Author Topic: New Continuation Cobras???  (Read 15082 times)

shep

• View Profile
New Continuation Cobras???
« on: April 23, 2013, 23:39:44 »
Has anyone else spotted this advert on AutoTrader?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212204692529/sort/default/usedcars/make/ac/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/rg265eb/page/1/radius/1500/advert-type/standard-listing?logcode=ucbnp

It appears to herald the production of 50 "continuation Cobras" manufactured by AC Cars. What, where, when, and by who springs to mind.

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 23:48:31 »
Looking at the engine bay and boot (trunk) photos, do I spy glass fibre bodywork which is not wrapped round the chassis tubes? 79k seems steep for a GRP based body.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 00:44:03 »
I guess you were too busy racing at Goodwood to visit Steve Gray`s AC Heritage display(only a stone`s-throw from Bill`s Mustang area)? That was unveiled there, and I have to say, looks rather good.
   It`s also on eBay at the same price.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 08:32:11 »
looks good...
   looks like front suspension has antirollbar fitted...

but is it that new news? see this link
   http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/pop_printer_friendly.asp?TOPIC_ID=2213

maybe new for the 50th anniv special edition
   this car advertised as a used car here  http://bossmotor.co.uk/used-car-ac-cobra-continuation-convertible-43

hope that there will be more than one on the road in the future

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 14:30:52 »
Correct, it's the 'HiTech' car from sunny South Africa, as offered for sale since last year. Could prove to be a rare beast but I do hope not :(

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 14:34:55 »
Andy,

A better place would be the ‘Recent ACs’ section.

This is the ‘AC Mark II Classic’, announced by press release on & March 2012. It’s made (very occasionally) by High-Tec Automotive, with a composite body.

Later in the year it became the ‘50th Anniversary Edition’, with a small number of refinements including the dashboard plaque signed by Gen. Sir Jeremy Mackenzie.

It is not clear what practical feature this car offers that cannot be provided by Gerry Hawkridge and I’ve not heard of any sales, although last summer Cyprus-based holding company AC Cars (EU) Ltd announced sales targets (all AC models) as ‘80 sales a year in the UK and 200 in Europe’.

R

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 17:45:25 »
Robin. Gerry`s cars don`t have an AC badge on them.

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 20:41:24 »
Nik,

A considerable number do and I have absolutely no problem with it, as long as the car is not misdescribed when selling.

How much would I pay for a badge or a name on a tax disc, over and above that paid for the engineering and quality of the car and the assurance of an after-sales service? Nothing. It's not what it called that matters; it's what it is.

This applies to all products made by companies that want to keep their customers, and is vital to those trying to build a customer base, such as AC.

RS

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 21:04:03 »
This is an early version of the composite Mk11 classic and is the car that has been on sale at Boss Motor Company, AC's official dealers, since the end of last year. The site until recently had an enquiry page for AC cars but this has now been removed. There is no further information on the Hi Tech produced Mk 11 Classic and AC 378 GT Zagato on the Boss website.

Superformance UK will sell you essentially the same composite bodied Mk11 for £20,000 less (without the AC badges though!)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 22:52:58 »
No, But it will "legally" have the Shelby badges and it comes with a proper dealer network....

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 23:14:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

No, But it will "legally" have the Shelby badges and it comes with a proper dealer network....

I thought only Shelby's CSX cars could legally display the Shelby/Cobra badges. The Superformance version, although licenced by Shelby, isn't the official Shelby product.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 01:09:25 »
Oh Dear ! Am I the only A.C. enthusiast who believes that The Badge means something ? I have nothing but admiration for those who replicate A.C.'s creations, but I draw the line at use of The Badge. I do not denigrate the cars from Gerry Hawkridge, far from it, but the badge they should be proud to wear is the Hawk badge. To pretend they are A.C.s is to devalue the original and demean the copy. It has moreover led to a general confusion over what an A.C. is amongst even 'car enthusiast' members of the public.
   All of life is an experience and to to be introduced to an old soldier who can wear The Victoria Cross is a great honour. To find subsequently that the old chap was not entitled and that the experience was a fraud would leave one disillusioned. Hardly on the same scale, but every misuse of The A.C. motif reduces its worth.
   The irony of the situation, in which A.C. have come to allow use of their trademark by anyone in the world who chooses, whilst rescinding the granting of this honour, by The Hurlocks, to The A.C.O.C., is obvious to all.
   We all hope for a rapprochement between The Club and The Company leading to a united front against the flagrant plagiarism which is now the norm. This will not happen so long as Members continue to indulge in gratuitous insults to A.C. and the efforts they are making to get back in to production. Not every Club Member loves every A.C. model produced, but we surely tolerate each others tastes. That same toleration must be extended to The Company. That does not mean agreeing with every policy, but it does mean having a regard to The Company's wellbeing and choosing where and how to voice criticism.
   We can all see the obvious disadvantages of 'badge engineering' and yet this may be a route back to healthy production.
   We are The Owners' Club, not The Board of Directors and mutual respect will only be re-established if our criticism is constructive.

3.5 Pints at the Bar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 11:27:18 »
Barrie, you can count 2 enthusiasts (I'm sure there are lots more!) who value the badge. 'Replicas' fill a demand in the market, and the makers should have pride in what they create. The AC company have a difficult task to survive in an era where economy of scale of production has become the norm. And development costs for modern levels of reliability are no doubt huge. So the company may have no option but to do whatever is possible to keep afloat. With healthy finances in the future, then maybe new models to stir the blood will emerge? I think most AC enthusiasts are inherently "optimists"!

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 11:31:44 »
Respectfully, I don't see any 'criticism' of AC on this thread....or have I missed something?

However, I do agree 100% on the subject of adding illegal badges to replica automobiles! In every case I would cheerfully kick the perpetrator all round the car park (having first checked for a means of escape) It makes me a little annoyed....

Having driven most of Gerry's personal cars I can categorically state that having the Hawk or Kirkham badge on the steering wheel boss makes no difference whatsoever to the business in hand! Adding a 'fake' badge changes nothing.

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 13:21:35 »
Certainly no criticism of the AC company or the Mk11 Classic on this thread. From the photos on the Boss website the car looks like a high quality product.  And discussing badge engineering here isn't a criticm, merely a statement of fact.