Author Topic: New Continuation Cobras???  (Read 15160 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
New Continuation Cobras???
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 16:10:13 »
Darn it! I didn`t intend to re-open this can of worms again!
   My post should probably have read "Gerry`s cars don`t have an AC badge on them when they leave the factory" And I have seen many Hawks upon which the owners are (rightly) proud to leave the maker`s mark.
   I`m also of the opinion that the current vehicles of whichever model offered by AC are of a much higher quality than those which drew earlier criticism, and like so many, wish to see AC thrive and survive!

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 20:36:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Darn it! I didn`t intend to re-open this can of worms again!
   My post should probably have read "Gerry`s cars don`t have an AC badge on them when they leave the factory" And I have seen many Hawks upon which the owners are (rightly) proud to leave the maker`s mark.
   I`m also of the opinion that the current vehicles of whichever model offered by AC are of a much higher quality than those which drew earlier criticism, and like so many, wish to see AC thrive and survive!

The MkVI factory in Germany seems to be a hive of activity:

http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2214&whichpage=2

SJ351

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 23:15:16 »
The new 'composite' bodied MK2 is undeniably beautifully built and finnished to an extremely high standard. I wonder how the price would compare with a fully professionally built Hawk and what the difference in value would be 40 years from now? The undeniable appeal of the Hawk kit Cobras is obvious. A pure cost benefit analysis of Kirkhan versus genuine MK3 would result in the sale of the genuine article with £200k change in the back pocket if most wives had anything to do with it. The driving experience is the same but genuine manufacturer's brand and provenance also feature for those the can afford to be fussy. The success of the 289 Register and their massive turn out at the Silverstone Classic cannot be ignored.
   The term 'Badge Engineering' is not new and arguably could be applied to orininal Shelby Cobra's. Shelby ordered rolling body-chassis units from AC Cars and applied his own name and badge to them while AC marketed their own version. We had the 428 'Frua', the 3000 ME that became the 'Ecosse Signature'and more recently the Perana that became the new AC Zagato shaped coupe. Whatever theowner of the AC brand builds, it will be a GENUINE AC. As long as the 'AC Owners Club' exists, owners of AC cars old and new, from invalid carriage to Cobra to new composite car and new coupe will feel entitled to be welcomed and included by the organisation. That is what our great hobby is all about.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 10:05:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by B.P.Bird
   .........We all hope for a rapprochement between The Club and The Company leading to a united front against the flagrant plagiarism which is now the norm. This will not happen so long as Members continue to indulge in gratuitous insults to A.C. and the efforts they are making to get back in to production. Not every Club Member loves every A.C. model produced, but we surely tolerate each others tastes. That same toleration must be extended to The Company. That does not mean agreeing with every policy, but it does mean having a regard to The Company's wellbeing and choosing where and how to voice criticism.
   We can all see the obvious disadvantages of 'badge engineering' and yet this may be a route back to healthy production.
   We are The Owners' Club, not The Board of Directors and mutual respect will only be re-established if our criticism is constructive.

Barry, I fully support what you say...

Just one little detail that gives me some headaches:  "We are the Owners' Club"... Whereas I do know about you and me  and some others, I do not know if all here are part of the Owners' Club. This is a public Forum and should better he called: "The AC Forum on the AC Owners' Club website". It is hence difficult for me and maybe for others to fully appreciate the contents of a post here.

It would help if the Forum would indicate under the details of the pseudonym the eventual suffix "ACOC Member".

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 12:04:25 »
I think the difference between the cost of an original AC Cobra and a shiny new Kirkham would not be £200,000. More likely somewhere between £300,000 and £400,000, working from the latest 'creative' asking prices.

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 14:22:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

I think the difference between the cost of an original AC Cobra and a shiny new Kirkham would not be £200,000. More likely somewhere between £300,000 and £400,000, working from the latest 'creative' asking prices.

+1, Perhaps even more if you include cars without skeletons in the closet. [;)]

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 17:34:20 »
Trying to piece together the modern AC marque is a bit like a jigsaw puzzle. We know from his charming and slightly chaotic website that Steve Gray will build you a very nice aluminium car in Brooklands and AC Automotive's recently updated website indicates progress is being made on the Mk VI in Germany. The missing pieces in the jigsaw relate to AC's tie up with Hi Tech. There's nothing on the web, apart from the single aforementioned example of the Mk11 classic to suggest that production of the Mk11 and 378GT is up and running at Jimmy Price's factory. A bit of a mystery!

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 20:02:17 »
Yes indeed young Skywalker - is big mystery :)

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 19:42:36 »
Now priced at £59,500 plus vat

dwoodwar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 16:17:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

In every case I would cheerfully kick the perpetrator all round the car park ....

Its a sad day to hear you speak like that Trevor.