Author Topic: Waterless coolant for MK 4  (Read 4498 times)

ak1040

• View Profile
Waterless coolant for MK 4
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:35:26 »
Hi has anyone used this waterless system ? If so was there any problems , could you share your opinions with me . Thanks Neil

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 13:13:40 »
I'm not aware of any problems, but I've not used it (yet).
   I’m thinking of using the coolant. It’s called Evans waterless engine coolants and is promoted by Ed China the TV mechanic from Wheeler Dealers. I was at Race Retro the other week and had a long chat with Ed on the Evans stand. Also though my car does not exhibit cooling problems I understand there are additional benefits to using the product ie more effective cooling at hot-spots due to no localised boiling/bubbling, non-pressurised cooling system and better corrosion protection due to no water in the system.
   The fluid is a replacement not an additive and I understand the most important thing is to make sure all water is removed prior to refilling. Evans supply a fluid to remove water, but they also recommend using an airline to blow as much water from the system as possible (including the heater core). I think the water removing fluid can be used a number of times if you plan on converting multiple cars. The actual coolant is almost a “fit and forget”.
   Here are a couple of links FYI
   http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/news/wheeler-dealers-%E2%80%93-watch-now!--edd-china%E2%80%99s-triumph-tr6-conversion-./43

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/waterless-engine-coolant/1376127/

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 16:25:35 »
Hi Neil. We discussed this (briefly) last year HERE and I mentioned that Dad uses Castrol 4Life rather than Evans in the Greyhound. It seems to have the same freezing & boiling points, but is much cheaper than the Evans Coolant(£20 for 5 litres comapred to £65). No problems noted after a year. As for the Evans flushing fluid(£40), it might be just as effective to run a gallon of 4life through to clear water from the system and just bin it (or heat it to 100°c to boil the water off?!)

How much coolant does the entire system hold(including block & heater, not just draining the rad)? Couple of gallons, 3...more?? It could cost you £210 or more to flush & fill with Evans compared to £40 (or £80 if you flush & chuck 10 litres) with 4Life!

ak1040

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 19:15:31 »
Hi guys thanks for that I have not come across this product till now , and would like to use it on the ac but is it DIY job or the garage ? She has no heater as she was converted to AKL in 89 by AK  factory,so could it be done at home? Neil

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 20:25:29 »
Definitely a home job. you will need to drain the block as well as the radiator, to try to remove as much water as possible, it was easier for us having stripped & rebuilt the engine, but a tiny amount of water shouldn`t have much effect.
   You should be able to run it with the radiator cap off to vent any steam from any water that may be left in the system, as the 4Life won`t boil at under 180°c.
   Let us know if you think there is any performance benefit!
   Cheers, Nik.

ak1040

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 08:08:07 »
Hi have used shell4life on my Healey and it is going well so now for the AK1040 or do I try it on my 23 split  VW ? but it's it is air cooled maybe not .
   Is anybody that is going on the Spanish Tour in May staying in Portsmouth the previous night , if so do you know of any good hotels with secure parking ?

ak1040

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 08:29:34 »
Hi  have now done the MK IV and it is running cooler than before ! You do need an air line.The big test will be the Pyrenees can't wait