard.
   I had my engine converted from EFI to Holley and de-catted last year by Thunder road, they also removed a lot of extraneous clutter from the engine bay (but don't throw the bits away because other members may want/need something).Since the changes the engine breaths and goes a little better and I'm very pleased with the work. If you want to give me an e-mail address I can send you before and after photos fyi. Are you in the UK ?
   I had my clutch cable fail a few days ago (11,500 miles) and a few of us Mk IV owners are looking to get a batch made up, have a look at the thread on this site. I would suggest you carry spare clutch and throttle cables and other sensible bits - check with Alan at Thunder Road and / or Alan Faulkner-Stevens (Mk IV sec for the ACOC).
   I hope you get a great deal of pleasure and a lot of enjoyable miles from ownership.
   Cheers - John.

Mark-Anthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 18:16:25 »
Damn Twogreens!  You don't hang around!

Still - you should have bought a CRS, they don't bend when fat B'staads like me sit on the wings!

Congratulations and Welcome.  Do join the club.

As to carb conversions see the previous threads on the topic, and speak to Alan F-S concerning the likelihood of MOT failure.  Be very VERY careful before you mess with emission levels - it has kept me off the road for two summers now!

Best Wishes

Mark-Anthony