Author Topic: Billy Joel's Cobra for sale thru Exotic Classics  (Read 4632 times)

SunDude

• View Profile
Billy Joel's Cobra for sale thru Exotic Classics
« on: April 06, 2013, 02:04:10 »
I just came across the following listing for AK1059, an Autokraft MkIV "Cobra" roadster, which is for sale through Exotic Classics in Syosset, New York.  No affiliation with the seller; am just posting for interest's sake.

###

1985 Shelby Cobra by Autokraft | Call for Price
   http://www.exoticclassics.com/1985-shelby-cobra-by-auto-kraft-c-133.htm

1985 Autokraft Mark IV Shelby Cobra
   VIN#SA9AK3022FAO17059

Original owner was singer Billy Joel.

Black with black leather interior.AC Cobra AK3022 [sic] has a handmade aluminum body, manufactured AC factory in Surrey England, at the Brooklands facility using the original jigs,dyes and bucks that were used to make the original 1960s Shelby Cobras. The Autokraft Mark IVs were so accurate in the way they were manufactured that they are listed in the Shelby Registry. All bodies and chassis are stamped with the original AC factory markings.

1 of only 385 made, weighs only 2600 lbs, powered by 302 Ford V8 producing 400 hp. 5 speed manual Tremec transmission. Top speed of 134 mph. 0-60 5.2 sec. Halibrand SC Cobra Wheels. Soft convertible top with side windows.

Leather seats, Smith gauges, full independent suspension, tubular steel frame front to back, 4 wheel power hydraulic disc brakes. $45,000 when new.

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 18:12:32 »
I saw this car advertised in the current issue of Sports Car Market magazine, not realizing it was this particular car from the magazine ad.  Went on the web site and saw all the photos and details and called the dealer.  Asking price is $124,900.  Dealer claims they have all the service history and records showing Billy Joel was the owner, but know the complete story after reading the Club Cobra posting on this subject.

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 23:50:24 »
NO, NO, NO!!!

It was NOT Billy's car, I sold it new. It was his brother-in-law and if Billy ever owned it it was due to the lawsuit.

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 00:12:20 »
Rick, what I meant to convey in my posting is that based on the Club Cobra comments you made, I know that this car was NOT sold new to Billy Joel (in contradiction to what the dealer said).  Sorry for any confusion.  With all that being said, it does look overall like a pretty nice car. [:)]

quote:
Originally posted by Mark IV

NO, NO, NO!!!

It was NOT Billy's car, I sold it new. It was his brother-in-law and if Billy ever owned it it was due to the lawsuit.

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 01:48:37 »
Not yelling at you, just at the continued myth about this car!

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 03:12:06 »
quote:

Not yelling at you, just at the continued myth about this car!

No offense taken Rick!  I can imagine it can be frustrating though to see certain myths perpetuated.  Fortunately, there are those on the board such as yourself who have first hand knowledge of these sorts of things.

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 19:28:36 »
quote:

NO, NO, NO!!!

They are not hearing you!  It's on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shelby-Other-Cobra-1985-autokraft-/151042145162?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item232ad03b8a&vxp=mtr
   Interesting, it must be overheating a lot... has two water temp gauges (no clock)! [:D]

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 00:03:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by ANF289

quote:

NO, NO, NO!!!

They are not hearing you!  It's on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shelby-Other-Cobra-1985-autokraft-/151042145162?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item232ad03b8a&vxp=mtr
   Interesting, it must be overheating a lot... has two water temp gauges (no clock)! [:D]

Looks like the auction ended today at $52,100 with the reserve unmet.  Pretty low price that it was bid up to.  I guess the celebrity provenance did not add any value......[:D]